Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It stayed poor the whole time on the Galatasaray match but I tried Red Star-Napoli and got the results you mention. I like to fast-forward through dead balls and the like so that is problematic. FSMP had this same problem on Roku but not the Fire TV app. Going to have to try it on Fire as they say they have a fire TV app.

2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I've got good wifi that my Rokus and their many apps have always found agreeable. But we all know stream quality varies wildly by location + hardware + connectivity and so on. My Roku devices aren't even created equal.

TJNash repped this.
  3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Tried the B/R app on my Fire stick - good news was the PQ was excellent, bad news was that the video was kind of jerky. I'll attribute that to having a first generation Fire stick and not the new one. Interestingly, the video looks very good (even after fast forwarding) on my smaller Roku TV I use as a second screen, and that Roku is older than my standalone Roku I use with the main TV.

One other very small B/R peeve - when you select a match to watch, it then goes to a screen where the only option is "watch this event" which you then have to click on again. Guessing this is because I subscribed and if I hadn't there'd be a "buy this individual game" option on that screen. It'd still be nice if subscribers could bypass that screen altogether, but that's a very small nit to pick.

4. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Yeah, that page is kinda weird. When I'm done with a match, I'll click the back button and land on the corresponding match's page. Then I'll press the back button again and it just refreshes the same page. One more click finally goes back to the B/R homepage. Lots of imperfections, to put it kindly, with B/R Live apps/pages, but I've been able to watch matches since a "spoiler-free mode" snafu on Tuesday, which is what matters.

One small thing that the B/R Roku app has that few do is a damn clock! I pause a match and the time of day shows in the upper right corner. I always expect apps to have that incredibly simple feature yet they almost never do.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. I'm guessing this is the first time. Including in Spanish, I wonder how many competitions have ever been on US OTA.

HomietheClown repped this.
  6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #356 unclesox, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Well, "ever" is quite a long time so I assume you're also talking about the old UEFA Cup.
    Back in the 90s when ESPN had the rights to the Champions League Telemundo showed many UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup ties. The big negative was that Telemundo's weekly international futbol show was on Saturdays so the midweek UEFA matches were shown on a few days delay. And it was only one match per weekend.
    S.I.N. (pre-Univision) did likewise although they didn't show as many UEFA matches as Telemundo did.
    In May '84 when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area a local independent station (KTSF 26) that broadcast foreign programming screened same day coverage of both the Cup Winners Cup final and European Cup final using the RAI feed (both finals involved Serie A clubs).
    So the short answer is no.
    Live broadcasts? I'm inclined to say no but not 100% certain.

7. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Too many to count.
    Back in the late-70s I became hooked on the sport by watching a show called "Soccer Made In Germany", a one hour edit of a Bundesliga match every weekend. It was shown on... PBS.
    In 1980 "SMIG" ventured beyond the Bundesliga and showed games from, among other tournaments, the European Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Cup, Euro 1980, Mundialito 1980, lots of 1982 World Cup qualifiers (mainly from the UEFA zone) and quite a few games from the '82 World Cup in Spain.
    All were one hour edits.
    In 1981 PBS also showed a few matches from the U-20 World Youth Cup held in Australia. Full matches (no edits) but it was all on same day tape delay due to the time difference.

NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's debatable IMO.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, you're dating yourself! But I was with you for some of this...

Especially Soccer Made in Germany on PBS. I can still hear Toby Charles enthusiastic voice in my head. After having moved back to the States from London in the mid-70's it was the only thing I could get which somewhat approximated following the English First Division.

With the EPL having dominated people's consciousness and TV's for nearly 2 decades now, it's funny to think how the Bundesliga actually pre-dated the EPL by 20 years or so, in terms of packaging their "product" for worldwide consumption.

