Tulsa Roughnecks FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by USRufnex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. TulsaTilIDIE11

TulsaTilIDIE11 New Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The USL team is not the only game in town. The only game in town is the Tulsa Athletics, and will be for all of 2014. So how about fans get behind them, right? Especially if it is already the MOST ATTENDED franchise in all of amateur soccer, and 28th most attended in the entire COUNTRY.

Brother Badgerjohn and brentgoulet repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    An NPSL team has that many fans following them? Wow I didn't know that. That is great to see!

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Updated official final attendance figures for the Tulsa Athletics:

Saturday, May 18, 2013 – 3,261
    Saturday, June 1, 2013 -- 2,682
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 -- 1,611
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 3,761
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 - over 2,200 (2,256 would match the avg per game at 3,066)
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 - 2,100 ($2 ticket promo for kids wearing their soccer kits)
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 - 5,788 (Club America U20 friendly)

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, this is just as good or even better than Seattle's USL attendance figures. Good for them! You wonder if they go MLS what their numbers might be?

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

The downtown location is great-- the pic posted above is not some stock local city skyline photo, it's actually a view from inside the new stadium... ironically enough, this stadium is walking distance from the Tulsa Athletics' jersey sponsor (McNellies) and the place the Ultras met quite a few times last summer (Fassler Hall).

But here's the problem....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I give the old ballpark much much higher marks in seating proximity to the field... also, the new stadium doesn't have much of an upper deck at all... as you can see, the old ballpark has a bigger upper deck than lower...
    [​IMG]

I gotta tell you that the year before the Drillers moved downtown, I went to a handful of games at 15th & Yale and really felt like the old stadium had huge potential to be one of the better ballparks for soccer viewing.

Old Drillers Stadium capacity: 10,997 (making it the largest double A ballpark in the country when it was used)
    ONEOK Field capacity: 7,833 (but that includes alot of picnic table seating in the outfield, etc. ... and the traditional fixed seating is downsized from the old facility)

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  8. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they weren't consulted (or where they?)about simply merging resources. TDB

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Those are good attendance figures for NPSL for sure. My question would be how many of those actually paid to get in? What are their season ticket sales like?

10. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ============
    That bottom picture make for really decent site lines considering wasn't probably designed with soccer in mind.
    First row of second deck would be awesome !
    With money take the outfield walls down to give the field some room and put some temps in the one endzone or the other side line and away you go. Looks like a missed opportunity.

11. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a clue what the answer to your question is. However, just the fact that many people attended a NPSL game period, is impressive enough. Even if non of them paid to watch. Very impressive...

12. OKCSoccer4life

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    Everton FC
    It is impressive but it doesn't pay the bills as teams want to move up levels or improve stadiums etc.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the most unexpected comment in BS history.

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #114 USRufnex, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Lower deck tickets were $10
    Upper deck tickets were $5

I believe there were several hundred season ticket holders.
    The $5 tickets were so cheap that give-a-ways weren't vigorously pursued.

We had two weekends playing Houston teams in which a Saturday night home game was followed by a Sunday afternoon home game against the same team. This compromised our attendance and split our fanbase significantly.

The Club America U23 exhibition had tickets far more expensive than regular season games-- yet we drew over 5,700 fans on a Tuesday night.

My proudest moment was a rivalry game against 2nd place Liverpool Warriors in which we drew over 3,700 fans -- the stadium rocked, the atmosphere was really special.

[​IMG]

15. TulsaTilIDIE11

TulsaTilIDIE11 New Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes they paid to get in.

USRufnex repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are the Athletics in talks with Tulsa USL Pro club or not? According to the Tulsa USL Pro twitter they are. Seems like the two clubs aren't as adversarial as we were led to believe. If indeed the USL Pro clubs forms some kind of connection, I am 100% in favor of this move (with the caveat that the NASL doesn't already have things lined up but just not announced). Not that my opinion means anything.

17. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    This sounds very interesting. Do you think they are planning to merge?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea. All I know is that the Voice of the Athletics keeps telling us to distrust the USL Pro team and then the USLP club tweets that they are in talks, and the Voice doesn't want to comment.

But if there is a joining or merging of the clubs, that would propel the the ULS Pro's team legitimacy.

19. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah, having the Athletics gives them some weight in terms of the recent years of that club in Tulsa. But what's interesting is that we're talking an NPSL team and a USL affiliated team. Though they may be speaking for the greater good of Tulsa, the leagues they play for are also heading towards different directions. The Athletics can certainly do what they wish down the road, but I wonder how much of this will materialize. Especially since the NASL and NPSL have a good communication and perhaps there is talk by the leagues to the team.

20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    What twitter accounts? Other than the one tweet you've posted, I've seen nothing @ttownsoccer to indicate there are any serious talks going on at this time.

The A's just posted their season ticket deposit information... https://www.facebook.com/ttownsoccer

But there's still plenty of time... it's not like USL Pro Tulsa will be playing in 2014.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about other twitter accounts? I just quoted what ChinaBlue found. Didn't you ask your ownership group what they were talking to USL about?

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    This is exactly ONE TWEET, not unlike the one newspaper article that only quoted Jeff Lund's NASL efforts from a few months ago...

No, I didn't ask what the A's owners talked about with the USL Pro people... not my business, it's theirs.
    I'll assume it was a polite courtesy call and little else... for the time being...
    I mean, I talked with Tulsa Drillers assistant GM Jason George after the press conference... this time, my business, not theirs.... my conversation could be characterized as "cordial." Speculate at will... :cool:

And I'd wager that a couple of days ago wasn't the first time someone from USL had ever talked with the owners of the A's.
    To assume otherwise would be naive, don't you think?

Just as I'd wager there's probably been some interesting communications between the Lunds and the owners of the A's over the past few months. The A's had two friendlies against OKC FC's PDL squad, and both teams played the Club America U23's-- in OKC on Sunday night, June 30th, then in Tulsa on Tuesday night, July 2nd. Who was the promoter of the Club America tour?....... Michael Hitchcock in a gig he got for Tulsa and OKC before he became NPSL Commish... Discuss....

I'll just say that I think the A's NPSL organization is caught between a rock (the Lunds) and a hard place (Funk Jr/Holt). IMO, at some point the A's will have to take sides (hopefully after getting as good of a deal for themselves as possible). I just don't see an NPSL club with a half dozen regular season home games competing effectively with USL Pro or the NASL year in and year out...

And it really sucks to be forced to admit that.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh okay, so you will comment on that. Thank you.

24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #124 USRufnex, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    I consider the Athletics's owners and staff to be good friends.

Do your good friends tell you all the minutiae of their business dealings?

And if I shared a handful of details that may have been told to me in strict confidence, then what kind of friend would that make me?

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem fairly free in sharing at other times, just figured you would continue that tradition. However if you don't know, you don't know. Fair enough.