Sean Johnson.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by AutoPenalti, Nov 1, 2011.

1. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/31/fire-may-send-johnson-train-manchester-united

Let's hope they work a deal.

Fire goalkeeping coach Aron Hyde told MLSsoccer.com over the phone on Monday that the Fire are trying to work out a deal that would send the 22-year-old Johnson to train with the Red Devils sometime during the Premier League’s busy Christmas period.

“It would be a really good experience for him if we can get it all set up properly," Hyde said. "Being around those guys and being involved will be good for him. It would boost his confidence.”

Fire goalkeeping coach Aron Hyde told MLSsoccer.com over the phone on Monday that the Fire are trying to work out a deal that would send the 22-year-old Johnson to train with the Red Devils sometime during the Premier League’s busy Christmas period.

“It would be a really good experience for him if we can get it all set up properly," Hyde said. "Being around those guys and being involved will be good for him. It would boost his confidence.”

2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link & quote, but I think there's an echo in here! :p

3. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't that say "Train" instead of "Trial"?

4. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine there's any way this is an actual trial. ManYoo already have De Gea and Lindegaard for the long-term, and Amos as a young guy with potential. Ron Robert Zieler couldn't even break into the squad over there, and he's making it rain over in the Bundesliga now. Plus I can't imagine Johnson has any way of getting a European passport. Training with United is a great opportunity for Johnson, but as of now there's no reason to look at this potential trip as anything more than that.

5. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a training deal like Hamid with West Brom

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Bingo.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite.

American keepers have a better chance at getting WPs as exceptional talents than Yanks at other positions. That's how Howard and Guzan got WPs. And Hamid seems to be Klinsman's choice for the future. To put it another way, there's a CHANCE Hamid could get a WP on appeal in the next 1-2 years. I don't see how Johnson could. Hamid is on the bench behind Howard, and he's got the inside track to play in the Olympics.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't really a difference. He shows up, he practices, if he is outstanding, they look into signing him, if he's average, he goes home.

9. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would his Jamaican citizenship be any sort of help with getting into Britain?

10. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever man, just, whatever..

11. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that rule changed some time ago. Only way it would work is if one of his Jamaican grandparents used the commonwealth laws of the time to move to England and become citizens.

12. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that's a relevant distinction that perhaps shouldn't be dismissed?

13. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I happen to think SJ is more of a talent than Hamid... so I'm not completely suprised by this. Well, I'm suprised the club is actually Man frikin' United, but like one of the previous posters said even if they liked him he'd be so far down on the depth chart he'd be selling pies out of one of the concession booths.

14. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the report emphasizes training, so in the end it's training. There is a possibility that he impresses and they pay for him. However, it is unlikely. The best part in the article is that Man U is not his only destination. He stays there a couple weeks and they are attempting to get a couple more destinations. When he returns to the Fire he should be sharp and ready. Too bad we arent sending some of our other guys (ie. Victor and Kellen) to train in the off season.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Lots of MLS guys have trained with English clubs. Eddie Johnson at Reading, heck Freddy Adu even went to Man U IIRC. I think Geoff Cameron and Danny Cruz went to Nottingham Forest.

Maybe reports out of England are saying different but I think training is training. In England I don't know if they lump training and trial together.

16. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that coaches talk to other coaches. Maybe Johnson shows some potential and Man U's staff know he is not at their level but they will pass the word onto other teams that they have relationships with.

Whether he just trains and comes home or trains with an eye to the future is always a good thing to be in an environment like Man U

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trial usually means the club is a bit more interested in considering signing the player. Essentially it's the same though. They train with the team, and if the player really impresses, then he is going to draw interest.

I'd break it down according to expectations. The likelihood of signing with United are slim to none, so in terms of expectations it's most likely just training with the team.

18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him at Spurs. Besides Button he has similar experience to our other young keepers. As long as he doesn't mind going out on loan then I don't see a problem with it. We're really thin at GK, at United what are the chances he's ever going to replace De Gea. So even if he signed he'd be in the same situation with Spurs being regularly loaned out but at least with Spurs he can find himself in the first team depending on how he progresses.

19. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us not forget in Howard's first season with Man U he was goalkeeper of the year. In my mind the jury is still out on De Gea

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Gea has a ways to go, but they're not likely to bring in Sean Johnson to replace him.

21. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I think a good scenario here is he raises a few eyebrows during training and that earns him a trial with another EPL club.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Close to 0% chance. But never say never.............

Unless the Jamaican heritage helps him somehow, he doesn't have a prayer of getting a work permit.

Bill Hamid, on the other, supposedly had a means of getting an EU passport. At least that's what was reported when he was training with Celtic.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anders Lindegaard is a better keeper than De Gea. The Dane is a very, very good keeper and it would be an incredible mistake to give him the Kuszczak treatment.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A simple "training stint" was how Bryan Arguez wound up being sold to Hertha Berlin. That was a nice piece of business for DC United, given how little he had accomplished before and since.

25. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh...I don't know. Lindegaard hasn't played nearly enough against top competition for anybody to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

In the meantime, De Gea has been a stud for about the last month-and-a-half. Almost none of the six City hung up on us were his fault, and he's put in some remarkable performances in other games (United is giving up the most shots in the league right now) while making fewer and less costly mistakes. He had an awful first few weeks in the spotlight, before starting to justify the hype once everyone looked away.