Trump vs. Clinton: The General Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by JohnR, May 4, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    795887989838598144 is not a valid tweet id

henryo repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I always realized it was an "eccentric entertainer, likely to be Michael Jackson-y (someone had mentioned it immediately elsewhere)" outfit. Removed from that context and put in a political rally one, though...

...in other words, chuckle-cringe-worthy, no more than an awkward wave.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OK.

Can't say as I ever paid much attention to Michael Jackson.

Now if she'd worn Janis Joplin's elephant bells, or Gram Parson's Nudie suit...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think she's done the latter before.

And I read the first one as "elephant balls", which was...an interesting image.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    First of all - no personal attacks please.

Second of all, on the topic of public discourse - Hillary has run a much more respectful campaign which was the topic he was discussing. You can certainly argue that Liberals know how to vet the crap out of candidates in ways that leave Republicans in the dust - and you can argue that you think the down and dirty side of politics is just as bad as blatant and offensive disrespect with little respect to facts, but I think these are actually two different things.

No one is to blame for Trump's awfulness except himself and the people who support that.

You don't have to like Hillary or believe like I do that she's not the devil, but I'm certainly not all sunshine about my candidate. It's just that on the topic of respectfulness she's light years ahead. Neither she nor her surrogates engage in a lot of the crap that Trump does.

henryo, fatbastard, M and 3 others repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    When will we know when the Russians have hacked the election?

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    When Gary Johnson wins.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Correct. I make no claims about Hillary's private dealings. Maybe she tortures small children, skins them, and eats them. All I say is that if an article is about public discourse, and it equates Hillary with Donald Trump, that is bogus.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Johnson had no respect for the norms of the "peculiar institution." Chinn often sat at table as his mate, and guests who couldn't handle that were welcome to leave. On the other hand when the first of his later mates rejected him for another, he sold her. Whether that's enlightened, in that he accepted that she could prefer another, or vengeful, at this distance is beyond me.

But that's not what is really interesting about him; he's among the most important tacticians in global history, right up there with Epaminondas and Khalid, as the tactics of his mounted riflemen were the ancestor to those of Union cavalry in the Civil War and eventually mechanized infantry in WWII.

Richard M Johnson was the grandfather of the blitzkrieg.

"Rumpsey Dumpsey, Rumpsey Dumpsey
    Colonel Johnson kilt Tecumseh!" (Campaign slogan)

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus. I think I prefer Make America Great Again.
    The mentality of the time is just impossible for us to fathom. "Peculiar" institution was a massive, massive understatement.

russ repped this.
  12. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It's not that mysterious. It's the depravity of a total lack of PC. ISIS and their sex slaves, it's happening right now.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????

Did you read the section I clipped?

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hillary's biggest endorsement.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think what Trump said about the Clintons in that interview isn't far off the mark, including not just the praise but also the part about her being given an 'agenda'. At least, it matches my perception of the Clintons. Which is why, as critical of her foreign policy agenda as I am, I have not been really interested in the mud slinging and the hunt for scandals against her. The real issue about Hillary to me is the (IMO criminal) foreign policy agenda she will be pursuing, and the way politics works in America. The rest of the so-called scandals and criticisms are basically a distraction.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not making you stupid... it's just sucking the intelligence out of you.

Different thing!

dapip repped this.