Travel/Tickets: USA versus Argentina in New York, 3/26/2011

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by GOREVS3000, Nov 24, 2010.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    He was at the game.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704425804576221041283711846.html

The ticket revenue at a soccer game is more than at a concert, but not what it would be for a football game because of lower ticket prices. Still, with seats ranging from $45 to $325 for Saturday's game, Cardenas said he can command higher prices for soccer in the New York-metro area than anywhere else. He guessed that the ticket revenue alone from Saturday's game would be $5 million.

While New Meadowlands Stadium will be the promoter for some games, the cost of staging this particular game falls to Cardenas. He said he paid a rental fee of roughly $600,000 to New Meadowlands Stadium, which includes wages to the game-day event staff, and paid to put in the grass field over the stadium's Field Turf, which runs about $200,000. Advertising and promotion are his responsibility. He keeps the ticket revenue and the New Meadowlands Stadium Company takes the parking and concession fees.

Lamping said the money generated by the event is secondary to the "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see this type of competition and to see Lionel Messi," the world's highest-paid footballer. And, of course, to forge recognition as a soccer mecca.

3. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Kirwin. Our bus got there late so I had a limited time at the tailgate and had to set up a bunch of the banners.

4. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love getting home at 1am , when the game ends at 9:30pm and I live 12 miles away..Took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to get from the parking lot to the tollbooth. Once through the tolls , it took 15 minutes to get to 33rd street and 5th Ave. That stadium blows, only place I've been to that has a line to get OUT of the bathroom . Great job njsea

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK so our 45 min circle around the stadium to get on turnpike going south wasn't so bad then (but our bus waited in the lot like 40 min after game ended before getting in line).

Worst exit from a game I ever had was 2002 MLS Cup at Gillette. Took us 3 hrs to get out of the parking lot (missed plane back to DC, had to fly next am).

K

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    took the train....after the match i went down on the field for 15 minutes or so. then went to wait in the train line. it looked bad but mainly moved. waited maybe 30 minutes or so to get on a train to secaucus

7. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: 3 hours to get out of the lot. OK, I won't complain as much now

8. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What time did you get back to NYC ?

9. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    got to penn station around 10.45 or so.....walked up to my apartment rather than sit on another train.

the one thing i dont get is....why not make the train from the meadowlands continue on to nyc? switching at secaucus was a pain in the ass both ways

10. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad ..ok

I don't know why either..you have s HUGE stadium..an arena for concerts and horse racing every night

11. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    yeah, it was surprisingly not terrible. the lines to get to the train were a big mess of people but they were moving decently. when i got to secaucus i JUST caught the NYC train when it was about to leave. overall, not terrible but certainly not as easy as the one and done train to go to RBA

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    We left the parking lot (K) @ 12:30....... there were still people waiting for the bus @ 12:15 in the cold. yikes.