Tuesday: Name and logo unveiling

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by Sport Billy, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so is the nicknam of the female form in the athletica crest
    "St. Joan of...ARCH"
    sorry I had to

2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *crickets*

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    hmm.... not to be Donny Downer here, but is anyone else worried that the "announcement" tomorrow might be premature, since we didn't get anything definitive out of the USSL/NASL/USL summit? =-/

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Just because we didn't doesn't mean Cooper and the other NASL teams didn't.

5. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    announcement will be streaming on stlsoccerunited.com

good for people like me stuck at school/work

6. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone know where we can park? Are they going to allow us to park in the lot?
    Also, anyone (SportBilly?) know how our turnout is looking so far (estimate)?

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

For a Tuesday morning, we are looking better than I expected.

I can't imagine they won't let people park in the lot.

8. KeeperDad30

KeeperDad30 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheer loud guys. I will be there in spirit. And watching from my desk at work in snowy Lincoln, NE (we are under a blizzard watch). Yeah!

9. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. KeeperDad30

KeeperDad30 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name is AC St Louis.

Here is a screen capture from the press conf. of the new logo.

[​IMG]

I love the name, but I'm kind of luke warm on the logo.

11. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    Why did they change the crest? That looks terrible. The women's team crest is better.

12. wmsoccer

wmsoccer New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Steger, Il
    AC St Louis....not crazy about the name but the crest was pretty nice

13. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well I'm not crazy about the logo. It's ok but I like the statue of St. Louis better. I had never heard of the technical director before, but wow if he was the director of Clarefontaine and the personal coach of Cristiano Ronaldo isn't he instantly the best qualified technical director of any team in America? Shouldn't he be working for the USSF? I love that Cooper has that kind of ambition to go after someone of that caliber and was able to pull it off, just like he did with the Athletica coach.

14. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    He said McDermott designed the logo, along with someone else. I don't understand why they would change it either, though. If you read these boards, almost everyone loved the old crest.

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...not feeling the fleur de lis, nor the gold instead of green [​IMG]

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHY don't YOU think logically? That is the logo of the ownership group but there is not some rule that it MUST be the logo of the new team. You can say most likely they would use that logo or a similar logo for the team but it is NOT a requirement.

Why are you always so cynical little boy?? No one harasses me here like you do. Lay off me man.

17. only1united

only1united New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Soulard
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When was I not logical? I never said the team's logo would be SLSU's logo, or even anything similar. The way you worded your post, it sounded like you thought the SLSU was created to mirror the Athletica logo, implying the Athletica logo came first. I was simply correcting that.
    And I'm not cynical. At least not normally - but hey, it is finals time. ^.^
    btw Nice job at being several dozen posts late in response. ;-) If it bothers you that much let's speak over PM.

19. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    Heres the website www.ac-stlouis.com

Seeing the logo on the website does look a lot better than from that screen shot. Why is the logo blue and orange in the picture on the podium, and then the girl has a green and yellow logo on the t-shirt?

Maybe the club is saving that old logo for when they get into MLS?

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think it's blue and orange on the podium, just the bad camera angle/lighting/whatever makes it look that way.

btw Is it "green and yellow" or "green and gold"?

21. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    While I don't mind AC St. Louis as the team's name, I much preferred the logo and color palette that St. Louis Soccer United originally utilized. I'd have kept the original logo - albeit, with AC St. Louis on the banner at the bottom - and colors.

22. residentbenchwarmer

residentbenchwarmer New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Chesterfield, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the unveiling, and I must say that I was disappointed with the logo when they announced it. It's on okay logo by itself, though I think the yellow clashes with the green. But it doesn't fit with the overall theme of the group IMO. Furthermore, they said that the flame was a nod to the (paraphrasing) "Olympic flame we had in St. Louis", and while it can be merely taken as a nod to our Olympic history, the flame didn't actually come about until the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam, so if taken literally they're off the mark.

It might be just me, but I was hoping for a logo similar to SLSU and Athletica to show that these are only two separate branches of the same group, or at least a little bit of gray and blue, if not to fit in with the other logos but that it goes better with the green. Also, it seems like they're trying to say that ACSL is more independent and separate from the other two by going a different route. Of course, they had two outsiders come up with it, one more known for interior design, and the other a broadcaster, which could explain somewhat the difference in design compared to what an insider would make.

Again, I think it's an okay logo. I just feel a little let down since my expectations were different.

23. residentbenchwarmer

Sep 23, 2007
    Chesterfield, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, props for giving out the scarves. Just curious, next time I'm at an event (I haven't been able to make any meetings), whom should I look for? With everybody wearing a scarf, I couldn't tell whom was whom.

Would've been cool if Coop, Dooley, and McDermott wore scarves on stage.

Another gripe: new logo colors don't match scarf colors now.:eek:

24. residentbenchwarmer

Sep 23, 2007
    Chesterfield, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not know that. Thanks for clearing it up.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    For the record, Bill McDermott runs his own graphic design firm.
    He's been part of this since the beginning. I wouldn't call him an "outsider".