Travel/Tickets: USA versus Honduras in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (10/10/2009)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by swkfilms, Jun 30, 2009.

1. nsguerra

nsguerra New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Re: USA vs Honduras October 11th Who's Going?

how much have you found the tickets for . . let me know PLEASE!

2. Atlantaman

Atlantaman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: USA vs Honduras October 11th Who's Going?

Is the game on the 11th or the 10th of OCT?

3. Atlantaman

Atlantaman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How are you guys getting the tickets to the game?

4. Atlantaman

Atlantaman New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about tickets to the game?

5. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a founding member of U.S. Soccer SC, we would like to invite you to request tickets through U.S. Soccer for the FIFA World Cup qualifying match on Saturday, Oct. 10 between the U.S. Men's National Team and Honduras. The match will kickoff at 8 p.m. and is held at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

U.S. Soccer has been provided Category 1 tickets ($45), which we are making available to our fans. Please use the attached order form to place your ticket order. Orders are limited to four tickets and will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. The order submission deadline is Monday, September 21 at 9 a.m. ET.

Should you have any additional ticketing-related questions, please call 312-528-1227 or email tickets@ussoccer.org.

U.S. Soccer Thank you for supporting U.S. Soccer!

Sincerely,

U.S. Soccer

6. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the order form:

http://home.comcast.net/~timboston/misc/USSSC_ticketopportunity_HON_away.pdf

7. ctown80

ctown80 New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    South Dakota
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the attached order form. Or is their a link that we need to use to get tickets. Thanks, ctown80

8. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....they are making them available to fans who pony up the $50 membership fee. Perhaps they will open them up to the less important fans later. LOL.

I can sort of understand their trying to pimp premium seats for home matches (but not really considering the poor attendance in general).

But you'd think for an away match in Honduras they would make it as easy as possible to get fans there. Do they just not get it that we are there for them? Why do they want to charge us money to be fans?

I guess I will buy mine at the stadium the day before.

10. MakingNews

MakingNews Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Detroit, MI
  11. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    tickets are available to USSC members first and after that there will be a general sale to anyone who wants to buy a ticket

12. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea - I know - I just like busting on the Fed for the $50 supporters club that really doesn't do anything except give you discounts on merchandise at their store and the opportunity to buy tix in advance. Well, there is the free, exclusive scarf and membership card, I suppose.

It's just another way of squeezing more money out of the fans who already bleed for them. I'd love to see them offer away match tix through SA and AO. The dozen or so people I know going to this match are all AO members.

Also, the whole "official" moniker is a slap in the face to the other supporters groups, taking away any recognition for the work we do to get people out to the game or the voice we lend to the atmosphere.

I'd love to see a show of hands for who is an "official" supporter out of everyone sitting in the supporters section at a home match.

I will climb down off my soap box now. Thanks.

13. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that you take this way to seriously. I think of it as a premium subscription much like people subscribe to English football clubs websites etc. If it isn't for you, fine. I just don't get your complaints about them doing this. The USSF is an organization that has to remain profitable. This is a valid revenue scheme. Calling it an "official supporters club" is silly and perhaps it should be changed to club membership or something like that.

14. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    big ups to mhaifa. the "us little people getting squashed by the man" routine is a bit tired. you have a choice, pay or don't pay. if you think the value is there then pay, if not then go to the stadium and scalp from the locals. You could probably save $15 bucks by scalping and you'll feel better about yourself by sticking it to the man. but then you should also get mad at the scalper who marked up the tickets by a few dollars as well.

16. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not about sticking it to the man and the little guy v big guy. I do think paying for the right to buy tickets is silly. And I have made my decisions whether to pay or not pay.

Just merely illustrating that the Feds seem to ignore the fact that there are thousands of people out there who have been supporters long before they started their club. I know they continue to work with SA and AO on tix, but you cant help but feel like they are trying to replace these clubs with their club instead of being grateful for their support.

That's all.

As for Haifa pointing out that they need to make money and profits, well, coming from a business perspective, if you are out to make money the best way is treat your customers fairly and not gouge them.

However, if you are USSoccer and have a monopoly on that product, in this case the US Team, economically, you are able to charge what the market will bare. By forming your own official group, then you can eliminate outside groups and completely control the market.

I'm not asking for anything to be free, just be fair to the customers who support you. And there is nothing wrong with that sentiment what-so-ever.

17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    That's fair. Ok, now let's focus on getting as many people down to San Pedro Sula as possible. Airfare is super cheap, hotels are super cheap, beer is super cheap. Let's hope for 1 point and all will be great.

18. NYCHammer

NYCHammer Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I travel to many away matches and I have met many people who travel to many of the same away matches. I would say that the majority of those people are neither SA or AO. This is not to criticize either organization who do a fine job, but rather to disagree with one your points.

I also go to every home match and am a member of the official supporters club.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've started to think about making this trip. When are most folks leaving SPS? Sunday...Monday?

20. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a member of SA or AO, but I have attended every match during qualifying plus the Confederations Cup matches. If you average out the $50 over all the matches they have offered, it comes out to a small handling fee. Also, a not so similar thing but still relative, those who pay always get first dibs. Season ticket holders get first rights to play-off matches, VISA or AMEX card holders get first rights to events, etc. I am just trying to say that this is completely accepted in the business world.

Besides the field pictures after the matches that they take on the field, they don't provide any events, bus trips etc. for matches nor have they tried to get the USSSC ticket holders to sit together and create cheers etc.

Welcome to the land of capitalism. I am happy the USSF put this program in place. As someone who travels to every match (both home & away) I would be extremely mad if I didn't get some sort of priority toward purchasing tickets. So $50 a year gets me that, a discount on the website and a free scarf to decorate the stadium.

21. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway-now that we have all had our say on the political economy of the Fed's supporters club, lets get back to the task at hand, getting buts in the seats for this match.

As a note - I have a room booked at the Hilton from 11/8-11/12 at $55 per night. I am now planning on spending a couple of days in Copan Ruinas before the match. I tried to change the reservation, but rates have gone up and it would have cost me just as much for 2 nights as it would for four.

So if you are coming into town early and want to save a few bucks on the hotel, you can have my room for thursday and friday nights at a discount. I will need it back for Sat. and Sun night, however.

Hit me with an email if you are interested.

22. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, prices at the Hilton went up today. Now it's $80 a night (prepayment required). I'm still leaning toward going (Friday-Mon). I'll make my decision over the weekend.

23. nsguerra

nsguerra New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Be good to your wife and she may just let you go!! mayb clean the house, flowers you know. . . work cant help you there good luck!!!

24. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume your reservations are 10/8-10/12?

25. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I am struggling to find a return flight... and it's putting my trip in doubt.

I found several good flights from Detroit to San Pedro Sula - the main one I am looking at leaves at like 7 AM, connects in Miami, and gets to Honduras around 1-2 pm, so I'd have a lot of time on Friday to check out the city, etc.

But coming home I can't find anything but a big mess. The "best" flight that I can find leaves at like 8 am and doesn't get to Detroit until almost 11 pm because of a 13 hour layover in Miami. The other flights are somehow even worse - they are 'overnight' and the layovers make it so I wouldn't get back to Detroit until Monday morning, despite leaving Honduras Sunday morning!

This isn't acceptable. I'm not going to spend all day Sunday traveling (or more specifically sitting around in an airport in Miami or Texas).

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to find a flight out of San Pedro in the evening and then get to Detroit no later than 2 AM. But at the very least I want to arrive at my destination no later than 7-8 hours after I leave (just like the flight down there), aka: if I HAVE to leave in the morning then I want to be home before dinner.