Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No Champs League round of 16 matches on the main Univision channel? That seems kind of odd, given that they showed group stage matches. Maybe they just want to give UniMas and Galavision the exposure?

3. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Feels strange that none of the Univision networks chose to pick up Arsenal for Europa, no? I get that they chose a La Liga club, but is Rennes/Real Betis really going to do better numbers?

4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Ah, Martin Tyler on the world feed for Man Utd-PSG on TNT. Hopefully this signals the end of the Stuart Holden-Steve Nash crapapolooza they went with in the late rounds of the group stage.

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  5. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    B/R Live was decent today for Roma/Porto

Just had to Chromium to watch

6. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Betis has Guardado and Lainez, so the answer is probably yes.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes indeed.
    Teams with Mexican players always get priority scheduling.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Had a feeling that must be the case. Cool that the Mexican-americans support their players because I have an eye-roll fest when Tim Ream or Lynden Gooch are gracing the games I'm watching.

9. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I bought B/R Live's monthly pass yesterday for the first time and caught ManU-PSG on delay yesterday without any problem.

Today's live Ajax-Real is another story. There's buffering and my feed has already cut off three times. My internet connection is fine (checked all three times the feed cut off).

Does anyone have the same problem? And for those of you who've had the service for a while, is it a common occurrence on B/R's live feeds?

10. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm watching Spurs/Dortmund right now and I found no issue running it on Chromium. Every other browser had its hiccups and the stream kept timing out on them

bwiorly repped this.
  11. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #511 bwiorly, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    I'm using the B/R app on Amazon Fire TV.. Second half a lot smoother but I'm still bothered by the first half issues. I watched the whole group stage on the Univision app in the fall and never had a single problem.

I'll take this as a $10 one-month trial of B/R Live, but if this issues persist, I'll find other options for the quarters.

12. Mario in SJ

Mario in SJ Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Champions's League/Europa League is no more for me. One or 2 games a week or pay for it? Oh well it was great while it lasted.

13. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Anyone know how long it takes for B/R live to make replays available? When I watched the CL/EL in the fall I was behind so I didn't get to the matches to watch until days later so it was never an issue, but today I'm caught up and it's about an hour after the 12:55 ET matches have ended and I'm getting a "replay will be available soon" for each of them I check.

14. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Usually, it's a day or two max. That site is pretty unreliable for replays. Some of them don't work for me even a week after the game was played :D

Art Deco repped this.
  15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Use Univision networks and streaming, friend. There's more available via free tv and with regular cable/sat accounts than ever before. Paying for it is only necessary if you must watch it all in English.

Also, I started following the Champs League in the 90s when we got one, then eventually two, matches per week on ESPN2. More if you had access to a bar that could rip down more from satellites. I didn't give up on the competition back then.

TJNash and BocaFan repped this.
  16. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Guess today the turnaround time was 2 hours as the early starts have now shown up.

17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS.BORUSSIA DORTMUND TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION 2:44 PM 140 0.12 271k

UEFA C.L. 2019 WED: AFC AJAX / REAL MADRID UDN 2:30 PM 150 0.07 169k

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would imagine a lot more people saw Ajax-Real on Unimas.

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep, that's why I emphasized UDN. Tough to find UniMas ratings unless Univision brag to press about it.

20. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    I won't give up on it. I will watch the games on television and then have to watch the highlight show after the game (which I never did with Fox because I was watching the games).

Streaming? Just not interested. I would have to hook up my laptop to the tv which is just too much work for me. I have done it just not a fan.

I have a hard time believing that TNT is making money on the streaming option. Same thing with ESPN+.

I just can't imagine streaming is mainstream.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do think TNT dropped the ball on the knockout stages.
    They could have put one of the games on TBS or even TruTV.
    Make it seem like a big event like they do the NCAA tournament.

22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Lothsor, if you are hooking up your laptop to the TV you are doing it wrong. Nothing personal but it drives me nuts when people equate "streaming" with their computer. Spend $40 on a FireTV stick, or Roku and you get the ESPN, BRLive as well as YouTubeTV, SlingTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. apps and pick and choose which services you wish to pay for. Make your TV a "Smart TV". The picture quality will be better than hooking up your computer and the TV - for example, ESPN+ streams at 60fps and the quality is insane. It all works wirelessly so no extra cables to hook up.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

TJNash, Art Deco and portugamerifinn repped this.
  23. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Roku express is only $25. Plus all the champions leagues games ARE on TV. All games are on the Univision networks and even TNT shows half the games at this stage.

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe. Would be cool. But they're also not fragmenting their audience this way (on top of an audience that's already fragmented by sharing with Univision networks).

Audiences this year on TNT:
    UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS.BORUSSIA DORTMUND TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION 2:44 PM 140 0.12 271k

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: MANCHESTER UNITED VS. PARIS SAINT-GERMAI TURNER NETWORK TELEVISION 2:45 PM 142 0.21 453k

Last year on FS1 (with other matches on FOX channels)

UCL ROUND OF 16 L: JUVENTUS FOOTBALL CLUB/TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOX SPORTS 1 2:30 PM 150 0.09 270k

UCL ROUND OF 16 L: REAL MADRID/PARIS ST-GERMAIN FOX SPORTS 1 2:30 PM 150 0.17 392k

Pretty close, maybe Man Utd pushed TNT up a bit. But they also didn't have English language viewers splitting off as much to a sister channel. And they keep some value in the B/R Live package for annual subscribers.

25. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    I guess I am happy with what I have I pay 73.00 per month for 290 channels through Dish.

I know I don't watch all of them but I like to have the option..

Can you DVR games? I don't usually get to watch games live due to work and family commitments.

Maybe someday I will cut the cord. It won't be today though.

I still have a hard time believing that Turner shows the Champions League games streaming to more people than what Fox was showing them on telenvision. I would have to see numbers to believe that. Actually the same with Serie A. Used to be on beIN which I have and you can't tell me more people are streaming those games than watching on beIN.

If something like missing the last two minutes of the Super Bowl happened to me I probably would be happy.

I have Univision and I didn't see any Champions League or Europa League games on this past week. Used to have Univision Deportes (until Dish dropped them) and they showed the same games as those on TNT.