Travel/Tickets: USA v Czech 5/25 in East Hartford

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by FoxBoro 143, Mar 3, 2010.

1. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rent is a great place to see a game. There were a million places to go to the bathroom, and if the line was too long, step out to to the port a potties outside.

I was in the supporters section, and the pylons didn't affect me at all.

I was surprised about the no drums, they have allowed it multiple times before.

Do you really need a flagpole?

Parking is a bit of a pain, but just hang out before and after the game and take in the atmosphere. The parking problems aren't noticeable if you do that.

2. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really really sicken me. Parking? Get there early. Anyone who ever complains about parking is always just not smart enough to figure out how to park successfully. No beer holders on the seats? Are you kidding?

It was a perfect night last night. Only problems were on the field.

3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Hartford for a game!
    1. Arrive earlier. I arrived around 6 and had no problem. Getting out was easy, just waited 30 mins after to leave and was on 84 in 5 mins
    2. Oh well miss communication--actually didn't mind not having drums
    3. No opinion on this
    4. I was in the supporters section and had no problem seeing the field.
    5. If you are worried about overpriced beer then drink more outside
    6. Bathrooms were easy on the opposite side of the supporters section
    7. I love bleachers and miss them from old Foxboro. Really CUP HOLDERS, wow!

US Soccer should only play friendly's in larger stadiums. All WCQ should be held in small stadiums including Hartford.

Hartford is a great venue imho.

4. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am writing the Association so they might send us the full squad after the cup :) give us a better showing.

yeah that's basically it I was hoping the best players would at least dress, but as a coach, bob did the right thing.

The field looked great in every possible way, and seriously it was 90%+++ US supporters, how can you beat that?

as stated earlier the only problem was on the field.

I bought 2 beers inside and never felt the urge to put mine down. my seat did have a cup holder though, they just cost more. and I abandoned the seat for section 109 anyways.

the curved bleachers were a challenge to stand on after all the tailgating but really that's just part of the fun.

funny thing, talking to a co-worker today and the "streaker" was seated right behind her kept standing on her sons seat.

great memories made my friends

5. GOBCU

GOBCU New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the most pro-US crowd ive seen in the Northeast, and the stadium looked like it was at capacity

AO Hartford were great hosts too... put on one helluva tailgate
    Hartford had lots of great bars downtown

Only complaint was the drums too, but oh well, didnt ruin my night

6. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  7. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I arrived at the game at about five and my father left work in Farmington at 7:05 and didn't get into the game until about 8:45. It took us until 11:45 to get out of the parking lot because he parked so far away from the exits (but we got "home" at 12:10).

8. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lot 9 tailgate; was awesome.

9. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've followed the team since after the 2006 WC. My first game was a long time coming.

I bought my tickets fairly early and had no idea I would be sitting right next to the supporter's section. It was my first game and it was a wild experience. A few friends and I came down from college (Vermont). They are a little less crazy about the sport than I am, but I think overall we all enjoyed the atmosphere. None of us expected the stadium to be so packed! While I think the uber-patriotism made my friends a little uncomfortable, I loved the atmosphere and sang along to AO's chants.

Just a few pet peeves. The intercom was impossible to hear. Took me like 20 minutes to figure out who Bob sent out to play (a visual lineup on the giant screen would have been useful). Because I was smothered in the giant flag after each goal it took me a few minutes to piece together who actually scored. :cool: One more thing: the person sitting next to me screaming at John Oliver for the last 30 minutes of the game was a little annoying.

Oh, and who threw the glass bottle at Cech? I always complain to my friends about Mexico's fans so I lost some face that night.

Other than that, awesome experience!

10. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I was not happy with the bottle or the streaker; it did prove to me that we are slowly becomming a soccer culture although one that needs to mature a little.

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's right though. It's fine for you to get there early since you live right there but I left work early, got on to the Main Street by 7pm. Plenty of time I thought. We got to our seats 10 minutes after the game started. It shouldn't take an hour to park.

After the game, we couldn't cross the street to get to the parking lot. The ushers and police were quite obnoxious when I asked them if they could stop the traffic to let the hundreds of fans waiting. Eventually a few fans just started walking across anyway and the crowd followed stopping the oncoming traffic. It was quite comical to see the ushers running after some guys who already had passed over.

Listen it's a fine stadium but the parking and crowd control was very poorly managed.

12. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard great things about AO DC's pregame festivities but I couldn't attend that game. I've been to matches in Philly, Columbus, NJ, Chicago, and of course the tailgate and fun we hosted here in Boston.

AO Hartford are by FAR the best hosts I have had for a US game. Very thoughtful to put together the bar crawl, the hotel discount and a great tailgate.

Great work Shawn and Mike. The bar has been raised. On to Philly!

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    pictures or video from the event?

3 hours from NYC and 3 hours back to NYC. F I-91 and I-95.

14. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got some stuff coming.

15. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most everything I got was blurry, or drunken crooked.

my best shots are from the pub crawl.

