Transfer Window Rumors

Discussion in 'Everton' started by mischaDCU, Oct 28, 2007.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Echo ...

SWP is out (probably to City).
    Mbia is probably out.
    One more big run being made at Moutinho though, since the money spent so far is low.

2. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Look what I just saw on the BBC gossip page:

Tottenham and Everton have both been linked with a move for 36-year-old former Celtic and Manchester United striker Henrik Larsson, whose Helsingborg contract is due to expire in November. (Daily Mail, 2356 BST)

Wow. Larsson is one of my all-time favorite players, and he certainly did well on his loan spell with ManU. But at 36...? We'd never be able to beat out Spurs for him anyway. Interesting rumor, tho, eh?

3. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yak
    Vaughan
    Anichebe

Possibly Obinna

Now Larsson?

I like Larsson and think he could help out but we need at least one if not two more midfielders, preferable both attacking.

4. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    There's still the Zigic rumor too, isn't there?

5. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=567264&sec=england&cc=5901

6. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    awww you didnt' let me start another thread with a stupid title :(

yay! we are at 3 signings! with 3 days left to go! :D *does a little dance* It's the Everton way apparently.

so is this saha any good?

7. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Yeah, he's good. Lots of goals for Fulham, French intl, did very well at ManU early on and between injury spells became the first choice striking partner for Rooney over both RVN and Tevez at times.

Big issue is his injury problems. If he can stay healthy, he'll be great.

8. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    If you lot can keep him fit, you've just got a hell of a player. Amazing #9, links well and finish's superbly. If he could've stayed fit, he would've been a starter for us undoubtedly. Best of luck with him!

9. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm not sure about this signing. The fee is 'undisclosed' but I've seen reports of it being near 10 million. I'd rather we put that to areas of greater need, like the midfield, instead of another striker. I guess you can never have too many good goalscorers, but I would rather our limited resources go to midfield, particularly for wide players.

Perhaps this indicates a greater willingness of David to play with 2 strikers. If we are going to continue to play with 1 striker this seems like a lot to pay for someone who will primarily be injury cover. I guess we shall see what the future brings.

10. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    moyes said we got him on a free didn't he? or am i mixing up with player he was talking about? i could be.

if we got him on a free, and he stays healthy, by all accounts he'll be better than AJ, i'ma give him benefit of the doubt to start.

COYB

11. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    I don't think Saha is coming on a free. I'll try to find where I read the guesses at the fee and post a quote. Watch this space for more info.

12. Jondi10

Jondi10 Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think Man U would let anyone go on a free. Someone said 10 mil but I don't think we would pay that much for him considering the injury issues he's had. I don't think Moyes is will to pay that much for someone who could join our list of injuries. I'd say we spent between 5-7 mil.

13. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    Just read on NSNO where they are quoting David Moyes as saying that Louis Saha will cost us no money this year. Not exactly a free transfer, but perhaps deferred payments. Hmmm.

And this sentence from a Toffeeweb story. "The United frontman moves to Everton for what is officially an undisclosed fee but is being reported as effectively a free transfer."

So I would like to amend my earlier comment. If he is free, or close to it, then great. We are not spending too much of our limited resources here, so I like it a lot better.

14. HogDaddy

HogDaddy Member

Mar 27, 2001
    St. Charles, MO
    If the Saha and Obinna deals go thru, we will be a bit top heavy with strikers. Yak, Saha, Obinna, Vaughan, Anichebe as well as youngsters Jutkiewicz and Baxter.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confident that Moyes would have structured the deal with United so that we'd pay based on appearances and other incentives.

With Saha's injury track record, nobody would have paid an upfront transfer fee for him.

I think we're only out of pocket on his wages and who knows if those were negotiated down or not?

16. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    knowing saha, 1 striker is still the best bet.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Seems like we will pay according to how many games and goals he scores. Not a bad deal if true :)

I hope this means we will make a real move for a quality player. Moyes has really done it again with these small fee deals :D I just hope they're not the last ones.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He was played over Ruud because his style of play linked with the rest of our attacking players better and gave the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney more freedom to operate. He only started over Tevez at times because the latter was struggling for fitness last season (after missing pre-season and having had no extended break for years due to a variety of summer tournaments).

Aside from the bolded part you are correct.

19. Bluepaul

Bluepaul New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Preston
    he IS a superb finisher have you ever seen Saha play he's a top finisher with bags of goals left in him and if he can keep fit he will be a force with yak upfront.

20. Insane111

Insane111 New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Since he's a United fan, I'd guess that he's seen Saha play a couple of times.

And he's not the best finisher you're ever going to see. Ask any United fan. He CAN finish well, but expect him to do it consistently and you'll be disappointed. He's the type of player that if he's through 1 on 1, you're expecting him to miss. Then when you think he's got no chance of getting it in another occassion, he'll score. Can be quite frustrating but adds a lot to the team. He was one of my favourite players during the first half of 06/07, sadly injuries derailed him again, but he's a very very good player.

Funnily enough, some people think his problem is a mental one rather than physical, and he couldn't always cope with the demands that come with being the spearhead of a team expected to win every game at home and abroad. No disrespect meant to Everton here in any way, but being at a club such as yours may help him in that regard, some of the pressure will be lifted and who knows, he could give you close to a season of top quality. Wish him all the best.

That said, is this the longest medical ever partaken, or are they just being lazy in completing the paperwork?

21. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    The transfer window just closed, yeah? No more players then, I guess...did Saha even go through officially?

This is not great news...

22. JustinC83

JustinC83 Member

Aug 10, 2006
    nope, the EPL extended it. So every deal would have to be in by 11:59 on Sept 1st.

Instead of August 31st. hence why you havent seen deals today.

23. mischaDCU

mischaDCU New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    Oh. Sweet!

24. Jondi10

Jondi10 Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to The Sun we're suppose to be signing Alan Smith for 3 mil and Marouane Fellaini for 11+ tomorrow.

25. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE