Tuesday 21 May 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, May 21, 2019.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Power Rankings: LAFC remain top, but Wondo is the king
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...rankings-lafc-remain-topbut-wondo-is-the-king

Warshaw: 24 takeaways on 24 teams after Week 12 of the 2019 season
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/05/20/warshaw-24-takeaways-24-teams-after-week-12-2019-season

Earthquakes' Wondolowski Reflects on Making MLS History
    https://www.nbcbayarea.com/on-air/a...on-Making-MLS-History_Bay-Area-510197172.html

78 MLS players named to preliminary rosters for 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ed-preliminary-rosters-2019-concacaf-gold-cup

A devoted New York City FC fan’s fight against fellow unwanted supporters
    https://elitesportsny.com/2019/05/2...fan-fight-against-fellow-unwanted-supporters/

The Risk Involved with Promoting Opposing Players
    https://www.themaneland.com/2019/5/20/18631908/the-risk-involved-with-promoting-opposing-players

Orlando City striker Dom Dwyer suspended for LA Galaxy match
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/or...y-striker-dom-dwyer-yellow-card-accumulation/

Confirmed: Arsenal Target Rubbishes MLS Transfer Talks
    https://www.thewistle.com/2019/05/20/confirmed-adil-rami-rubbishes-mls-transfer-talks/

Audi Field secures partnership with French league as business booms
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/20/audi-field-secures-partnership-french-league-busin/

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm asking seriously because I'm not sure I understand. Let me preface by stating that there is no room for hateful behavior in our league and MLS as well as NYCFC need to take action immediately.... Don't Cross the Line and all! These groups are supposedly fascist and identified as white supremicists. Yet they are identified as being "mostly hispanic". It was my understanding that this is some sort of bizarre overlap. Can someone please further explain the dynamics at play here?

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Um, this seems like some guy complaining about other people he dislikes choice of sports teams. Not sure if he's a Marxist but he has Marx on his twitter page and is complaining about people who carry anti antifa banners. That doesn't make them neo-nazis. It seems weird to call Hispanics (really any people of color) nazis since they aren't aryans or white supremacists. They don't seem especially anti-semitic, at least at first glance.

5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first time I went to Red Bull arena a crowd hanging out in front of that same bar in the tweet tried harassing us. "You're from Philly"? Yea, as I kept waking. "You like cheese steaks"! Which made them all start laughing like they had just insulted us. As we kept walking, one in our group laughed and said " of course we like cheese steaks....how is that an insult"?
    Thinking that a group that condones violence to fight another violent group is just stupid too me and they should ban everyone. Sorry but it should be about soccer and not your political beliefs. I can take some banter being thrown my way but there is no reason violence should have anything but zero tolerance by MLS for any group.

jaykoz3 and ToMhIlL repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, get off my lawn!

Back in the old days, we used to ride our Triceratops to the game, and it would be nothing but friendly banter and good-natured slagging toward the opposing fans. Y'see, in those days, we were all in the same boat, and everyone knew it was a random act of geography that dictated which team we supported. The real enemy wasn't other fans, but the idiots in the media, the owners who didn't have any idea what we were and could be for the clubs, and the goons they hired as "security."

Then soccer got cool and a lot of these young'uns got involved and thought it was "edgy" to hassle people they didn't even know for no other reason than they were fans of a different team. And cor, mate! Even wivv a Bri-ush accent that would make Brad Friedel blush!

Yeah, get off my lawn! I'm not gonna tell ya again, I'm just gonna call the cops!

NeilB, jack sticker, Bluecat82 and 5 others repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Agree. People from any group or by themselves should be admitted or expelled based on their behavior at the game.

jack sticker and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  8. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I too never realized there could be a neo-nazi Latino group though fascist politics exist everywhere…Franco…and any number of Latin American regimes…

This collection is neo-nazi however…they have a name Battalion 49 and a social media profile...some NYCFC fans suggest they are the main participants in the violence and vandalism that has plagued the club since its launch…

Numerous NYCFC fans have complained asking the club to take action but they apparently feels publicizing these guys just gives them oxygen and reflects poorly on the club…even when they decided to eject Irv and apparently others they didn't publicize the action…

To be honest however the NYCFC fanbase appears to be conflicted on this issue…no one supports them but reactions have ranged from throw the bums out to leave them be if they aren't caught perpetrating violence in the stadium to laugh the whole thing off…surprising particularly here in New York...

I'll tell you this though...rumors abound that NYCFC is ready to announce their stadium site of choice in the Bronx…I'd love to have this situation in my arsenal if I were running the NIMBY campaign...