I gotta say it was nice to have everyone in town. i had literally a dozen people ask me where they could get a kit in town. some had tried buckland and dicks/sports authority out that way and so I sent them to farmington.

I gotta say we could have done better in some regards.

the traffic was apparently an issue it seems like. I had no problems at all, and we arrived at maybe 415-430 since we had to head to another outlaws hotel first.

we drove down silver lane from east river drive. I think being local helped because the highway was likely busier. and leaving we just drove again down silver lane to 384, then turned west and got home pretty quick.

I think the biggest problem is that people think its ok to meet at the stadium and each take their own car. maybe if parking was steeper people would ditch cars and carpool.

better yet I support a light rail like a trolly connecting West Hartford Center to Downtown, and on to the Stadium. this would help the most. and when the stadium is expanded in a few years would help support that.

also there is a plan for a road heading south from the stadium. not sure what it will do but it will have more development around it.

anyways.....

next time we will have to close pratt, and maybe the Asylum St surface lot and bring some bands in. AO-Polluza with busses to and from the stadium.

cheers!

16. Redmen Rule

Redmen Rule Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 16, 2004
    Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding your last paragraph, that was all done for the Latvia game and worked wonderfully.
    Check with the Vaughn's people in the future.
    I know they wanted to do it again this past week.

17. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where in Farmington? I'm actually going to be doing a fundraiser in Simsbury the morning of the England game, and if I can change from a sweaty t-shirt into a US shirt, that would be awesome :)

(And I got to the stadium by the Hartford 83 bus, which drops you off right at the entrance to the Rent but doesn't run after 8 pm.)

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Obviously, you made it home! How?
    We got stuck in a 15-mile back-up for 2 hours on I-84 East, between miles 44 - 59, which was the exit. Took a while to exit the stadium afterwards, no back-ups on I-84 west. I heard I-91 south was congested.
    I never like driving in CT. Seems like there's always delays.
    Fortunately, no usher at the top of the Supporter's section, so we were able to walk in, even though our tickets were upstairs. Everyone fit in.
    Smoke was not helpful. Obviously, people should not be throwing things onto the field. I saw one photog get hit in the shoulder by what looked like a bottle.

19. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bus was running after the game, saw plenty of people waiting for it at the stop. It stops at 10:30 at believe, definitely not 8pm. I took the bus in, but hitched a ride back with a friend. He parked on someone's lawn for $10 and we were out in a minute.

20. Nevada Eagle

Nevada Eagle Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from Philly last night. Thanks again to the Hartford chapter for a great time there. Mike and Shawn did a great job organizing. And thanks for the stop at the hotel Brian and Mike, saved me a walk. Gotta stay sober longer.

21. rustynation

rustynation New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See above - my father left work in Farmington at 7:05 and had to park so far away from the stadium that he got into the stadium after 8:30 and it took us 1:45 to get out of the parking lot.

I just checked the 83 schedule and I guess there were buses after the game.

22. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the ride was no problem(brian is good like that), it was great to meet you and was a damn fine time!

Cheers!

23. SeminoleAJ

SeminoleAJ New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At least you didn't attempt to hitch a ride back from the field to downtown like the S.D. crew, my buddies and I tried to do.

Luckily we found a cab after walking about a mile up towards the interstate.

24. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got there early and had no traffic problems obviously....I left about 20-25 minutes after the game and ran into very little traffic from lot 9. Got to Springfield in under 45

25. Howie Carr

Howie Carr New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    West Hartford, CT
    AO Hartford,

AO Hartford Meet and Greet Happy Hour!

The American Outlaws Hartford Chapter will be hosting a "meet and greet" This coming Thursday at our home pub "Damon's" from 6-8Pm, located at 331 Prospect St. in Hartford. The facebook invite is here.

The usual happy hour will still happen from 3-6PM and will be immediately followed by the Outlaws first non game related get together from 6-8PM. Before the cup officially begins lets get together to hang out, shoot the shit, have a few drinks, hell maybe sing a few songs. We are currently tied for 1st place in our group, what else do you need to celebrate? As a chapter in a city without MLS games to bring us together each week, lets face it, we barely know each other. Get together's like this will pull this group together, and keep us together well after the winner is decided in South Africa.

Special thanks to Micah Kerr for organizing the happy hour.

World Cup Viewing Parties!

In 5 days, the US will play England in the opening match of Group C at the 2010 World Cup. Come watch it with AO Hartford at Damon's Tavern, the official bar of AO Hartford.

Damon's Tavern will be open and offering drink and food specials for not just the U.S. games, but for all the World Cup games this summer! These specials include...

$2 Bud pints
    $2 Bud Light Pints
    $2 Coors Light Pints
    $4 Guinness Imperial Pints (make sure it says imperial)
    Breakfast for the morning games

All are welcome to join AO Hartford at these viewing parties.

US v England, June 12 at 1:30 pm

US v Slovenia, June 18 at 9 am

US v Algeria, June 23 at 9 am

We look forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!