Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    http://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/t...-s.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LaxBandit, EvanJ and unclesox repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow! So what channels are part of the Turner family?
    TBS
    TNT
    ???

3. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TruTV

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    CNN, HLN, TNT, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Adult Swim, TruTV, and TBS.

Turner doesn't directly own any broadcast networks, but their parent company TimeWarner, has a 50% stake in the CW... so they could perhaps use that as an outlet for the final if they wanted it on broadcast TV.

Redbullsnation2012, unclesox and EvanJ repped this.
  5. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ernie Johnson Dr Joe‏ and Ray Hudson on host "Inside the Champions League" post-match shows?

Redbullsnation2012 and unclesox repped this.
  6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wha wha whaaaaat?

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just remembering that my very first exposure to the world of football was through Turner for Italia '90. So, I guess things are coming full circle.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And don't forget AT&T has plans to buy Time Warner, which could mean UEFA games returning to Directv

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Kryptonite, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    AT&T wants to buy the company, yet the TV/internet service (Time Warner Cable) was just bought by Charter and folded into their Spectrum brand.

The likely bets are TNT, TBS and TruTV. That's three different games. This is quite a step down from what we have now.

10. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    It shouldn't be that complicated. Drop all Turner channels except for TNT and either TBS or truTV. The more interesting part is the final, which these days is scheduled on a Saturday. That makes it possible for an OTA network like CBS to air the game.

The lower tier matches could end up being sold off to a third party. Maybe ESPN2 or BeIN Sports could buy a few matches depending on the possible teams. I don't think Fox or NBC would ever buy matches back.

11. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Warner has not owned Time Warner Cable for several years. Divested the cable unit and licensed out the name.

12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of having all games at 2:45 pm eastern, they're moving to having two time windows per match day (as Europa league currently operates), so during the group stage there will only be four games at a time. Those three channels take care of six of the eight games per day during the group stage.

13. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Does this also include Europa League?

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The channels take up six of the eight games only if they show two games each. What if Turner says to themselves something like "we don't know how high the Group Stage ratings are going to be, so to get off to a good start let's show only two games at a time so the audience isn't split up too much"?

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is a shocker.
    I don't know what to say about the English Language coverage other than I hope they strike up a deal similar to the current one with ESPN3 so I can see archived matches. Or I hope TBS/TNT archive games on their websites/apps (Which are pretty mediocre digital platforms in comparison, but we shall see what improvements the future holds.)

On the Spanish Language side of things it will be interesting to see if Univision will put popular matches (and matches involving Mexican players) on their OTA Univision/ Unimas affiliates. But more than likely I see it more as UDN and maybe Galavision Programming.

As a personal residual positive I hope this means more Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana matches on Fox Deportes next year.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    After doing a little digging I found this:
    https://thevideoink.com/turner-bols...igballs-medias-copa90-66cfb3c9b1c3#.g3vdk85xn

Which makes a little bit more sense of this new Champions League pursuit.
    Since they are so hungry for Millennial eyeballs and expanding their digital brand/platform maybe they will hire some people from Bleacher report and this Copa90 getup to be a part of their staff for Champions League matches.

18. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wonder what happens to Fox Soccer Plus now..........

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The return of Bob Neal and Mick Luckhurst. lol
    That was back in the days of commercial interruptions during match action. 5-6 commercials per half, or some such. TNT only missed two goals that I can recall: The lone goal of Italy-Ireland quarterfinal and the 1-0 of the Italy-Argentina semifinal. I say 'only' but they didn't show many of those '90 games: Just a handful of group matches, the four weekend matches from the Round of 16 along with the quarters, semis, 3rd place and final. (Very) frustrating times.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Whether its a step down, up or sideways is too early to tell IMO. It will largely come down to the quality of their broadcast (incl. announcers) and streaming service. Can't do a whole lot worse than FOX on those two fronts (although Turner might manage).

Personally I can live with fewer channels available to show the games since with CL even 2 channels is enough to fully cover most matchdays.

21. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  22. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Didn't think Wynalda is such a hot commodity

23. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    "Losing Eric Wynalda might be tough for viewers" :ROFLMAO:

daniloni repped this.
  24. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Spoiler alert: you're not going to like it

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I had some problems streaming NCAA basketball games last year on the windows and android apps so it is not as perfect as the author of the article is depicting.