Travel/Tickets: USA versus Brazil in East Rutherford, NJ (8/10/2010)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by TasteTheRainbow, May 28, 2010.

1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta do better than 5,000 in a country of 300,000,000 plus.

2. Heroes of Pretoria

Jun 23, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crowd will probably be 50/50.

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nice idea but how do you figure a new fan will spend a lot of money in the next wc cycle on jerseys and donations just because they attended a game? A newly converted casual fan will probably attend 1-2 US game over the next four year due to the location spread of our national team games. If they cant spend the extra $30 on tickets I highly doubt the money will go to us soccer gear.

There is no proof the new and casual fans are being priced out of this game, paying $40-90 is the norm for a sporting event these days, and the US is not like other countries where the majority of the fans are from lower income category. The casualties are likely to be the hardcore fans who travel around to attend games but may skip this and save the $100+ and use it on a competitive game like the gold cup or wcq in a few years.

4. GOBCU

GOBCU New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points... but the USSF is outpricing the fairweather fans who come out of the woodwork every 4 years for the World Cup

Getting the new fans that we gained from the WC into seats and showing them a good atmosphere in the supporters section would convert a lot of fairweather WC fans, to genuine die-hard US soccer fans.

5. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ********ing way.

6. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    The NJ Transit site has posted a list of events with rail service to New Meadowlands and the US v Brazil game is on there.

from the How To Ride page:

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like NJT is running from Penn Station NYC to the Meadowlands. A quick hit to their website yields results showing trains leaving almost every half hour. Trip takes about 30-45 minutes to the stadium from Penn.

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Rail working penn to secaucus, secaucus to meadowlands (no busses).

There's a couple dive bars near Penn on 8th ave between west 31st and west 30th (Tempest comes to mind). My buddies and I will probably set up shop there and then take the train over to the Stadium.

Anyone know if there's gonna be food/drink/game setup outside the stadium like at the Gold Cup Final last year? (apart from the usual tailgating)

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    5, 000 people in the USA supporters section would be a major coup.............

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    how much is NJT round trip from NY Penn ??

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like $10.50.

11. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically...From Penn Station to Secaucus junction...From there to the Meadowlands...Gotcha.

At what time does the service start running?

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure exactly when is starts. I went to their website: http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

and in the upper left hand corner put in a search for:

Travel from: New York Penn
    Travel to: Meadowlands (stadium events)
    Depart at: 08/10/2010 at 05:00 PM
    Using: Rail

and got a list of train times. Check it out.

13. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    from the New Meadowlands page on getting there via public transit:

"Rail service to the New Meadowlands Stadium is available on Select events and all NFL Games. Trains begin running 3 hours before event time and continue to run 2 hours after the event's end."

14. Mibabalou

Mibabalou Member

Dec 7, 2009
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent bought AO tickets yet, and i wanna go to this game, but $70 is a lot for a poor college kid. So i was thinking could i buy the shitty $40 seats and just go sit with AO or is this a terrible idea?

I know if only a few people do this, since its GA it wont matter, but if we got an extra 100 people that would be a lot of bodies in an area ment for less people.

Ive been to a bunch of games with AO before, but price was never an issue before.

15. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

i think the $40 tickets are sold out. you can try for the $48 seats which come out to about $60 with ticketmaster fees

16. powatwain

powatwain New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Middletown, Nj
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is selling supporters ticket, I would be interested

Complicated story with buying from TM via, and I just got shut out when I went to the TM outlet by me.. The mall was open until 9:30, but their TM is only open to 7:00

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Sneaking inton the SA/AO section will be the trick.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per ussoccer.com: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...ing-the-US-MNT-Match-vs-Brazil-on-Aug-10.aspx
    • Do plan to arrive early. Parking lots open at 3 p.m. and the gates open at 6:30 p.m.
    • DO pay attention to the message boards en route to the stadium.
    • DO plan to carpool. Fewer cars on the road in will make everyone’s journey faster, especially as parking lots fill up.
    • DO NOT rely on GPS devices as routes may be adjusted and diverted to accommodate traffic congestion.
    • DO take public transportation. NJ Transit train service will run to and from the stadium from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m.
    Getting to the Stadium
    As a result of continuing improvements to the Meadowlands Sports Complex and surrounding roadways, traffic patterns and access to certain lots will be affected during this match. Please allow extra time for travel and parking.

Heavy traffic and congestion can be expected along the New Jersey Turnpike and Route 3. The heaviest traffic can be expected between 5-8 p.m. and at 10-11 p.m. following the match.

Guests are encouraged to use public transportation provided by the New Jersey Transit via bus or train which link through the Secaucus Junction. Please visit www.njtransit.com for stations and schedules using “Meadowlands Sports Complex” as the final destination.

For guests traveling on I-95, follow the western spur to exit 16W (Sports Complex).

For guests traveling south on the Garden State Parkway, exit Route 17 (exit 163) to Paterson Plank Road.

For guests traveling north on the Garden State Parkways, exit Route 3 (exit 153A) to the Sports Complex.

For guests traveling from the Lincoln or Holland tunnels, follow I-495 to Route 3 West.

19. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a straight shot that allows you to bypass the Seacaucus transfer, correct? Jersey is the wild west for me, I'd prefer to keep it simple.

20. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    wow parking lot open 5 hours prior to game start...for a friendly??? wow... well I live right in Rutherford, so I might just walk to the game..instead of paying parking.. walk in with a 24 pack on my head maybe

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I know of. From past experience and what I see on the web you have no choice but to change trains at Secaucus.

It's relatively painless though. They did the same thing for the Gold Cup Final and I found it to be much quicker and better organized than the bus system out of Port Authority.

Make sure you buy the right tickets and there are a bunch of NJT people helping out telling you which way to go. Trains are pretty quick to board, leave station, and roll up the next one too.

22. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJT tickets are sold at those little ticket machines in Penn Station, right? :D

23. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. It can be a little confusing the first time cause of all the options.

The first time I used that machine I had 20 people behind me running late and screaming at me while I was trying to figure the whole thing out.

Stand next to someone else in line who's going to the game and ask them for help if you need...and of course there are always NJT authorities to help as well. Trust me there will be hundreds of other people trying to figure it out as well. There may even be a serpate machine that only sells meadowlands round trip tickets and has a private attendant. They did that for the Gold Cup final if I recall.

Point being: It won't be a problem to use the train. Trust.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    56, 000 tickets sold with the game a few days away. hmmmmm....................

25. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either the USSF is run by a bunch of idiots or the meadowlands are a bunch of pricks...or both...I vote both.