Tulsa Roughnecks FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by USRufnex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    I wasn't lecturing anyone, just stating that this move making you a "fan" wasn't the likely goal for Tulsa. Calm down.

The Irish Rover and DBR70 repped this.
  2. Coyote-Trickster

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    United States
    Nyet

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    United States
  4. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Nice start for tulsa

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    United States
    2017 LH USOC and after playing San Antonio scoreless through120 mins, Tulsa wins in the 7th round of kicks taken from the penalty spot...a trip to FC Dallas is coming up next.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    United States
    FC Dallas fan here. Good game tonight. Y'all were holding your own until the blue chip subs came in. I really thought FCD was in for yet another overtime LHUSOC game.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Member+

Tulsa Athletic
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Your comment:
    My response:
    So, the Roughnecks really should be doing anything they can to appeal to the fans, including fans like myself. And if the affiliation ultimately improves the team (it has), then fans like myself will attend games more often (I have).

I still believe "the damage is already done." I had different season ticket holders (one guy from Year One and another from Year Two) tell me in the offseason that they wouldn't be renewing for this year and likely won't be going to many games (one said he wouldn't go to any) this season. And I've watched attendance dwindle further despite a reasonably competitive and entertaining team with only two players returning from last year's roster. Also, the addition of some players and coaches from Rayo OKC have helped matters, as well as a defender who used to play for Tulsa Athletics (who unfortunately knocked in an own goal last night in stoppage time against FC Dallas).

Sadly, in Year Three of the Drillers three year commitment to USL soccer, the crowds at ONEOk are smaller than the crowds we used to attract for Tulsa Athletics matches the first two seasons before the baseball guys with all the marketing experience swooped in to steal our thunder. I believe the increased payroll for this season's team is meant to drive up the asking price for when the Hubbard brothers/Drillers unsurprisingly put the club up for sale at the close of this season.

But hey... buy a 3rd division team for between $250k and $500k (my educated guess)... pay your first year team that barely missed the playoffs crappy wages resulting in a second year team that absolutely sucked (dead last in USL) only to gain 2nd division status from the USSF resulting in a big markup for potential sale of a club... a club I'd always been suspicious of having a high potential for conflicts of interest.

Such a deal.

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Member+

Tulsa Athletic
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Getting warmer.....

9. falvo

falvo Member+