News: Tuesday, Aug 08 , 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zoidberg, Len and footballfantatic repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Forward this to the Ponzi scheme people. Billionaires appear desperate to get into the league.

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Fiosfan, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Sorry but the billionaires took a chance in the league since 1995 and if wasn't for their money you still be watching Soccer Made In Germany on PBS

ken0sha repped this.
  6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Fiosfan, Aug 8, 2017
  7. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    You completely missed his point. A little over 10 years ago every team in the league was owned by 3 dudes. THREE.

Now we have 22 teams, 23 next season, all with different owners, and 12 expansion cities all fighting to get into the league.

The guy who wrote the article calling MLS and ponzi scheme seems to be ignoring the fact that billionaires don't become billionaires by investing in Ponzi schemes.

Kejsare, adam tash, JasonMa and 8 others repped this.
  8. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #9 Len, Aug 8, 2017
    The hell?

Help my memory here, but isn't this the group MN United did NOT want involved in the Loons move to MLS?

From the article:
    "The family's main connection to Nashville is Mark Wilf, whose son attended Vanderbilt University and who serves on Vanderbilt University's Board a Trustees, where Ingram also serves."

Well, it can't hurt because again, if I remember correctly, it wasn't necessarliy the league that didn't want the Wilfs, it was the team (or maybe just it's fans).

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go one better:

Zygi (Or whatever) Wilf is a greedy, money grubbing billionaire asswipe who lives in New Jersey. He could not care less about soccer or much of anything else aside from making money.

And the fact that he tried to start his own MPS team but lost the bid and now is eager to buy into a Nashville bid says only one thing:

He believes there's money to be made. A lot of it. This ain't no hobby.

On the other side you have low rent Twitter clowns pounding their keyboards and spanking the monkey in the storage locker they secretly live in because they can't afford an apartment, like Ted Worthless Brainless Cockless Westervelt, who assure us that MLS is on the verge of collapse.

Two assholes: one is right, one is wrong. I don't pretend to have inside information but if you have to make a play there's not much question where to put your money.

deekay, Kejsare, adam tash and 13 others repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Oh boy. Billionaires are that desperate to get in MLS. Yep, we're going the way of the Titanic.

Actually, though. World Cup 2026 can really make a difference. Investing in the league before that happens is a wise, wise move. If MLS moves it's chips right they can really grab attention and get to a new plateau.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    That was FN beautiful Bill.....and so damn true.

The surest way to know how well your entity is doing is when guys like Wilf wants in.

The Franchise repped this.
  12. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If there is going to be a shot in the arm in TV ratings for MLS, it's gotta be World Cup. Though 2026 is a long time to wait.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's my prediction for the Road Forward. In 2025 MLS is going to push really, really hard to bring in multiple DPs that are stars for their NTs. This should not be a surprise since we've seen that push in 2014. The difference will be the scope and the earlier timing. It will be a China like push with huge money by multiple teams. They will have more success than before because they will be sold that the MLS season will be perfect preparation for the 2026 world cup. I think that viewers will not be able to ignore 20 or so in their prime stars. The world cup will be a perfect platform for making that fact known.

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I loved soccer made in Germany.

TrickHog, Ismitje, ToMhIlL and 6 others repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the fans seemed to feel these guys are first rate assholes.

Plus, the theory was that they were only talking MLS as a way to get soccer fans to vote yes or support the new stadium or something.

But IIRC the league's biggest issue was that it's a fixed roof building and they apparently created a supwr-secret rule against those after first allowing Vancouver in so they could share a barn with the CFL Stinking Moose Crap or whatever they're called.

I may have a few of the details wrong.

JasonMa, Last Line of Defense and Len repped this.
  16. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Always follow the asshole with the bag loads of money.

jaykoz3 and Bill Archer repped this.
  17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roof at BC Place in Vancouver is retractable.

ken0sha and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of impact of WC performances.
    2011 saw a 7% boost and a 5% one the year after.
    2015 saw a 12% bump. So it may be that a successful run in the WC does increase interest in domestic soccer.

deejay repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I
    But I got the Stinking Moose Crap part right?

The Franchise and Len repped this.
  20. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    As a Vikings fan Zigster comes across as a turd but his thing for soccer is real, it actually bothers some of the Vike fans. My fellow mnufc fans are wrong about his like of soccer but correct about the shady as shiat side. The butt hurt was real when he lost out to the local MN billionaires club.

21. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't want the Wilfs for a variety of reasons, and I will probably miss some but off the top of my head. 1. Didn't want to share a NFL stadium, wanted our own soccer one. 2. The current ownership were the ones who saved the MN team and rebranded into the Loons. 3. If you know how the Vikings are run you would be weary of them running your soccer team as well (jokes on us this season). 4. Zygi Wilf would probably eat babies if it made him some money.

22. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually loved Toby Charles!

24. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It's official! USL to Birmingham in 2019!!!! It's time for a Deep South Derby with AUFC!!! Birmingham to MLS!

AeroNaught repped this.