Travel/Tickets: USA vs Antigua, Tampa, Raymond James, 6/8

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Feb 15, 2012.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    do you think americans or antiguan fans are buying mostly?

2. If there are any runners going, Tampa has a *great* running/social club called Run For Brews South Tampa.

http://runningforbrews.com/locations/

We'll be meeting up for a 5k run at World of Beer at 7 PM on Thursday, literally right across the street from MacDinton's, the place for AO's night-before party. Fun times and **CUTE** girls!

Run in your USA gear, and if you decide to just drink at MacDinton's, make sure to cheer on people like me who'll be in USA gear and carrying the flag!

Did I mention ... ***CUTE*** girls. Many of them. This is a popular club, so don't be shy and show these Tampa people that soccer fans can run!

soccersubjectively and Prime Time repped this.
  3. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    what was the attendance for usa vs panama last summer in the gold cup?

4. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...falls-to-panama-in-gold-cup-group-c-play.aspx

But the fact that it is at 16,000 and likely to get to 20,000 by Friday is enough to consider this venue choice a success. First WCQ last cycle was at Home Depot Center, an MLS market, and it did not even get to 12K.

11,476 was the attendance that day.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...g-8-0-win-against-barbados-at-the-home-d.aspx

5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

At first I thought it was a bad idea but now the USSF looks like a genius.
    Maybe a lot of people who went to the Jacksonville match had so much fun they decided to drive down to Tampa. That is my theory for the boost in tickets.
    Also the sizable Antigua contingent that decided to go last second.

6. MatthewC

MatthewC Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    And i suspect the sizeable Antigua population is in south Florida and in the Northeast (NY, Boston, DC) making travel to the game rather simple with numerous direct flights and easy driving distance from south Florida.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how many Antiguans go.

Last year it was maybe 60-40 to 70-30 us- Panamanian fans.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Antigua small nation...20% of crowd should be antiguan

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Goff's column, re attendance:
    So, comparatively, Tampa is kicking butt. Having this game on a Friday instead of a Saturday, and early at 7 pm instead of 8 pm or later doesn't help much. USA v Cuba would have really sold tickets in Tampa, but not sure it would be the crowd we'd want. I'm hoping we can push close to 20K, it will probably depend on how the weather holds up.

Weather forecast for the ZIP code where Ray J is:

10. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I'm going...I did pick the Scotland game thinking as it was Antigua i would just watch it on tv, as i live in Daytona 127 miles away from Tampa, but i decided to go..... probably a good idea that I did for the support! Every bit help......

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Chance of rain now down to 50% all day fri...well scattered thunderstorms...so I guess its gonna be a wet day and horrible playing wetaher...lol this just ruined my day now, I was expecting nice sunny FL weather with a clear sky.

13. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in June. One thing I've learned in my trips to Florida....the summer weather is crazy unpredictable. It very well could not rain a drop the entire day at RayJay, but be pouring at Clearwater Beach.
    Just show up and enjoy the atmosphere. Bring an "Island Time" attitude with you!

GoingGoaling repped this.
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how Florida summers are from my experience. Giant rain clouds just float around dumping water. You just wait the cloud out for a few minutes and it moves on.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    I predict a 2-2 game....scorers for usa..dempsey and bradley...for antigua..dexter blackstock and stefan smith

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly a 2-0 victory would be received poorly by our fans. A draw and the sites would be overwhelmed with us fans tossing themselves off the nearest high buildings.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Remember usa barely survived Guadeloupe last summer in the gold cup...so real corona...i think i may have to stop u from jumping off ur hotel roof! =)

18. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup Squad = B/B- squad.
    WCQ = A/A- squad.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say that was my expectation.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be an astronomical upset.

Obviously anything is possible, but going back to qualification for the 1998 World Cup, the United States is 28-1-5 at home during World Cup qualifiers.

21. Wes.AOAbq

Wes.AOAbq New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Made it from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Tampa! I will be at the AO bar Thurs night anyone else going To be there or what about the tailgate? Hope to meet some of you guys.

Shibb repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping to go to the training scheduled for 7pm that night.

23. G Dawg

G Dawg Member

Apr 28, 2011
    yes yes I know guys usa will win. just saying it to get everyone excited!

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've followed this team long enough to know that they can beat any team in the world, but that they can also lose to any team in the world. I expect nothing until its in the bag. The worst thing for the collective American sporting mindset and mentality is a game it thinks it should win. We've proven it over and over across multiple sports that if our teams believe the hype and become overconfident, we general get smacked in the face.

25. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you the guy with the wrapped car we met in Phoenix? Will be at the bar tonight, spent all last night cooking for the tailgate tomorrow, so a bit tired, so may not be a long night tonight.