Travel/Tickets: USA versus Antigua/Barbuda on some island 10/12/2012

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by LiverAndPineapple, Nov 11, 2011.

1. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I want to go, you travel geeks need to tell me if it's a pipe dream.

2. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: We're going to Antigua!!...and Barbuda?

Looks doable, but not cheap. I've been looking at doing this and I am getting prices of around $700 per person for the round trip flight (out of Miami, gonna be more for just about everyone else) and around $100 per night for the hotel, could be more depending on where you stay. The good news is Antigua is tiny; you could walk to the stadium from just about anywhere on the island. You probably wouldn't, but you COULD.

I am assuming the game would be played at the Stanford Cricket Ground, which is right next to the airport on the NE corner of the island. I don't know if there is another possibility.

Now, someone help me make this seem a perfectly reasonable idea to the wife. She's a pretty hardcore Nats fan, which helps :D

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the flights I saw from the Twin Citeis, I'm looking at a 12+ hour layover somewhere (Newark, Miami, San Juan) but it looks doable.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only non stops from the US are Newark and Miami in the summer. The Newark flight leaves early in the morning so any connection there would require on overnight. Accommodation on the island looks pricey. A couple 3 stars for ~$150 and up to $1000 in June during the offseason.

5. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

not a pipe dream at all...easy trip and you can make a nice beach trip out of it too

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

just show her some pictures of the beaches in Antigua....

7. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

way too early to know what airline schedules will be like as the match will be played sometime between June and November

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed, but new airline routes don't just appear over night.

9. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

agreed. i definitely wouldnt expect any new routes to ANU to appear but the schedules and prices will change drastically. the 12 hour layovers that someone now sees will probably disappear

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed, and I would not advise anybody to buy their tickets or reserve their hotels now.

I however, was just sharing information that I had found about the place considering that my knowledge beforehand had been, Antigua exists, and it has offshore gambling website, lax banking laws and murders British tourists.

Flight schedules can and do change, but June is not that far off in the airline business. Huge changes won't be expected.

11. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am interested in checking out Antigua, but the trip might be too spendy for my budget. I will have a better decision when the WC dates is set.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schedule is set, the away game will be in October, which is sort of the borderline beginning of the tourist season there. It's kind of a perfect time to visit.

13. MiamiSoccer72

MiamiSoccer72 Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl USA

I have never been to a road USMNT game. Will it be difficult to get tickets to a game like this? I was just talking with the GF about a soccer trip. She rolled her eyes until I mentioned where it was :)

14. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Game is 10/12/2012. Looks like $800 R/T is the average airfare at the moment.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you'll be able to find a round trip ticket somewhere between $500-$800 depending on where you're coming from.

Pretty steep unless you're gonna make a "real" vacation out of it.

16. CrooklynBlue

CrooklynBlue New Member

Oct 3, 2008

Looks like there's an 8 AM flight out of Newark on United/Continental the morning of the game (Oct 12). Gets in at 1:10 PM. Alas, you can't search for anything coming home beyond then. But I'm in. The missus loves the idea of a beach vacation during the fall. Hopefully no hurricanes!

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

tickets will be easy to get, either through USSF or just buying from the Antiguans

would expect that to drop by a few hundred, depending upon where you are coming from

definitely a lot for just the match, but the Antigua beaches are supposed to be great so if you can make a nice vacation out of it, could be worth it

AA has similar scheduling for its JFK-ANU flight, could be the start of a nice trip!

18. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Airfares aren't cheap from Seattle. I was hoping to spend $500 for the entire vacation. I got slapped with reality.

19. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at a going from Baltimore on 10/9 and returning 10/14; staying at Jolly Harbour. It's all inclusive and not far from town. Around $1200 with airfare for double occupancy.

21. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! Thank you for the research.

22. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem, keep me in the loop, if you don't mind staying with a SoB. ;)

Others from Philly have talked about a Jamaica trip, but I think playing in Antigua is such a one time thing, that I have to go.

23. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's definitely about 5-10 of us AODC that are talking about going to this one...we've been seeing similar prices for airfare though.

24. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will contact you when I get my ticket. You are right, Antigua is a 1 time thing. I am working a 2nd job to justify this trip.

25. reddog694

reddog694 Member

Jun 1, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm considering going with at least 2 other people from NYC. We're thinking of making a whole week out of it. Please let me know where people are staying once they've confirmed the trip. It'd be cool to stay amongst other USA fans.