Travel/Tickets: USA vs Honduras in Salt Lake City 6/18/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I haven't been to SLC since the WCQ in '05 and was trying to remember how best to work gameday beer. Looks like purchase Monday and ice it up is the answer.

I'll be staying downtown Sunday & Monday and at the Sandy Clarion on Tuesday. From a quick look, I was considering hitting The Bayou (I think we went there in '05), Beerhive Pub, Squatters Pub, and Red Rock Brewery while downtown, in addition to the Bourbon House for the AO night before party. Looks like Epic is walkable from where I'm staying, too (and is open on Sunday!). Any other beer-centric downtown recommendations would be appreciated.

3. milesfoxx2005

milesfoxx2005 Member

Nov 8, 2006
    The Netherzone!!!!!
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    You could take the train east to Trolley Square and enjoy Desert Edge Brewery. The other Salt Lake Area breweries will take a rental car.

For beer bars in downtown (besides what you've named) you could do O'Shucks (the only Salt Lake bar that serves in schooners), Cheers to You (for divey delights), Lumpy's (Salt Lake's premier sports bar), or Gracie's (another gastro-pub to match the one's you're going to)

Atouk repped this.
  4. Rexazure

Rexazure Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    Genoa CFC
    Anyone have any random suggestions for a first time USMNT goer? Been watching our boys, jerseyed up at home all my life but me and a few friends will be driving out tomorrow from California for our first live viewing.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stock your car full of beer and hot dogs. Head over to the stadium early. Park. Enjoy

6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Was wondering if anyone with kids can comment on how good an idea this TRACX option is? I've looked at a map, and it looks to be a little over half a mile on E 9400 S turning into W 9400 S. Would you consider it safe? Is it a large crowd post-game? Do they run extra cars/trains post game to handle a crowd or can you have lengthy waits? Anything else you'd suggest be considered? Thanks in advance and please send private message if you prefer.

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Agreed. Nothing beats joining the pre-game tailgate for any game, and highly recommended for a first live game. Festive. Learn some chants and songs if you don't know them. Meet people who share the passion.

8. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TRAX is pretty good about running extra trains after a match. Certainly safe, but will likely be crowded with lots of people standing. Make sure on the way from downtown to the stadium to take the BLUE line (likely will say SANDY on the front of the train).

9. treadOnYou

treadOnYou New Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Looks like the play is to get and cool your own beer prior to the tailgate but what about inside the stadium? Should we be getting creative with flasks or do they sell beer there? Also, if you suggest flasks - do they use metal detectors?

10. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beer (even good beer) is available in the stadium, but it is not full strength. Detectors are not used at the RioT.

11. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those traveling fans and those from Utah, US Soccer is hosting some fan activities in downtown SLC this evening including a Pep Rally with select players and Coach Klinsmann.
    Refer to the link taken from ussoccer.com

Here's to a large turnout from the U.S. fans!

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...ries-of-fan-activities-in-salt-lake-city.aspx

U.S. SOCCER FAN ACTIVITIES
    Monday, June 17 U.S. Soccer Fan Headquarters Time: 5 p.m.
    U.S. Soccer Pep Rally Time: 7:30 p.m.
    Tuesday, June 18 U.S. Soccer Tailgate and Fan Fest Time: 5 p.m.
    Purchase tickets online in advance
    U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Honduras Time: 7 p.m.

12. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    I have 2 AO tix available, PM if interested!

Let's go get our 3 points!!! C'MON US!!!

13. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

As I was checking into hotel, I found out Team Honduras is staying here. They had lots of support and people cheering them on as they went to practice.

14. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it's time to publish said hotel so that we can get US support over there so they know that they are in our place and they aren't going to be leaving with any points.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he's at the Sheraton.

16. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the US staying in SLC, anyone know

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Solid crowd at bourbon house tonite, nice work ao slc.

18. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Word is they are at The Grand America Hotel.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to lie. This was not a good experience for me.

20. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What made it not a great experience

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ummm security told me to sit down. Then they asked why I wasn't standing later? Wtf? Our own section wanted us to stop waving flags and taunted us by our own fans saying I was from Honduras because I was waving a flag. I tried to get people to sign with the main section and they just stood quietly. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt vs Seattle until they grabbed the flag out off hand in the 93rd minute and said they couldn't see.

22. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is bs, that is why I have always slipped into the main AO section regardless of actually have a ticket in it. Taking a flag away is crazy, what loosers.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the ******** AO section!

24. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then that leaves me speachless, how the hell did it come to that. Crazy

25. chris4usa

chris4usa Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was actually just to the right side of the supporters section. Not at all like Seattle. The security staff in Rio Tinto is complete BS, the stupid rent a cops are a joke. People can get as mad as they want with this comment but it appeared that the Salt City United who always wear black to RSL games camped out in their normal place in front as they do at RSL but they didn't care one bit about coordinating chants within the rest of AO sections. Didn't seem to be well coordinated at all. I wonder what others think. I actually came and sat in the upper section of AO for a good portion of the 2nd half and no one from below was leading any cheers.

Real Corona repped this.