Transport at Euro 2016

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Timanfaya, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  2. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    (The link above has disappeared. Nice. Anyway...)

SNCF also run a cheapo no-frills TGV service called Ouigo (www.ouigo.com)

They operate limited routes and from some strange stations, such as Tourcoing in/near Lille (accessible on the Lille metro nonetheless), and often at odd times, but tickets start at €10 so they just might be worth a quick peep to see if they can help with your plans. They are particularly worth a mention because tickets are available 6 months ahead, so you can book now.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouigo

DJGrizzlyPaws repped this.
  3. jim77

jim77 New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    edmonton canada
  4. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SNCF are currently running a special where it only costs 25 Euros in July to take a TGV to the south of France from Paris. This is especially useful if you are going to the semi-final in Marseille and leaving from Paris. Return trains are pretty cheap too right now.

5. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Please note only specific countries credit cards are accepted this is from their website in the fine print

Here is the complete list of countries for which payment by credit card is allowed:

Andorra (Andorra), Austria (Austria), Belgium (Belgium), Cyprus (Cyprus), Czech Republic (Czech Republic), Denmark (Denmark), Estonia (Estonia), Finland (Finland), France, Metropolitan France, French Guiana ( French Guiana), Pluynésie (French Polynesia), Southern and Antarctic Territories (French Southern Territries), Germany (Germany), Greece (Greece), Guadeloupe, Hungary (Hungary), Ireland (Ireland), Italy (Italy), Kosovo, Latvia (Latvia), Lichtenchtein, Lithuania (Lithuania), Luxembourg, Malta (Malta), Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands (Netherlands), New Caledonia (New Caledonia), Plogne (Poland), Portugal, Slovakia (Slovakia) Slovenia (Slovenia), Spain (Spain), St Pierre and Miquelon, Sweden (Sweden), Switzerland (Switzerland), the UK (United Kingdom) and the USA (United States).

6. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  7. Drunkenbeermice

Drunkenbeermice New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Edmonton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    FWIW, if your credit card gets blocked trying to make an iDTGV booking from overseas, there is a workaround. I was able to book iDTGV tickets using a Canadian credit card, it just takes a bit more work. Once you try the transaction and it fails, send them an email directly from the website stating your payment request was blocked, what date and route you were trying to book, and the last 4 digits of the credit card you were trying to use for the booking. I got an email back within 24 hours telling me I could try the transaction again and it worked no problem!

Managed a 19 Euro ticket Paris to Toulouse! Paid 34 Euro Marseille to Paris.

Check out seat61.com for some fantastic info on train travel in France...

Stuckin1au repped this.
  8. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Does anyone know if the France Rail Pass (https://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets-passes/france-pass/index.html) will be available for use during the tournament.
    I'm going for 2 weeks, and will be travelling between, Paris, lyon, Marseille, St. Etienne and Nice, and
    saw the price is $384 for 15-days. Just wondering if that is all inclusive of fees? Like do I just pay that
    price and I'm able to hope on any train I want anytime (in 2nd class) ??

9. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will check this out when I'm home but I believe TGV requires seat reservations. If you are under 25 like me, I'd recommend getting la Carte Jeune which is 50 euros but gives you discounted fares on trips.

guignol repped this.
  10. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Ok, ya it looks like i have to pay an extra $11 or so charge for that reservation (paris>marseille)
    I'm over the age of 25 however, so no discount for me.

11. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like any TGV or overnight trip of yours will requires a reservation

First, be mindful that some trains (such as many high speed and night trains) require travelers with a rail pass to purchase reservations at an additional cost. Make sure to read our detailed article on the subject.

12. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yep. Gonna have to be extra careful to figure out all my train trips over the 2 weeks.
    Kinda sucks for 9pm games, I'll pretty much have to use up 2 days of the rail pass (1 day to get their, and then another day for a train that leaves after midnight)

Figuring out what will be the cheaper option (buying all trips seperatly, or buying the rail pass) is going to be quite the chore haha

13. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    P to the Wee repped this.
  14. jim77

jim77 New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    edmonton canada
    djcuse,
    I had the same thought on the pass and emailed the provider for an answer,
    this is part of the reply,

Dear Jim Wallace,
    Thank you for contacting Rail Europe. I am happy to assist you today, Jim.
    Yes, the France Rail Pass will be valid during the Euro 2016 Finals. I highly recommend you purchase seat reservations for use with the rail pass as soon as you are able to.
    Your railpass allows you to travel on the rail networks of the countries covered by the pass you purchase. It does not guarantee you a seat reservation, sleeper, or couchette. To make sure you get the accommodations you desire, you must purchase a reservation. You can do this online at http://www.raileurope.com, selecting your country of residence, and clicking "Book your Rail Pass Reservations" on the home page.
    Please note that the number of seats available at the special passholder fare is limited. Advance booking is highly recommended.

the rest of the reply was about marketing. :)

I am trying to figure out if the economics of the pass would be enough to purchase it, really depends on how many trips I need and the cost thereof.
    the longer the trip the more beneficial the pass could be.
    almost all for me would be back and forth from lille to paris.
    another factor is the reservation cost, is it a large part of a ticket?
    would it be cheaper to buy tickets separately with a reservation cost included versus the cost of the pass plus reservation cost?
    would we find that the limited number of seats for a passholder are filled too fast?
    lots of questions to consider. :)

the provider also currently has a discount offer on until march for the france pass.

hope this helps.

P to the Wee repped this.
  15. djcuse

djcuse Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Thanks Jim..

I saw the 20% off sale. I'm going to be doing alot of travel, I was playing around on the website
    and on 90% of the routes i don't need to pay extra for a reservation. But ya, the main thing will be trying
    to figure out how much individual tickets will costs as compared to just an all-inclusive pass.

16. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    For an alternative option to trains, you might want to consider travelling by coach. I've just booked a return coach Nice - Marseille through ouibus.com and it was very easy and very cheap. The coaches look very comfortable with WiFi, plug sockets etc. €18 return for a 2.5hr coach journey seems like a very good deal to me!

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    good idea especially for shorter distances. worth pointing out that ouibus is run by the SNCF itself.

18. henriology

henriology Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    OUIBUS is especially good for Marseille to Nice because TGV runs at a slower speed between these two cities so won't be a big difference in duration

19. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How much time in advance should I be getting to the train station before depature?

20. Stu_Lee

Stu_Lee Member

Feb 5, 2014
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Found some helpful info here regarding train travel in France. Including helping you decide if you should get a rail pass... how the TGV reservations work, and also ways to lock in cheaper tickets if you can commit to dates & times in advance.... I actually started buying some tickets today because I figured out it would be cheaper than getting a rail pass...
    https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/france-rail-passes

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably a minimum of 10 minutes, just to give you a chance to find the platform and get there, if it's a big station.

Allow more if you need to buy a ticket. If you are using TGVs, it's best to book in advance, as you need a seat reservation.

22. kaczka

kaczka Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Edmonton, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I heard from a friend, 2 hours before a train leaves is safe, due to the upgraded security etc. ? That's very different from 10 minutes!

23. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    :eek:

It's a local train station, not an international airport.

guignol repped this.
  24. db1709

db1709 Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I highly doubt 2 hours....maybe allow a few extra minutes.

I've allowed nearly 2 hours from the Parc des Princes for Turkey vs Croatia to get to Gare Du Nord to catch the train to Lille for Germany vs Ukraine, which is double what it should take to get there. If it's 2 hours, then I'm stuffed haha.

25. henriology

henriology Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Club:
    Shanghai Shenhua
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    General information just in case anyone needs it: If you have fixed travel plan you'd better buy train tickets now...it opens 92 days in advance so you can buy tickets up to June 15 today. The fare gets much more expensive if you wait.