Tulsa Roughnecks FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by USRufnex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't lecturing anyone, just stating that this move making you a "fan" wasn't the likely goal for Tulsa. Calm down.

HailtotheKing, The Irish Rover and DBR70 repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyet

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Nice start for tulsa

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2017 LH USOC and after playing San Antonio scoreless through120 mins, Tulsa wins in the 7th round of kicks taken from the penalty spot...a trip to FC Dallas is coming up next.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas fan here. Good game tonight. Y'all were holding your own until the blue chip subs came in. I really thought FCD was in for yet another overtime LHUSOC game.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Your comment:
    My response:
    So, the Roughnecks really should be doing anything they can to appeal to the fans, including fans like myself. And if the affiliation ultimately improves the team (it has), then fans like myself will attend games more often (I have).

I still believe "the damage is already done." I had different season ticket holders (one guy from Year One and another from Year Two) tell me in the offseason that they wouldn't be renewing for this year and likely won't be going to many games (one said he wouldn't go to any) this season. And I've watched attendance dwindle further despite a reasonably competitive and entertaining team with only two players returning from last year's roster. Also, the addition of some players and coaches from Rayo OKC have helped matters, as well as a defender who used to play for Tulsa Athletics (who unfortunately knocked in an own goal last night in stoppage time against FC Dallas).

Sadly, in Year Three of the Drillers three year commitment to USL soccer, the crowds at ONEOk are smaller than the crowds we used to attract for Tulsa Athletics matches the first two seasons before the baseball guys with all the marketing experience swooped in to steal our thunder. I believe the increased payroll for this season's team is meant to drive up the asking price for when the Hubbard brothers/Drillers unsurprisingly put the club up for sale at the close of this season.

But hey... buy a 3rd division team for between $250k and $500k (my educated guess)... pay your first year team that barely missed the playoffs crappy wages resulting in a second year team that absolutely sucked (dead last in USL) only to gain 2nd division status from the USSF resulting in a big markup for potential sale of a club... a club I'd always been suspicious of having a high potential for conflicts of interest.

Such a deal.

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Getting warmer.....

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #712 USRufnex, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Good sign to keep a competitive coach who seems comfortable with the combination of a relatively low budget (unsure whether they can afford to keep Caffa next season) and his own moves that ensured a reasonably successful affiliation with the Fire. I unintentionally ended up seated next to Coach V at the bar across the street from ONEOK Field after I tried to move to a seat with a view of both the US/T&T match and the other qualifying matches on two TV screens right next to each other...

I hear (not from him) that the offseason will see changes in ownership and either a move from ONEOk to suburban Jenks or some sort of transition to a facility to be built there? at some unspecified future date, and any smooth transition will depend on how committed the Drillers front office is to sticking around months after the Hubbard brothers officially get out of the soccer business.

LOI to purchase team is rumored to be from the same minority owner of the WNBA Tulsa Shock who sued the majority owners from OKC who moved the team to Dallas... http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_3f774a7d-356b-540b-8ed5-a27315a07318.html

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tulsa in 2020, huh?

falvo repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should keep the Roughnecks name and old logo as its part of their cities soccer history. I hope they bring it back or revive it eventually. Maybe the local fans can speak up to bring it back?

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for those who care:

[​IMG]

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  15. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed FC Wichita is missing this year. I wonder if they are taking a year off to prepare for a move to USL League one ?

16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their logo is hideous.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Nacional Tijuana and Laramie repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that might have any interest:
    Tulsa-Athletic
    @TTownSoccer

22m
    We are hosting the South Region Finals on Sunday at 3 p.m. at Union Eighth Grade Center. Tickets are $10 at the gate. We need your support as our Boys in Green look to win the South Region and secure a spot in the NPSL Semis. Come out & support this crazy club!

SabreKhan repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPSL playoff Semi-final:
    Tulsa 1
    Baltimore 0

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Question:

Is there any chance they will bring back the Roughnecks name and logo?

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #725 Laramie, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Impressed with the future growth of Metropolitan Tulsa. which now boast over 1 million in their MSA and 400,000 residents in the city.

A big boost to Tulsa MSA will be Pryor where the infamous Rocklahoma is stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Construction of a Canoo Electric Vehicles plant estimate to employ 2,000. Oklahoma Governor welcomes the plant with incentives thru the Oklahoma Quality Jobs program: $15 million from the state’s “Quick Action Closing Fund” as part of an incentive package valued at $300 million intended to bring thousands of new tech and manufacturing jobs to the state.