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Ok, where is the praise for Hitler or wiping out the Jews or aryan racial purity or anything else associated with actual nazis? Those guys seem mainly opposed to antifa (anti-fascist action). Antifa uses violence to shutdown speech it dislikes. Lots of people across the political spectrum disagree with that tactic. It doesn't make them neo-nazis.

wantmlsphilly, jack sticker and NashSC repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    juan peron.jpg

11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...Generalissimo Franco was a white European; not Latino / Latin American in any way.

On his Twitter this guy documents a lot more evidence that links these guys to far-right hate groups. The elements are subtle, that's the whole idea -- but he lays out the true meaning behind some of the imagery and symbolism these guys are using.

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Staff members may not be ignored"

Well ******** that.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that there are many people left who remember when it was pretty common for people to say that they were MLS fans first and team fans second.

And the attitude of a goodly number of guys when Miami and TB were dumped, "Well, it breaks my heart to lose my team but if it's what it takes to keep MLS afloat then I can live with it" is one that you aren't likely to see again.

(FWIW I think it changed around when Toronto came in. They were joining an established league and they were here to show everybody how this soccer fan thing is done. MLS was just a vehicle for their personal glory.)

But as you point out, this stuff is incomprehensible to fans of newer teams. The idea that keeping the league afloat was the main thing might as well be a speech in Old Valyrian.

PTFC in KCMO, NeilB, Zamphyr and 5 others repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I can't say I was an MLS fan first and a Revs fan second, but I did care about the league as a whole. I used to quote Marcus Garvey, where if one man is hungry, then no man is fed. If one team fails (10% of the league), it has a profound effect on the rest.

But I do remember when it was common to want the home team to win in games not involving your own team, the theory being that some people would be attending their first game ever, and if they had a good time, they'd be more likely to come back. And yes, we'd obsess about attendance too.

It's hard to imagine now, but almost every MLS article in the mainstream media would mention how the NASL failed and how the jury was still out on soccer as a spectator sport. As bad as some teams' situations may be ("business metrics" for you laymen out there), there is no doubt about the league and sport's thriving, never mind just survival. That was not the case not all that long ago.

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. It was Lazy, Ignorant Sportswriting 101, a formula which invariably included:

-A reference to Pele

- A reference to the New York Cosmos

- A paragraph or two (from a guy who was in junior high at the time) about why the NASL folded, mostly consisting of "trying to keep up with the Cosmos"

- Another paragraph about soccer being a foreign sport played by foreign people with funny names

- A conclusion implying that MLS had little chance of lasting but pretending that the writer cared one way or the other.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The guy in Don's picture is Juan Peron, former president of Argentina (the sash is a giveaway) and ally of HItler.

That guy is stretching things to equate hooligans and maybe racists with nazis. Also the Celtic cross isn't really a symbol of white supremacy.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone needs to post the Dave Chapelle clip of him being a blind guy who doesn't know he's black, and becomes a White Supremacist. He divorced his white wife because he couldn't be with a woman who'd marry a Black man.

jack sticker and don gagliardi repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know (re: Peron), but others had mentioned Franco.

Historically the savastika wasn't either. Both religious symbols (and others) have been co-opted by hate / fascist groups.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all Hispanics are brown and there is a good amount of racism among white Hispanics towards brown and black Hispanics.

In this group in particular, many are attracted into groups that are traditionally white nationalists by their ancillary men's rights activism and, in some cases, blaming their race for the problems their having and not seeing it as a result of institutional racism.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-young-men-of-color-are-joining-white-supremacist-groups

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't cry for me. Or let Madonna anywhere near the musical.

I just found out that making the OK sign with your fingers makes you,literally, Hitler.

I have such a hard time keeping up.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #23 don gagliardi, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Whiteness is not a complexion.

are italians white.jpg

irish became white.jpg

japanese white.jpg

Yoshou repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just found this out? Where ya been? It's been a "thing" for years. It's also something considered offensive in Latin America and Italy, kinda like the middle finger in the US or the "V-sign" in the UK.

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Or they could stop square pegging and admit that groups like Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer are right wing but not racist or white supremacist. It's only people who think all of US history is racist that think that. Some people think wearing a MAGA hat or chanting U-S-A makes a person racist. Normal people shouldn't let them define what is acceptable. There may be white supremacists with Celtic cross tattoos. But I'd bet the large majority of people with Celtic cross tattoos aren't white supremacists.

jack sticker and bbsbt repped this.