I also vaguely remember watching my first World Cup stateside on OTA in NYC. Probably 1990. Either RAI and/or some random spanish language channel... definitely not in English. Man have we come a long way since then!!!

unclesox and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  10. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I remember the PBS games, a lot of fun, Toby Charles was amazing.

unclesox repped this.
  11. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Remember it well too from my teenage years, the local PBS station in Tampa would show Soccer Made in Germany at 5PM on Saturdays and then my friend and I would hop over to the Big Sombrero (the old Tampa Stadium) to watch the Rowdies in the heyday of the NASL.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those were cool times. I used to get out to Cosmo games as often as possible. The Rowdies were a big opponent. Some games drew a full house 78K!

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    PBS also showed English First Division games from the mid-70s to early 80s. The show was called "Star Soccer" and like Soccer Made In Germany it was a one hour edit of a single fixture. For the first few years the commentator was Mario Machado, an LA-based TV personality who knew his soccer very well. Then for the 80-81 season it was a British voice whom I later learned was the great Brian Moore. Not certain but I think those Star Soccer programs were re-packaged versions of ITV's The Big Match. PBS lost the rights to ESPN in '81 which totally blew because of how ESPN would insert commercials during the screening. :mad:.
    Star Soccer only focused on the First Division but every March PBS would throw in the full two-hour broadcast of the League Cup final.
    The program was a great compliment to Soccer Made In Germany. On Saturdays I''d watch SMIG at 4pm on KQED 9 (out of San Francisco) then switch over at 5pm to KTEH 54 (out of San Jose) for Star Soccer. Bliss.
    And then after the football ended KTEH would continue into the late night with numerous British sitcoms like "Good Neighbors" (aka "The Good Life"), "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin", "Are You Being Served?", "To The Manor Born", "Butterflies", "No.Honestly" and a few others I have forgotten but the night would end just past midnight with the excellent "Dave Allen At Large".
    Talk about dating myself! How many of those shows do you remember? lol

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of those shows I watched while I was still in England in the 70's.
    But I have no recollection of a 1hr BigMatch-like show on PBS... I would've eaten that up!!! I think maybe it didn't air in my market NY/NJ? If it did, then I really really missed out. In the 80's I took a pretty big hiaitus from footy. I almost completely lost track of my club, but luckily reconnected in the 90's,a and then big time in the 00's. :D
    Anyway, we are getting majorly OT so, why don't we put the nostalgia on the back burner. ;)

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  15. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've grown up watching tape-delayed Serie A games in Italian on Sundays on my then-PBS affiliate WNYE and then I switch over to Univision to watch Liga MX. Good times :D

unclesox repped this.
  16. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Yes. The tape delayed game on WNYE. After I got internet at my house (dial up all the way) in 1996, I already knew the result before the match aired on delay.

Yes, I was never one to avoid spoilers. Lol

We have come a LONG way in less than a generation.

Some people don’t realize how good we got it in 2018.

17. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I miss Serie A in Italian. Wish RAI America wasn't $16 a month

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  18. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Watched the Soccer Made in Germany on SF KQED 9, I also remember Mario Machado, I thing he did the 78 World Cup that you could only see in the SF Bay Area at the Cow Palace.
    Around that time I used to go watch the San Jose Earthquakes at Spartan Stadium, they had red uniforms, Paul Child was the center forward.

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  19. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it's cheaper on Sling (15 bucks) and now that BeIN is back, theres a good option there

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the game on Univision Deportes is about 6-7 minutes ahead of the game on TNT.

I have no idea why...it just is. I haven't been able to watch games the past couple years, but I'm home all week, so I thought I'd tune in.

21. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    The Manchester United bus was late to get to the stadium so they bumped back the start time by 5-6 minutes.

Kryptonite and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And I noticed the PSG game started a couple minutes before 1.

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Early kickoffs are set for 12:55 ET/17:55 UK

Kryptonite repped this.
  24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    OK I'll be that guy today... no Napoli/Liverpool on any cable channels today seems bad

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i am sure there is a perfectly good reason for them to air FCB v Tottenham on TNT, Univision and Univision Deportes.

TJNash and QPR Kevin H repped this.