Tulsa Roughnecks FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by USRufnex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Why revive a three-and-a-half year old thread? Why not? :D
    Tuesday night attendance at Drillers Stadium for NPSL Tulsa Athletics v Club America U20: 5,788

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Tune: Battle Hymn of the Republic)
    "Who were we in '83?"
    "Who were we in '83?"
    "Who were we in '83?"
    "We were champions!"

"Who are we about to be?"
    "We are champions!"

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...ishful-thinking.1876682/page-30#post-28148132
    From today's Tulsa World print edition....

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, we had 5,288 for the Club America match here. I think both organizations did great

brentgoulet repped this.
  4. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whichever league puts a team in Tulsa will also win Oklahoma City. It'll come down to that.

5. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an expatriated Okie, this all makes me so happy! I want a Tulsa jersey :)

brentgoulet repped this.
  6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the, the decision is in OKC first NOT Tulsa. I see it the other way. Which ever group gets OKc, then Tulsa would almost HAVE to go to the same league. I know they are free to do whatever they want, but I thinkmitbwould be a HUGE mistake to put a Tulsa team into the league OKc doesn't go into.

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    That makes little sense.

If a Tulsa owner is uncomfortable with the additional expense required to be in the NASL and it makes more sense to be in USLPro, so be it.
    If a Tulsa owner is not comfortable with the setup for USLPro and prefers to step up to NASL and has the cash and is willing to spend it, so be it.

But join a league because of a possible rivalry with an OKC team?
    That would be no more than a secondary consideration... after all, I think OKC and Tulsa were fine in AF2 but a couple of years after they both made the jump to Arena Football One, both teams died.

I've wanted a Tulsa Roughnecks NASL team ever since the TOA rebranded and announced the return of the Tampa Bay Rowdies. And it'd be alot of fun to have a Turner Turnpike Cup someday, but...

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the USLPro D-3 is much stronger and has far fewer teams than the USL D-3 did back when the Tulsa Roughnecks played at local high school stadiums... and I've advocated for USL-1 before the big split...
    http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=12185.0

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are Tulsa owners any different than OKC owners? EVERY other post from BS "experts" say that "whoever puts a team in Tulsa will ALSO get OKC. So why is it NOT the same for me to say that whoever gets OKC, will also get Tulsa??
    Mostly because nobody gave a CRAP about arena football. We were also in the CBA at the same time for a few years. Guess what? Nobody gave a crap about the CBA either. But along came CHL hockey, and POW!...rivalry. It just tapped into something that got people worked up. Both teams had booster clubs. Both cities hated each other. The games were awesome to go to. And I see soccer as doing the same thing. There are already supporter's groups started (Tulsa Ultras and Red Dirt Brigade). This is NOT arena football.

That made me want to know something. If...IF Tulsa gets into the NASL will it be Tulsa Athletics, and the brand you guys have worked so hard to establish? Or would nostalgia,and the desire to relive the past, take over and the team would be called Roughnecks?
    That's apples and oranges, IMHO, my friend. I don't want a USL-Pro team in OKC. I just don't. I believe NASL is stronger, better, where we want to be. I'd rather keep supporting OKC FC in the PDL, if it came to that. Sorry, that's just me. I'm sure I don't speak for anyone else.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of creating a new thread called "USRufnex vs ManuSooner: Mortal Kombat".

Anyone else think that its a good idea? ;)

Sporting Real repped this.
  10. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    "What we've got here... is failure to communicate.... some men you just can't reach..." :cool:

12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more

13. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha As they say in the radio business "if you put that on the radio, people would listen"

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    There seems to be a problem with proper verbiage.

I believe Tulsa needs to do what's in Tulsa's best interest while listening intently to Mr. Lund, Mr. Funk and Mr. Holt.

I know enough about USL's idea of "regional-ness?" to know that "fast tracking" a Tulsa team to USL Pro is a no-brainer for them. They said as much at the press conference announcing the team.

