Tribute to Lucas Tony, the Legend, thread.

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Calcio Pauly, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ok boys. He's earned it.

[​IMG]

The original Legend of the Fall finally has his own thread.

Here we post our favorite Lucas Tony moments.

Rossonero23, phat, elvesuvio and 4 others repped this.
  2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was at that game where he scored two trademark tap ins vs

The Ukraine

Forza Legend of the Fall Lucas Tony

el napulitan, LGRod, Falc and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I remember when Lippi called him to the national team in 2004 and people were like "WTF? Why is Lippi calling a Serie B player?"

Now 11 years later and still going strong....bull cock strong...I bet they're all eating their words!!

4. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At that point though, he had just come off a great season scoring 30 goals and helping Palermo from the Serie B to the A. I was living in Italy at the time and next to a somewhat injured Vieri an out of favor Gilardino along with Totti and Cassano who weren't true striker/forwards, Toni was the man. Lippi had no choice but to pick him.

LGRod and Sal repped this.
  6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Take a day or so... then come back and we can all laugh as friends again!!

el napulitan and Sal repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Luca Toni is Italy's top Italian goalscorer....
    Gol=13 Rigori = 3

Sal repped this.
  8. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Luca Toni>Father Time

elvesuvio and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    @falvo
    You watching Dustin Hoffman trying to speak Italian on Varietà right now? Funny stuff.

@Sal
    Luca Toni > Dustin Hoffman

Sal repped this.
  10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    @Il Ciuccio

How much you guys spent for Higuain again?

[​IMG]

Could have had the Legend for free.

BH Fanatico, LGRod and Sal repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I remember that video. I think it was in 2004 on Fiorello's show.

Toni is one of the best Italian goal scorers ever in my opinion.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Aha, I just caught a glimpse of the show. He did look much younger.

How would you rate Toni in comparison to Chinaglia?

What was your favorite Toni moment ever?

Sal repped this.
  13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Welcome to Lucas Tony's #1 fan and good luck charm.

14. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17 falvo, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    It was a different era and the game has changed. Chinaglia smoked and drank and didn't really take care of himself all that much but was tall with long legs and somewhat of a beast. He left Lazio for the Cosmos in 1976 but I'm pretty sure he could have kept on going had he not stepped on Feruccio Valcareggi's as well as other managers toes. He was close to Fabio Capello and neither really were pillars in the national team and they didn't really get along with the coaches. Seeing Giorgio play live was just awesome and he out shined other world class players like Pele, Cruyff , Beckenbauer, Muller and Best during the old NASL days. No one back then scored more or even came close to scoring as much as Giorgio did.
    Strangely, I liked him when he was a relatively unknown player playing under Carlo Mazzone at Brescia with Roby Baggio. I remember I first saw and liked him ever since he scored 3 goals against Perugia in 2002 and you could see he had a nose for the goal. The year after, he chose to go down to the Serie B as Zampa was making a great team trying to gain promotion and the rest was history. He went on to score many more goals and maybe he scored many more important ones for Fiorentina and Bayern , but because no one cared or really knew about him at the time and the fact that I still remember that game , as it was his first glimpse of stardom, I think that is my favorite Toni moment.

BSUPPORT – 27^ GIORNATA: BRESCIA-PERUGIA ...

Mondo CALCIO - Serie A 2001/2002: TONI - RAISport

Il Brescia di Toni affonda il Perugia - La Repubblica

phat and Sal repped this.
  16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

best video on youtube

Calcio Pauly and Sal repped this.
  17. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No, this is.

johnny6, Calcio Pauly, shiboboo and 3 others repped this.
  18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    There are too many best moments. Perhaps more to come!

Sal and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #21 falvo, Mar 15, 2015
    Its hard to imagine Italy starting a 39 year old forward in time for the (May-June) Euro in 2016 but looking at Serie A other current forwards, there aren't too many better than Toni.

Sal repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Luis Van Gaal jealous of Lucas Tonys supremely good looks!

Falling out with his playboy striker

When Luca Toni got an ear-bashing at the dinner table

[​IMG]

Luca Toni scored plenty of goals for Bayern - but Van Gaal didn't like his playboy image

The Italian international Luca Toni was a big hero at Bayern when Van Gaal arrived, having won the double playing alongside Franck Ribery under Ottmar Hitzfeld in his first season and scored 38 goals in 56 Bundesliga games across two campaigns. But from their first days together, Toni and Van Gaal had a terrible relationship.

In one training camp the Dutch coach was unhappy with Toni's manners when the team assembled for meetings and meals. One day Toni, a tall man, was slouching on his chair during dinner, as if he were watching TV on a sofa. Van Gaal went behind Toni's chair and pulled his ears to make him sit up straight.

For a proud Italian this was a humiliation. "The way Van Gaal treated the key players was unworthy on a human basis," Toni later reflected.

In September 2009, Van Gaal forced Toni to play two matches for FC Bayern II, their amateur team in Germany's third division, while he was recovering from an Achilles tendon injury. The match was watched by about 2,000 fans as the 2006 World Cup winner stumbled on the bumpy ground at the old stadium.

Van Gaal, though something of a showman himself, could not stand Toni's playboy image, with the Italian frequently portrayed as Bayern's "beau". The coach also felt Toni lacked discipline and fined the Italian in November 2009 when he left the stadium at half-time, having been substituted during a match against Schalke.

Falling out with the whole team...

The time he dropped his pants

Van Gaal revelled in his reputation as fearlessly belligerent and at Bayern went to extreme lengths to prove it. "Van Gaal wanted to make clear to us that he can drop any player from the team," Luca Toni revealed later.

"It was all the same to him because, as he said, he had the balls. He demonstrated this literally by dropping his pants. I have never experienced anything like it, it was totally crazy. Luckily I didn't see a lot, because I wasn't in the front row."

Falling out with the club hierarchy

The time he insulted his Bayern bosses

[​IMG]

Ex-Bayern president Uli Hoeness wasn't impressed by Van Gaal's suggestion he could learn from reading his book
    In October 2010 Van Gaal invited Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness, two senior members of the Bayern hierarchy, to the launch of his new book, Biographie & Vision, in a Munich hotel.

It should have been a convivial moment, especially as Hoeness had written the book's foreword. However, Bayern were experiencing their worst ever start to the season at the time and were 13 points from the top of the league, which made it all the stranger when the ever-confident Van Gaal gave them a copy, saying: "You can learn from it. It is important that you read it."

Screw you Van Gaal...screw you!!!

St. Michael's Sword, LGRod and Sal repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The top beIN goal of the day went to who else, the LEGEND!

shiboboo, Calcio Pauly and Sal repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #24 falvo, Mar 15, 2015
    Obviously none of us were there and I'm sure the story may have changed a bit since then but it never ceases to amaze me in regards to some coaches. Regardless of players faults and the images they portray or the amount of money they make, when you have a player like Toni scoring 38 goals in 60 games at Bayern, who cares how he acts off the field? I mean was he really all that disruptive to the team? I seriously doubt it and it seems to me Van Gaal was just trying to win a point and show off among the rest of the players in the group.

Sal repped this.
  23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Van Gaal is anti-Italian. There must be a term for that.

el napulitan, LGRod and Sal repped this.