Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perhaps Turner wants people to buy into their streaming network. But if I am not mistaken Univision pretty much shows all the matches on their streaming website, so there goes that.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I stumbled across a B/R Live technical issue last night that still hasn't been fixed. I was watching the end of the Vorskla-Sporting match on replay via B/R Live's Roku app. At 85:47, the picture cut out to a screen that was half pink and half black. It stayed that way until 92:05, missing Sporting's equalizer and just barely catching the winner. This was consistent with the web version of the replay.

The highlight show has the missing goal, so it's not like there was a technical issue at the stadium that caused the missing six minutes to be lost to the sands of time. Video of the missing minutes exists, but those pulling the strings for B/R Live don't think it's worth fixing the match video.

Not a huge deal, but it definitely makes B/R Live look like a half-assed operation.

3. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It isn't good, honestly. They are new TBF but they need to step their streaming game up quick.

I'm glad I didn't shell out any cash for that sh!tshow.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is exactly why the Turner outlets talk about it. They don't want you going elsewhere.

5. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought they stopped that?

I remember when the games were on ABC, ESPN2 and ESPN3. For the game that was on ESPN2, I had just switched providers and had to turn to a dedicated ESPN alternate channel. Eventually, those games were on the "regular" ESPN2, but I only got them in SD.

6. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Too late for that :D

7. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B/R or Fox Sports World.

At least one operation is HD and routinely shows people in the studio. With maybe one or two exceptions, most of FSW could have been produced out of a closet.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did stop that. Enough people get ESPN2 that I don't think it's necessary to make sure teams are on broadcast in their market. As for ESPN alternate channels, there are College Sports Extra channels. Sometimes a game is on a RSN and blacked out on College Sports Extra.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes the 3:30 college football game every Saturday is an abc/espn2 regional game. Been that way for years. It used to be 3:30 game was on abc or the ppv option. These days all college football is somewhere to be found

11. Lothsor

Lothsor Red Card

Oct 19, 2018
    Are Univision Deportes or Univision televising any games this Matchday?

I have Dish and there are no games listed?

Is there a listing on the web somewhere?

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap

UDN
    AEK Athens FC vs. FC Bayern Munich
    LIVE
    12:30 PM

Univision and UDN
    Manchester United FC vs. Juventus FC
    LIVE
    2:50 PM

UDN
    PSV Eindhoven vs. Tottenham Hotspur FC
    LIVE
    12:30 PM

Univision and UDN
    FC Barcelona vs. FC Internazionale Milano
    LIVE
    2:50 PM

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #413 NorthBank, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    My DVR says:

Gala: Anderlecht v Fenerbahce
    Futura: Milan v Betis

That's for the lowly Europa League of course!

Can anyone confirm that? Because I was kind of banking on Arsenal being on Gala again. So I may have to resort to the dreaded r/soccerstreams this week, which I'm happy to say I haven't had to do in months if not years.

Edit: WAIT! Does B/R have some way of buying just one match for $3? If so, I'm all over that.

14. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guide has Sporting-Arsenal on UDN.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, any single European match costs $3 AFAIK.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Right you are! When I did a search for Europa matches in my guide the first time it didn't show me that. But when I go to Univision it does. I happy.

17. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    You just cost Turner $3 :)

18. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Europe League TV listings - http://soccertvblog.com/uefa-el-tv/

SA

19. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Thursday 25, 3:00pm:

Standard Liege vs Krasnodar on Univisión Deportes
    Villarreal vs Rapid Vienna on UniMás
    Sevilla vs Akhisarspor on Galavisión

20. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    What's the story behind Standard Liege - Krasnodar game, since they are passing up some more appealing games? Are there Mexican players in these teams?

21. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Just saw that Ochoa plays for Standard. That explains it.

22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    B/R Live is a shit show.

I subscribed before the first matchday of CL group play to see if it's worth it. So far, I've mostly just skimmed through replays when I get home from work. The Roku app (like the website) has a clunky interface, but it's not a big deal since I can find the matches I want to see. And the picture quality isn't great, but you take what you can get. There was also a six-minute stretch of a match I watched on replay during MD2 completely missing. Growing pains, but not too bad.

Last night I didn't get around to watching any replays, but wanted to watch the highlight show once I tucked myself in for the evening. The show opened with the Juventus-Man U highlights, which I watched. The Valencia-Young Boys highlights were next, so I fast-forwarded by them. I get to around the 12-minute mark and press play, but the show is between matches, so I FFWD again...only to be sent right back to where I was previously. Each time I FFWD, it's right back to minute 12, which was right around when a black screen with white text showed the broadcaster where to insert a commercial break (of which there weren't any on B/R Live). No matter how far I tried to skip forward, or if I left the show, or if I left the app, it would always send me right back to either the very beginning or minute 12. I could only watch if I didn't try to skip ahead after reaching the 12-minute mark.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the wild west of our new streaming landscape. And they want you to pay $120 for that kind of privilege? o_O

24. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Poorly executed services like B/R Live are a reminder of how hit or miss streaming services/apps can still be. I guess I've been spoiled by YouTube TV, ESPN and even NBC Sports. I've got TNT and can watch highlights online, so I just canceled my B/R subscription. It sure would be nice if YouTube TV added Univision, though.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I've watched a bit of the B/R pre/post games, and it has a kind of bush league feel to it. Or at least a brand new production which has kinks to work out. And I'm not even talking about the streaming side of things because I haven't even tried that aspect of their new offering yet. And with feedback like yours, and a price like they determined, I'm not likely to sign up any time soon.

That said, I wonder if anyone has had any decent luck with the B/R PPV offering, i.e. buying a single game for $2.99 and streaming it, perhaps at last minute?