Transfer thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whill4 repped this.
  2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I think this guy is out of his mind. Because he is actually arguing that Juve would be better off selling Dybala and buying 2-4 other players. MC are better off selling De Bruyne and buying other players. Is Napoli really better if the sell Insigne, doubt it.

The problem with this logic is that it's either a never ending cycle of selling of your best players or being fairly average. Lets just say Under and Cristante explode and we get offers of 100mil and 75 mil respectively. Under that authors logic we would be obligated sell them and buy 5-6 average players. I see this as nothing more than a never ending cycle of mediocrity with no real chance to every win anything.

In simplistic terms this goes back to what I said earlier; are you better off buying quantity over quality. I say no. We have seen in the past when teams come into a large amount of money they spend it on 8 players and it usually doesn't end well.

Roma are who we are, I understand and accept that. We will never be perennial contenders no matter what we do because we will never have that kind of revenue. Roma need to build a squad of young players and let them develop, tweaking and adding players along the way all the while living within your budget. Once you have a core group of individuals that have developed together that can contend you spend the next 2-3 years living above your means doing your best to get that scudetto. After that, you sell off to balance your books and start over.

Personally, I would rather spend 2-5 years in mid-table hell knowing that once we build that core group we'll make a real attempt to challenge for the scudetto. Under this philosophy we are aiming for nothing more than a top 4 finish every year.

romanista8910 repped this.
  3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the authors analogy at the end...
    "As for the trouble they are experiencing now, it's like your feet hurting when you walk, it only happens when you're going places"

... or when you get them blown off by an IED

4. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I keep hearing about how Roma are planning for the future, which is nonsense. The only future we are planning for is Liverpool's, we are a feeder club with very low ambition tbh, which is a shame for a great club like this with so much potential to reach great heights, if only our dim wit owners would realize it.

5. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It doesn't matter what the club's "potential" is when our revenues are nowhere near those of the clubs we've been selling to while UEFA is breathing down our necks with FFP. We were in a massive shithole when the Americans stepped in, remember? Now we are regularly in CL and in Top 4 contention in Serie A. Yet some just like to see things at face value and say things like "this isn't how you build a winning team", "the owners are dumb".

What exactly should our owners realize? I'll tell you what they have realized - that this club needs to increase its revenue stream greatly before we can even think about challenging the stronger clubs. A new stadium would be a big step towards that, but you can thank the Italian bureaucracy for all that mess with the delays.

La Magica, decola, Oban14 and 4 others repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question. I've read in different threads that EDF gave a 'yes' or 'no' on player transfers. Where did people see this? I've read that Monchi consulted EDF but I never read that EDF had veto power on any move.

There is a world of difference between giving your opinion and actual veto power on moves and honestly, I can't see Monchi or JP letting the coach being the final arbiter on all transfers.

7. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Well Jimmy is from Boston and familiar with how those teams have success and failures.

The best run team in American sports the last 20 or so years is the New England Patriots. The head coach has the say in player personal. He has hits hits and his misses. Sometimes he misses spectacularly but when he misses he made a poor evaluation on a player to fit into his system (often mental) but he rarely, if ever, is in a position trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

He would also remember that Theo Epstein’s advanced analytics moneyball approach fails to take the humanity into account and some people may be great for provincial clubs but struggle under the intense scrutiny of playing in certain markets.

I would hope he also took notice of what Brad Stevens was able to achieve last season with his two starters missing all and half of the season and playoffs off of the strength of his coaching ability and flexibility in tactics. EDF hasn’t shown this yet.

8. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma

We were regular participants in the champions league before the yanks took over, and with a weaker squad and spending power too. It makes no sense to sell your best players every season only to replace them with huge gambles , like Pastore for example.

9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  10. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    dude, we were only in the CL because of Calciopoli, and we sold players every season, and we bought old garbage every summer, give me a break with this shit

Haakon24, TifosoRoma, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  11. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Doesn't seem like so much has changed then so

12. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We’re not in crippling debt praying for someone to buy us?

Our summer signings aren’t Adriano on a free and begging Inter to loan us their reserve CB?

How long have you followed Roma for lol....

JoãozinhoFutebol and Shen-O repped this.
  13. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Too long I think :laugh:

14. kune

kune Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Even though some people wanted to exile me to CDT for saying that Monchi completely ********ed up latest mercato.

Now it is plain obvious that I was right.

15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one here is that cruel.

16. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Damn, but those Moronchi and EDFlopchesco bandwagons are getting crowded. Leave a few places for the unaware newcomers, guys, they'll need em.

17. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ziyech instead of Pastore, someone like Keylor Navas instead of Olsen and the start of this season might have been very different.

Java65 repped this.
  18. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    With the best goalkeeper in the world our situation won't be any different. The team can't defend this season.

Seriously Pastore and Olsen are not the main problem we are having this season.

19. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    This place is becoming something pretty close, unfortunately.

muptonfish, Haakon24 and Moebek repped this.
  20. HeadBurn3r

HeadBurn3r Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Novi Pazar
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Monchi tried to cut the wage bill and keep quality of the team on the same level, he managed at first but failed at second. These kids might turn into good players but a team that’s shooting for CL spot and CL knockout phase cannot wait for kids to man up.

I am dissapointed at Monchi.

21. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Seriously. I used to enjoy reading opinions on here even when we were doing badly at least there was actual discussion. Now its 99% entitled whining and scapegoating.

22. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This season would of been different if we just sacrificed Allison and strootman.
    But I’m still waiting for a turn around not holding my breath though.

23. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Zeman era was worse.

I think meme-y frustration is really all we have at the moment to really discuss. The team is so broken that it's almost not even possible to talk much tactics wise. This is the most we've regressed since the American takeover, and definitely the worst we've looked starting a season.

24. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired

Your job is to be a mediator between Mr. Di Francesco and the locker room.

Yes, the players are beasts, they are bastards, but they respect me. I was like them, I know them well, I know their secret language from their looks to their words. I try to make myself useful. In the locker room, we now speak almost exclusively English. If you do not know it, you won’t understand shit.

An Italian club speaking exclusively english in the locker room. The Pallotta Effect.