Tryouts for Austin Aztex

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Habitat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Does anybody know when they are held? What they look for and stuff..?

Not the pro team but the U23 team? Pro team info would be good too.

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I talked to the organization late last week, the tryouts for either the PDL or the USL1 side had not been scheduled. However, I would imagine that they will not get a public announcement out until after the first of the year. Based on my memory, the PDL tryouts this past season were in early March, so if you're looking to block time, that would be the best bet. USL1 would have to be sooner (maybe January) as their season starts in April.

3. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Sounds good...I've been training training training for the past couple of months. What are they looking for any ideas? Especially the U23 side..

4. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the #1 keeper for the PDL side got signed to be the keeper of the USL1 side, so I imagine they're looking that way. Jaime Watson, one of our forwards, was signed by FC Dallas to a developmental contract, so there will likely be a shakeup at forward as well. Check the main Aztex page for the "Where are they now" updates, and see which players are less likely to return next season and base it on that.

That being said, play at what you're best at, ya know? It's probably your best bet. Don't try to force yourself into a position you're less skilled at just to try to get on the team. I imagine they'd rather you be the best whatever you are than a mediocre whatever they need.

5. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be ready.

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, for all of you who might find thsi interesting.

Open tryouts for the professional team will be heal Feb. 7-8 at St. Edwards.

This info is comming hot off the press at the teams Website soo, use it or loose it. :D

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they'll be ready for another couple hundred showing up.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you should give complete info:

Code:
    WHAT:     California Tryouts              WHAT:             Austin Tryouts
    WHERE:    Oxnard, California              WHERE:            Austin, Texas
    WHEN:     January 10-11, 2009             WHEN:           February 7-8, 2009 

9. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yep. Still training. I wonder if you tryout for the USL 1, if that ruins your PDL chances.

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why it would. The only thing someone would need to keep in mind is that playing for the USL-1 team will disqualify you for playing college. But my opinion isn't official.

11. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that you could still play for the college team if you play USL1 (and get paid), however, NCAA regulations would prevent you from getting a scholarship. I've seen the same thing in other sports, where players have played professional baseball while also playing college football.

12. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Well first I hope I make the team

13. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Anyone going to the open tryouts? I'm planning on going, although I'm only 17 and my chances of making any sort of impact are close to none, I just want to experience it and to see how I measure up with the other people there.

14. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the rule is that you participate professionally and get paid, you are ineligable to play the same sport in college.
    eg: You make the USL1 team and get paid.. you are no longer eligable to play soccer for nameurschool university. Scholarship or not.
    Having said that, IIRC, you are still eligable to play any other sport because you are still considered an ameture athlete in that sport.

15. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I found we're both right. I did some research and found a discussion on this that shows the differentiator is if you tried out prior to enrolling for college, versus trying out while in college, which will eliminate your eligibility. While I don't know any soccer examples of this, I do know one at the University of Texas where Cedric Benson signed for a professional basedball team before enrolling at UT. He was able to play for the Longhorns, but was not able to get any financial aide.

However, I think the rule should be, "Play it safe, don't mess with your college eligibility by trying out for any professional squad." In this example, I would encourage anyone looking at trying who is in college athletics or looking to go into college athletics to focus on the PDL squad which is considered an amateur team.

Finally, I would also encourage folks to check with the Aztex organization, specifically Adrian Heath who has the point on all player inquiries.

16. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Yeah but if you live in Austin(and plan on going to school in Austin), St. Edwards is pretty much your only opition for soccer in college.

Aztec have a decent dual study/play usl program set up, or so im told..

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed the 'more details' info on the website.

For the pro team, the Texas tryouts cost:
    Nice that they'll find a place for the out-of-towners to stay -- two nights.

For the California tryouts:

Now I'm really looking forward to watching the local tryouts. Anyone know anyone out in the neighborhood of Oxnard that will be able to give us on-site reports in January?

18. B_Lion08

B_Lion08 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Kyle Texas
    will anyone from the aztex forum be trying out for the team?
    i am thinking about only trying out for the PDL team

there is another austinite who is a friend of my cousin that played for the charleston battery for a couple weeks before asking to be sent home because he was "homesick"
    i heard he might tryout for the USL team

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was actually playing for the Battery, but only 'might' tryout for the Aztex? I hope he does tryout. But I can certainly understand if it's a decision between dayjob and soccerjob.

20. B_Lion08

B_Lion08 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Kyle Texas
    Well he attended open tryouts for the Battery last year and was signed
    then 2 weeks later he asked to go home, im not sure what his deal was because i would of stayed.

but lets hope he can tryout, and welcome him with open arms. we need strikers!

21. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Does anyone know if these tryouts will be solely to identify USL talent or is there the possibility of being asked to join to PDL team if impressing but not enough for the professional team?

22. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't got a clue my friend, but I will tell you this. At this point, wit hthe club jsut starting out and all, If you go and you show them your best, they'll probably find a spot for you somewhere.

23. B_Lion08

B_Lion08 New Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Kyle Texas
    Do you think alot of people will be trying out for the amatuer team?
    or will most peoples attention be on the pro team

24. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    B Lion - I'm going to be trying out. I hope to make the USL-1 team but I would love equally to be on the PDL team. I'm just turning 20 and I've never been better so hopefully this will be it! :)

You and I are in the same boat! I originally aimed for the PDL team but it doesn't hurt to try my luck at the USL-1 team.

25. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://austinaztex.com/home/290386.html

It's most like that both tryouts are for the USL-1 only. I just E-mailed Kay Rawlins about this so hopefully I hear from her on when the PDL tryouts are.