Tri Nations: What is the biggest rivalry?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Catfish, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know there are 3 teams, but which of them has the biggest rivalry and WHY?
    Australia vs. NZ
    NZ vs SA
    SA vs. Australia

Thanks.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Depends who you ask. Australians will say Australia vs. NZ. Young New Zealanders will say Australia v. NZ. Old New Zealanders will say South Africa v. NZ as will South Africans.

For my money, it's probably South Africa v. New Zealand, because that's the oldest genuine blood feud in Southern Hemisphere rugby. Australia v. New Zealand is one of the oldest fixtures in rugby, but Australia has generally been a pretty mediocre rugby team until the last 20 years.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My thought was Australia and NZ only because of how close they are and having similiar histories.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    New Zealand and South Africa have equally similar histories, more so because their bond through rugby has extended back to 1921.

Australia just simply weren't very good until the Ella brothers came around. They've lost to Tonga.

5. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    For a traditional NZ'er the rivalry would probably go:

1: British Lions
    2: SA
    3: Australia

As has been mentioned before, Australia were rubbish until the early 1980's.

Australia's top rivalry is NZ

SA's is also NZ

6. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'd say South Africa is ahead of the British Lions. The Lions are important, but they come so infrequently. Every 12 years. Even when the Lions toured every three years and didn't go to Australia seperately, it was still every five/six years.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    for new zealand

in the professional era it has to be australia vs new zealand, most people here would rather win the bledisloe cup than the tri nations

in the amateur era, it was south africa vs new zealand

8. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'd say that's pretty much a function of the Springboks being crap though. You get a Springbok team that's good for 4-5 years, it will swing back.

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I dont think so, for the new generation(under 30's) the wallabies are our biggest rivals

even South Africa's 1995 victory over new zealand in the world cup, dint change that

the Bledisloe cup had a lot to do with australia overtaking south africa

10. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The Bledisloe Cup's been around since the early 30s. That becoming more important was a pretty big function of actually having it taken off your hands for the first time.

A few more games like today and Kiwis will not be happy. Die Bokke is rug.

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    exactly the fact australia finally started to beat new zealand, change the rivalries around

The kiwis are not happy(mostly because of the ref), but it wont change the fact that australia is now the number one rival

most of the people I know, could care less about the tri nations, they do however care for the bledisloe