TriNations Rugby{Aust/NZ/SA}[R]

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by BhoysFC1995, Jul 10, 2004.

1. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i figure its about time we get a thread on this since its starts next week. some news already-

Marshall baits Wallabies
    suggests Australia were intimidated by heavy-hitting Pacific Islanders in last week's Adelaide Test

All Blacks hit out at 'soft' Wallabies

schedule-
    July 2004:
    Sat July 17: New Zealand vs Australia Westpac Stadium, Wellington
    Sat July 24: New Zealand vs South Africa Jade Stadium, Christchurch
    Sat July 31: Australia vs South Africa Subiaco Oval, Perth

August 2004:
    Sat August 7: Australia vs New Zealand Telstra Stadium, Sydney
    Sat August 14: South Africa vs New Zealand Ellis Park, JHB
    Sat August 21: South Africa vs Australia ABSA Stadium, Durban

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Tri Nations Rugby[R]

Tonight (Friday night/Saturday morning) 12:30 AM Pacific/3:30 AM Eastern on FoxSportsWorld:

New Zealand vs Australia

3. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now

New Zealand is my pridiction. This will some what make up for RWC 03 disapointment.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a mess of a weather with wind-drift and constant rain, which made very skilled play difficult. But many would argue (including me) that it was a classic weather for football. I found the matchup of Joe Rokocoko vs. Lote Tuqiri very intriguing, and thought Rokocoko pretty much dominated this matchup. Steven Larkham was having a horrible time for the Wallabies with his punting play. Overall the match wasn't even remotely balanced, with the All Blacks owning the football in the Australian half of the field for 90% of the match. A fair result for what I wouldn't call one of the prettiest football match I've ever seen. (A bit of a letdown after All Blacks vs. Pacific Islanders last week.)

http://planetrugby.com/Tournaments/Tri_Nations/story_37276.shtml

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tonight (Friday night/Saturday morning) 12:30 AM Pacific/3:30 AM Eastern on FoxSportsWorld:

New Zealand vs South Africa.

Let's see if the All Blacks can win 2 in a row. The Springboks looked very shaky under Pacific Islanders onslaught in the second half last week. Not sure about the weather forecast. I say, let it rain again! The mud and the wind makes for a perfect football slush spectacle.

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my word!!! What a nailbiter! All Blacks winning with their only try on the last play of the test match.

The only thing I can think of saying after seeing this, is what Alex Ferguson said after beating Bayern Muenchen at the death in 1999: Bloody hell, it's football.

http://rugby365.com/LATEST_NEWS/story_37390.shtml

I felt really sorry for the Springbok. Their defence looked incredibly good, except for it to crack on the last play. To be fair though, they didn't score a single point for the entire second half. That's not the way to win a test match, and they didn't.

7. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    well after this game, it seems like this years tri-nations will definitely be alot more competitive/tightly contested. the aussie/sa match is looking to be a good one.

8. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    well, SA just beat the All Blacks today 40-26. i blame the All Blacks defeat on them dropping spencer! how could they win without him leading the haka???? :)
    it was nice too, not having to get up (or try to ;) ) early, it started at 10am.

it leaves the Wallabies fate in their own hands, their last game is at the Springboks next saturday.

The result ended New Zealand's hopes for a sixth title and third straight, while South Africa can win the crown for only the second time and first since 1998 with a victory next Saturday against Australia.

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Come on you Springboks!

10. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    [​IMG]

BOKS Blitz Wallabies

South Africa 23 Australia 19
    A SECOND-HALF Springbok blitz gave South Africa their first Tri-Nations rugby title in six years at Durban's Kings Park today.

looks like the pressure got to Rathbone a bit too, making two silly unforced errors, although it sounds like he gives good sound bites in interviews-
    "Branded a "traitor" by some Springboks for switching allegiance, Rathbone did not help his cause by reportedly telling South Africans to "go to hell" in a pre-match interview."

11. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Congrats to the Springboks. It has been a while coming but hopefully it will help get some of the politics out of South African rugby but I doubt it.

12. Los Libero

Los Libero New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Earth
    It was a great match last night. Australia only have themselves to blame, they went to sleep at the start of the second half. It's good for Rugby to have a competitive Boks team again.

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 of the Springbok scores (2 penalties??) were eventually setup, when Australia was stripped of the football in a strange manner. They were supposed take line-outs in the Springbok half of the field, but took too long to actually take the line-out. I don't remember the name of the player who was supposed to throw the football. George Gregen was really furious about the situation. I haven't seen a more absurd way to lose possesion, that too twice in a row in a match of such high stakes. On each occasion they were punished for their mistake.

Anyway, congrats to a young South African team on their achievements!

14. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The Wallabies again complained to South African rugby authorities after having to evade missiles thrown from the crowd during Saturday's Tri Nations loss.

Captain George Gregan came close to being hit in the head with a soft-drink bottle just before the resumption of play in the second half.

"Just before the kick-off, this soft-drink bottle, which was about three-quarters full, came whizzing past my right shoulder and right ear," he said.

Gregan picked up the bottle from the field of play and handed it to officials on the sideline.

"I just wanted to make sure we had some evidence of what was going on. I told them to hang on to the bottle. We'll be making a complaint about this," he said.

In the opening minutes of the Test, what seemed to be a small football was hurled from the upper decks of the grandstand and came close to hitting several Wallabies forwards.

The 2002 Wallabies were subjected to a barrage of beer bottles and oranges in the final minutes of the Tri Nations match in Johannesburg, angering coach Eddie Jones and Gregan.

Several Australian Super 12 teams have also been incensed that their players have been hit by missiles during games in South Africa.

South African officials have repeatedly promised the Australian Rugby Union they would increase security at Wallabies matches, but there is little evidence this has occurred. Promises have not been followed by proper action.

At many of the gates at Durban's ABSA Stadium on Saturday, there were no bag checks, although there was a warning at one entrance that for this Test firearms would be confiscated.

15. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Ridiculous behavior because it diminishes their team's victory. It seems the Bok fans have forgotten they could actually be good and indulged in "we're gonna lose anyway" behavior.