Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Yes. Nowadays, all of the services offer a DVR function. For some, like fuboTV & YouTubeTV, they are free. SlingTV (part of Dish) and DirecTVNow there is a DVR fee ($5-$10 per month).

Other services like ESPN+, BRLive, DAZN have the games on file (on Demand) so no need to DVR.

On Tuesday, it was the same match but on Wednesday, Univision Deportes showed Ajax v Real Madrid, so you will often get a different match from what TNT is showing. BTW, now that it's down to 2 matches per day, Univision Deportes is mirroring UniMas for the same match, while the 2nd match is on Galavision. But you are right, no matches on Univision's main channel (they did during Group Stage).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

2. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    ESPN+ has its matches archived up for at least 30 days, B/R Live has all of its matches going back to last summer available to watch on-demand, etc, so there's no need for a DVR.

It's not necessarily about cutting the cord - these are add-on services, not replacements for cable/satellite, which as SA pointed out can be watched in full HD with a streaming device that's as cheap as $25-30.

3. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    For me it would be cutting the cord.

Not adding on.

My television bill is expensive enough.

What kind of internet speed do you need?

I believe I am at 10 meg (I live rural).

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN+ has so many games in so many sports. MLS, the FA Cup, and Serie A are significant. For MLS, it's cheaper than MLS Live was. For the FA Cup, it's the first time every game can be watched (except for some replays). For Serie A, every game was on TV or on beIN Sports Connect, but this is the first time every Serie A game can be watched whenever you want. For many colleges, you can watch almost every game with ESPN+ and hardly any games without it. ESPN+ has more games at a cheaper price than any other paid streaming service.

If all you have to do is buy a Roku or Fire Stick, it's a one time purchase (until if and when you buy a newer model which is also true for phones and computers), not a monthly charge.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far I have yet to see any streaming provider that I use, offer anything remotely close to the functionality or ease of use that I get with my DVR. For me that includes primarily NBC/Gold & ESPN/+

6. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    That is probably my biggest reason to not stream.

For me MLS is not that big of a deal. I won't start watching MLS until after the European seasons are over and once the European leagues start I will stop watching altogether. Since the WC was last year I barely watched. I might watch a little more but Gold Cup and WWC will interfere this year.

I enjoyed watching the FA Cup but didn't need and probably don't have the time to watch every game.

Same thing with Serie A. I was restricted by waiting for beIN to broadcast the game so I could DVR but then again I can't spend all weekend just watching soccer.

I typically worked my way through the games I wanted to see during the week.

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    TNT stream crapped out on my in the 80th minute o_O

8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Everything is still going smooth on the B/R Live side of things

9. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not for me. Also lost B/R Live feed for about 5 min around 80th minute. Got a "We're experiencing technical difficulties" message, so definitely admission of guilt from B/R Live.

I've been a subscriber for just a week and way too many technical problems with both CL and Europa League games. I watched on the Univision app for the group stage with no issues whatsoever--will probably go back there when my one-month B/R Live subscription expires.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, what kind of steroids is Mo Edu on?

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've just been lucky it seems. I used Chromium and Chromecast app and that played BR Live with ease. The only problem I had with the service was playing live game on their garbage FireTV app...

12. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know it probably was not a ratings juggernaut in the US but, I miss Champions League Magazine.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched yesterday's Real-Ajax match on DVR. I had semi-intentionally avoided spoilers yesterday because I thought this match might be a rare one worth watching (for several reasons, including B/R, I'm following UCL less closely this season). And I'm so glad I did!!

I was able to experience the excitement of this match, as if I was watching it live, because of how DVR's work. It made all the difference, not knowing the outcome up front.

Which left me wondering, would I have had any much chance of doing this via their streaming platform, without their website or app spoiling the result? (someone in another forum said yes)

14. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Answered on the original thread: yes, you could on different platforms.

15. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides being available on demand spoiler free on B/R and Fubo, it’s also available on demand on directv (and I imagine other cable/satellite/streaming providers). IMG_1518.jpg

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    When I used the B/R Live Roku app in the fall I watched match replays without seeing any in-app spoilers. The same can be said when it comes to watching Premier League matches on NBC Sports Gold or a variety of sports on ESPN's app.

17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think the difference is you can't start it while it is going on. At least that is how it is with the ESPN app. But yeah, if you getting home in the evening and the game is finished, you watch it from the beginning.

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    DVR has advantages, but they vary depending on your TV service. Still, the difference between watching a game that has been DVR'd vs. streaming the same game once it is finished is negligible. I don't really have a dog in the fight considering I have YouTube TV (incl. DVR) and also utilize non-DVR streaming apps.

I'd rather watch a replay on DVR, but I wouldn't cling to a TV service simply because of the DVR experience.

19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Still no highlights of one game on BR youtube channel. It looks like they strictly work 9-5 hours.

20. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Just checked univision deportes youtube channel. Everything is there, including all europa league highlights. Unsubscribed from BR.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is that because they put the official highlights show behind the paywall?

Oh and thanks for the tip on Univision YouTube.

22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #547 QPR Kevin H, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Though today's highlights are now up on B/R Live YouTube :)

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't want to spoil anything for any person who still has not seen the matches.

I will say in a vague way that it was nice to see TNT switch over to another match at the end and show the ending. They certainly did not have to do that.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With the post-match show built in at the end (allowing the time), that's the smart play. More people will stick around for live drama.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  25. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    UDN did the same as well...

HomietheClown repped this.