I know that the NASL very likely didn't even think about a possible team in Tulsa when Lund was making his pitch to OKC PS for Taft Stadium... one of our fans sent a twitter msg to Commish Peterson... the commish's reply? "Would OKC satisfy the fans?" Our fan's answer? "NO!"

I don't want the winner of the Lund v Funk Jr feud to "get Tulsa" as the spoils of his victory... the phrase, "whoever puts a team in Tulsa will ALSO get OKC" isn't said in disrespect for OKC as much as it is to acknowledge that Tulsa could very well be the queen in Lund and Funk's twisted game of chess. As much as I'd like to have an NASL team here over a USLPro team, I'd rather have a stable USLPro team franchise for the next ten years than have an NASL team here for a year or two and then watch helplessly when an OKC-based majority owner pulls the plug after the "chess game" is over...

The Tulsa Talons were arguably every bit as popular as the Oilers, if not more.
    And they were most definitely more popular than the WNBA team, but the OKC-based owners sold them off to San Antonio...

Nostalgia is one thing; history is another.
    I'd personally want a USL Pro team to keep the "Athletics" name but an NASL team to rebrand as the Roughnecks to link it with our history and to compliment the league's namesake and the Rowdies, Strikers and Cosmos.
    However, several of our hardcore supporters who are every bit as dedicated and intense as yours truly have indicated they'd rather not see the name used again for fear it'd be dragged through the mud the same way it was in the late 90s with the USL-2 team. I respect that view.
    So, maybe a "name the team" contest that includes "Athletics" and "Roughnecks" as options would be the best way to go. Or start with "Athletics" and then rebrand a few years later ala San Jose Clash/Earthquakes... :laugh:

I also prefer the NASL because I believe it will likely be much stronger than USL Pro in the next 5-10 years and I feel the New York Cosmos may provide a nice boost for the league in general notoriety and potential investors and expansion. But I do not want a Tulsa group to be coerced into joining the NASL over USLPro just to satisfy an OKC group's agenda.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer to see the NASL, not because of supporting Lund over Funk Jr., but because I've always seen the USL, and it's forerunners in the SISL/USISL/A-League as a borderline pyramid scheme that was more about fleecing investors and fans out of money, than it was for developing professional soccer in the US.

For sure, it was always going to be an uphill battle, but there was no reason the whole operation had to be such a joke.

brentgoulet repped this.
  16. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I was one of the 2-300 people who came out to watch the Oklahoma City Slickers back in the 90's. I remember I thought they had turned a corner when a certain local sports physician bought them. But all he did was run up a huge bill at the local soccer store.

17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how does it make nRG fans feel that Prodigal was able to secure the TULSA team to play at a state of the art minor league baseball stadium....and YOUR OKC nRG are playing at....Bishop McGuinness?

19. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but you got it...

Rather prophetic...but not necessarily in a good way for you guys I don't think...

I know you were probably referring to Lund et al... Might be Funk and Co.

Hmmm...right ownership city, wrong league :)

20. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Green Country Native (born in Tulsa, grew up in the Grand Lake area). While I live in Denver now, I've been sorta keeping an eye on Tulsa and OKC as I hear rumors of the cities pursuing soccer teams. I'm happy that both have teams, and hope both make it.

One question: What in the world are you going to do about the dirt in the infield getting onto the soccer field? Isn't that exceedingly dangerous for the players to have lose dirt like that?

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The city has been granted a franchise in the USL PRO, a Division III national pro league sanctioned by the National Soccer Federation." Credit to @kenntomasch

Tee Hee - National Soccer Federation

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_5539a64e-681b-11e3-a266-001a4bcf6878.html

22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really feel sorry for the NPSL team. That stadium is the better option for soccer so as not to compete with baseball.
    USL or NASL may have had a little more money than the NPSL team and could have made minor modifications to that stadium . Why do I get the feeling that USL is using its relations with MLS to out maneuver NASL in some markets? This whole tale of 2 cities and 3 leagues is crazy.:confused:

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, a baseball stadium. Nothing like it for soccer.