Trump Presidency Tweets Too

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A self-perpetuating cycle of 1%ers. The right pre-schools, private schools, Ivies, Then Wall Street/law firms/Fortune 500 companies. There's probably a small amount of Whitelandian guilt. But not enough to break this cycle. And the American mantra of "anyone can do it!" dulls the reality that by far the easiset way to do it is to be born into The Club. Donnie & Dubya being a prime examples.

Deadtigers, luftmensch, M and 2 others repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is being racist a crime?

There are videos of some of the high schoolers harassing women, that should be perhaps a bigger story, then they do the racist chant to the native American group that confronted them, but as far as I know, they did not break any law, so matching that to the prison system is a pretty big stretch.

3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    *Anyone that's ever played sports or has kids that played sports against one of those schools*: Same. :)

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Man, you really have a problem with your reading comprehension in 2019.

Think about how the media portrays any dark person doing anything. The point was not the crime or the conduct, is how the media narrative goes differently about a white kid and a black kid. Not to mention that a cop would have probably beat the heck out of a black/indian/latino kid standing up to a MAGAhat with a smirk, at least in some states.

luftmensch, xtomx, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You are just arguing to be arguing. The high schoolers were in DC to protest for women to be legally no more than human incubators. You think harassing women is going to be a story?

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes race changes the narrative totally.

If a bunch of brown high school kids had been in Washington protesting something (say DACA) and they were being yelled racist shit by a small group of KKK members, while another group of old males got in between the 2 groups and go to the face of one of the brown kids, while the other high school brown kids then conducted them selves the same ass-like way as the catholic school kids did, the media story would be a total 180. Fox News would be attacking the kids while the left wing social media would be attacking the drummer group.

Unfortunately it seldom is, that is a problem.

Sounders78 and JohnR repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, is it completely vile to harbor wishes that those kids had been aborted?

Asking for a friend.

Deadtigers, roby, fatbastard and 3 others repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Utmost sensitivity to the threatened Whitelandian backed up by dozens of friends & chaperones who were letting them act like asswipes all over the Mall.

Compare that to the sliming of Trayvon Martin.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is true. There's more to be said on the topic, for example the difference between 1) a minority group cursing out the majority group and 2) a majority group cursing out a minority group, but yes. This event is a political Rohrschach test.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Because of course.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As I recall, you thought this shutout might go on for a long time and I said otherwise. Score one point for Q*bert.

superdave repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm making an official prediction: The shutdown won't end until January 2020.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    My time machine is messing up, sorry.

spejic and dapip repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sitruc repped this.
  15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I like to have a good little laugh at folks who get themselves up to their eyeballs in debt because they went to some big-name private school for college. After all, the quality of education that they received there was almost certainly no better than they would've received at a good public university.

At the same time, when you see how disproportionately those private colleges' alumni -- many of whom got into those colleges through legacy admissions -- are represented in the halls of power, can you really blame folks for wanting to pay the higher cost?

Even in the software business, which likes to portray itself as some sort of meritocracy, you stand a much greater chance of getting VC funding for the startup to monetize your brilliant ideas if you went to Stanford as opposed to San Jose State.

Deadtigers, fatbastard, Ismitje and 5 others repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Soviets are coming!!!
    The Soviets are coming!!!

sitruc, superdave and xtomx repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The irony is that if they went to a truly big-name private school, they're probably not up to their eyeballs in debt. Those schools have huge financial-aid budgets. For example, Stanford estimates the annual all-in cost for its incoming freshmen to be $73,000. Of that amount, the average payout for a student coming from a family that makes between $95,000 and $125,000 per year is $16,000. The remaining $57,000 is covered by Stanford grants. Not loans, grants.

The Ivies are similar, as is the University of Chicago.

The problem is that as you descend the private-school prestige ladder, the money becomes less available, and so too do the opportunities for the graduates. By the bottom, for example Trump University, there is no grant money and there are also no jobs. Just debt, debt, debt, without prospects.

The top private universities are a bargain, in every sense of the word. But they are not representative of the norm.

Ismitje, luftmensch, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  18. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #8093 Q*bert Jones III, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Coming out of high school, I went to a small northeastern liberal arts college on a big scholarship. I had to drop out because the scholarship wasn't quite big enough. I ended up at a massive Big 10 school. So I got to live both worlds.

The level of education, especially for upper level and graduate classes, was as good or better at the state school. But I have to tell you that the personal networks that I made at the prestigious private school more than made back the ridiculous tuition. When my career was stalled in the 90s, the wealthy friends I made at the hioty-toity private school really came through for me. (For the record, I NEVER underestimated the value of my luck and privilege.)

But to say that there's no value in surrounding yourself with smart and wealthy kids who are starting on 3rd base is naive.

Yeah, my daughter is paying less to go to a top sub-Ivy liberal arts college than she would to go to SUNY.

Deadtigers, sitruc, M and 2 others repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you know this, but a perfect example of that rich white privileged.

20. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #8095 InTheSun, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Agree with all this. Princeton was the most generous in our research. You are absolutely right though, the top schools are a frigging bargain in comparison to the private second tier. University of Chicago was our kid's top (and only out of state) choice and she got wait listed. Had she been accepted we would have done everything we could to help her close the gap. The networking, opportunities and the faculty ("who's in the room with you", as a friend of mine put it) would have been worth it. The proposition would not have been the same had it been let's say a Boston University (with all due respect to that fine institution). In the end she chose the top state school and lo and behold she's going to graduate in 2020 with NO DEBT.

An important development with the state schools as a result of the economic reality, is that they are rising in academic quality of student accepted. The top kids are staying home more and competition has become fierce, despite the usual legacy shenanigans and foreign students who pay full cost.

fatbastard, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cohen afraid of becoming Flying Cohen:

Thank you captain obvious:

sitruc repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe off topic, but we should be careful in thinking of state schools as being egalitarian and Ivies as rich kids. The median parent income of a Michigan student, for example, is slightly above that of Cornell and Columbia.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/columbia-university

crazypete13, sitruc, Val1 and 3 others repped this.
  23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes.
    You need to change it to hopes and prayers that they had been aborted.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a long conversation with a couple of PhD/Associate Professors who did not understand why students would not do well in class with the material they gave them. Mind, these were two who were former St. Jude Post Docs, so very high achieving. I tried to tell them about differentiated learning and such, and that not everybody was able to grasp the same material the same way. They looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, and stupid for suggesting that University professors make some adjustment.

luftmensch and Sounders78 repped this.
  25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally anecdotal, but I'm seeing a LOT of support from "anti-statists", right-Libertarians, classical liberals, and others for the shutdown as a means of tearing down the administrative state. Including some hard-left types like those who cheered on Trump because they wanted to tear down the status quo, "shake things up," etc.

Ideologues love anything that looks like revolutionary disruption. Combine that with the Trumpest base and there's likely a significant minority of the population eager to sit by and watch the bonfire.

fatbastard, luftmensch and sitruc repped this.