Translating Literature

Discussion in 'Books' started by GringoTex, Mar 10, 2003.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just finished the new translation of Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina." I loved it. When I read an older translation about seven years ago, I didn't think much of it.

Now part of my change-of-mind is probably due to the evolution of my own personal tastes, but I'm convinced it's mostly due to the translation.

It disturbs me that the translation of a novel can so determine my appreciation of it. Maybe "War And Peace" is better than the translation I read. Maybe "The Plague" is better than the translation I read. There's only one novel by Balzac I haven't liked ("Eugenie Gandet") and maybe it's the translation's fault. This is infuriating.

So...does anyone know enough about this stuff to recommend translations? Based on the new translation of "Anna Karenina," I THINK I can recommend Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. I just discovered they've also translated "Brothers Karamazov," one of my all-time favorites. I plan to check it out.

2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Two translators I've read a few times and always been very impressed with:

William Weaver - Italian to English
    Gregory Rabassa - Spanish to English

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translations make all the difference in the world as far as I'm concerned. When I read Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetralogy, the first two book were translated by one person and the third and fourth books each by different people. The first two were so much stronger and enjoyable than the second two. You could tell the stories in the latter novels were just as strong, but they lacked a certain something that made the suffer when compared to the other two.

The same can be said for film subtitles. I've seen both the Hong Kong and American versions of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the subtitles on the American version are vastly superior. I've also seen both the American and Hong Kong versions of Kurosawa's Yojimbo and the same is true.

A poor translation will render a work unenjoyable.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Simple solution is off course to read the works in their original language as much as possible. If you know French, English and German, you are already able to read a large portion of the worlds Great Literary Masterpieces. Off course then you still have the hundreds of other great books for which you will still have to depend on translations. Traductore Traditore indeed...

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks. Next question: what's a good Italian novel to read?

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm going off to learn Russian and French now.

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think it's a Weaver translation, but Ignazio Silone's Bread and Wine is pretty good, as is his Fontamara.

Then there's that Italo Calvino guy...

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well why not, learning a foreign language is never a waste of time...

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'll check it out. I've never read an Italian novel.

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I envy people who can become fluent in new languages as adults. I'm not one of them. And I'm bitter about that.

11. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Alessandro Manzoni
    Giovanni Verga
    Gabriele d’Annunzio
    Antonio Fogazzaro
    Italo Svevo
    Luigi Capuana
    Luigi Pirandello
    Alberto Moravia
    Eduardo De Filippo
    Dino Buzzati
    Carlo Emilio Gadda
    Cesare Pavese
    Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
    Giorgio Bassani
    Leonardo Sciascia
    Umberto Eco
    Carlo Cassola
    Ignazio Silone
    Grazia Deledda

(...)

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like Pavese.

13. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Gringo Tex, all the Russian translations I liked were by the same English woman from the later 1800's...whose name eludes me at the moment. She translated all the Dostoevsky I've read, and she translated some other Russians as well (but perhaps she's not as authorative a source with Tolstoy as she is with Dostoevsky). But from what you wrote I'm guessing she did the ones you read and didn't like. For some reason for old books (the only foreign language books I've read, really) I want an old translation.

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Gringo, IIR, you like some postmodern, fairly experimental stuff, don't you? If so, you definitely should read Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveller." Also Eco is very fun, especially "Name of the Rose." I think Weaver has translated both of those. He's been going back and doing older stuff more recently though.

15. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Giovanni Verga - Little Novels of Sicily: Stories
    Italo Svevo - Zeno's Conscience
    Luigi Pirandello - The Late Mattia Pascal
    Dino Buzzati - The Tartar Steppe
    Umberto Eco - Name of the rose
    Ignazio Silone - Fontamara
    Grazia Deledda - Reeds in the Wind
    Italo Calvino - If on a winter's night a traveler