Travel/Tickets: USA versus Honduras in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (10/10/2009)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by swkfilms, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who's going to San Pedro Sula?

You got it buddy. I am also not a fan of multiple threads. It makes it difficult for those who are unsure as to what the plans are to make sense of what everyone is doing.

2. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes and in the most recent press release from our Honduras-based embassy, they urge Americans to avoid all non-essential travel to Honduras and specifically to avoid the Honduras vs Costa Rica soccer match (the report was released August 10th) as there were expectations of political demonstrations that the State department does not want Americans to get caught up in under any circumstances. I'll be following news from the US Department of State as well as news from the US Embassy in Tegucigalpa, Honduras in the near future.

3. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras match in Hondo Oct. 7

Anyone interested in going to Honduras for the Oct. 7 match? You can fly right into San Pedro Hula where match is most liking to be played. Lots of things to do on Coast there. Looks fun!!!!! Lets do it People!

4. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    Re: Honduras match in Hondo Oct. 7

there are a few active threads discussing the away match to Honduras. best to keep discussion in those.

5. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Honduras match in Hondo Oct. 7

merged

6. YanksCatrachos23

YanksCatrachos23 New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Bronx, New York
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

It wasnt a coup.

Let me clear up the misconceptions, quickly: The Honduran president thought he was above the law, breeched the constitution, and was therefore removed since his term had been terminated. (pun intended)

The Supreme court deemed his actions illegal, and the military was ordered to remove him from power. Congress chose a new president, Roberto Micheletti, who was our equivalent of the speaker of the house.

While it was Coup-like, it was actually the removal of a leftwing, Hugo Chavez loving president who broke the law.

7. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

I am 95% in.....it will probably be a rather quick trip but I should be there....

8. salchipapa619

salchipapa619 New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SoCal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Travel/Tickets: USA versus Honduras in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (10/11/2009)

this makes me want to go more.....................................

The Embassy advises American citizens residing in and visiting Honduras to restrict travel to necessary trips only on Tuesday, August 11, due to potentially large demonstrations in Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula. The Embassy also recommends American citizens avoid the vicinity of the Honduras – Costa Rica soccer match to be held August 12 in San Pedro Sula, as demonstrations are expected to take place there. The Embassy continues to monitor this situation closely and strongly recommends American citizens monitor local TV and radio each evening in case a curfew is again imposed.

http://honduras.usembassy.gov/pubanc09_contpolunrestupd0810.html

Roaton, whitewater rafting and relaxing on the islands off the coast until game should be fine!!!! I am leaving out of San Diego!!!!

9. M3gatron redded

M3gatron redded Red Card

Jun 14, 2009
    brasil
    Re: Travel/Tickets: USA versus Honduras in San Pedro Sula, Honduras (10/11/2009)

your going to be fine if you arrive on game day.
    no one cares about WTF the government/politics does on game.

10. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suddenly turned into a "we'll see" after my travel buddy dicked me. But I'm not ruling it out.

11. TommyCarcetti

TommyCarcetti Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

where are people staying? i have narrowed it down to Hilton Princess or Real Intercontinental....

12. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Intercontinental appears cheaper.

13. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

I will probably be staying at the Intercontinental.....there is also a chance that the USMNT team and also some of the ESPN coverage team stays there if that matters. Prices appear to be about the same, but I am unfamiliar with the Hilton Princess.

14. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And I got tagged on US Highway 1 today going 86 in a 65 so that sets me back even more. FML.

15. TommyCarcetti

TommyCarcetti Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That sucks. Not really luck, though.

16. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey - I'm in Wilmington, DE and will be flying out of Philly for this one. Kind of waiting to see what the work schedule is, if there are no jobs that week, then I am going.

17. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Correction - the President proposed a change to constitution that would essentially lift the term limits. He was seeking this through a popular vote. I am not an expert in Honduran constitutional law so I can comment as to the legality of that aspect.

The Supreme Court ruled on this to be illegal (of their own accord mind you - no challenge was brought before them). The Supreme Court then ordered the military to remove the president and installed its own president. The last two items are not within the powers of the Supreme Court and the legality of their ruling in the first instance is highly questionable.

Not saying I agree with the former President's proposal, but he was the legally elected president and was not removed from office in accordance with the constitution. That equals a coup in my book.

18. YanksCatrachos23

Jan 22, 2009
    Bronx, New York
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Alright Mr. "Honduran constitutional law expert", explain what would have been the "legal" way to remove him. The constitution does not label out an impeachment process. Have a field day looking that up buddy..

19. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is why I said I am NOT a Honduran constitutional law expert. But clearly, the Supreme Court seizing power is not a legitimate answer.

20. YanksCatrachos23

Jan 22, 2009
    Bronx, New York
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Oh lol I misread your statement.

But in any event, Id like to know why the Supreme Court is not a "legitimate" answer. Different countries do things differently.

21. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is one branch, the Supreme Court, assuming total control, by force and sole discretion without checks and balances that is the problem. The previous post was bitching about the president's lack of democracy, and defending the Supreme Courts actions. When in fact, what the supreme court has done is very un-democratic.

But lets talk football, now.

22. Wayne-o

Wayne-o New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Wilmo, Del
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

I can't make it, but hopefully this will encourage others to go. I took these when in town last year. It's at Estadio Francisco Morazán which is where the game will be if it's in SPS. Enjoy these please.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTlaR_zkxSQ"]YouTube - Stadium Entrance[/ame] - check out food vendors at 1:17minute mark. Very tasty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1Hyi4df5Y"]YouTube - Stadium Concession Stand[/ame] - here's concession stand for liquor. Classic lack of organization that makes central america so great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzbjRP7TwR4"]YouTube - Stadium Turtle Eggs[/ame] - and if this doesn't get you motivated then you a'int living. Vendors selling a turtle egg drink. With the spices it tasted like a bloody mary, just don't bite into the egg, swallow it whole. It's supposed to be an energy drink (aka: aphrodesiac). This is a must.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-SkQEyIes&feature=related"]YouTube - Stadium Pregame[/ame] - pregame vibe. It was a big game (semi-final in league tourney.)

Coincidentally, Carlos Pavon played for Real Espana during this game, he had an amazing scissor kick bang off the crossbar in the 10th minute. And then got a red card for brutal elbow in the 30th minute.

For the love of god, please go down there. Stadium is good though it does have track around it so the stands are a bit removed and the 'end zones' seem like miles away from the field.

Enjoy.

24. M3gatron redded

M3gatron redded Red Card

Jun 14, 2009
    brasil

wixson why where you at the game??

MLS not doing it for any more?:D

25. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

wife is from honduras.