Transfer Thread 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilanM

MilanM New Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Serbia
    Jan 2, 2019
    If a young German player(possible world class player in the future) says that his goal is to play in Bayern why would we bring those kind of players into our team? Should we develop German players for Bayern? Only 2 German players I would like to see in our team from BuLi are Havertz and Brandt,but I think both of them would rather go to Bayern. As for NTs craziest story was about ex Yugoslavia. They won qualification group in 1992,but due to country being thorn apart they didn't qualify. Denmark which was 2nd in their Q group automatically qualified for Euro 1992 and later they won the competition. Who knows what exYu team could do on that tournament and on tournaments that were coming,but I will leave that for another topic

2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It's another topic, but a Yugoslavia team would have been one of the favourites for the last 18 years. No doubt about it.

Young players say a lot of things, but Werner has no specific love for Bayern he wants to get to the top. Solksjaer was a Liverpool fan as a boy.

Just a year and a a year and a half ago Liverpool were a laughing stock in the transfer market. A laughing stock in the sense, they got rejected by every player they had to compete for.

In fact, they were often competing with us. They lost out on Gotze, Dahoud, Brandt, Werner, Mkhitaryan and previously on Willian, Salah, Zielinski and Chillwell. Many others too. They have yet to win a tournament, but they get to the CL final and everything has changed. Every single player wants to play for them.

It will be the same with Dortmund. Win the Bundesliga and make the CL semi-final then we will be competing with Bayern. Bayern will still be favourites, but we will have a chance. Effenberg is probably too old for Werner, to really look up to, but even he has already mentioned Dortmund possibly being the best move for him.

One thing I criticise Zorc and Watzke for is not realising the profile the club had after the CL final in 2013.

In fact I will go even further. Beat Tottenham with Sancho in the team and the English media will go out of their way to portray Dortmund as one of the giants of Europe.

3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brandt and Werner have no affinity for Bayern. It's a complete fallacy to think that German players all want to play for that club; at the very least they've never mentioned it. Research data on brand all point to BVB being the most popular club. The reason why Bayern make a lot more from commercial streams is because of their overall global presence. It isn't reflective of Germany.

Watzke has made it clear that selling players is a lucrative revenue stream for the club and that strategy will not change in the near future. As long as we are not selling 3 players in one window, or replacing Tuchels with Boszs we will be fine.

The biggest change we need is right at the top. We need to act, buy, sell and manage the club like a BL title contender and anything short of a 1/4 final CL should be unacceptable. Liverpool loses to City and they lose their minds. We lose to Fortuna and we are just looking forward to the next game as we just tied.

4. MilanM

MilanM New Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Serbia
    Jan 2, 2019
    I think Werner mentioned Bayern as only club he wants to go in Germany but he is not on that level yet. Not that exact words but that is the point. Bayern players like Kimmich are already pushing Havertz to sign for Bayern. I would love all of those 3 players to sign to BVB but reality is a bit different. If we get one of them that would be great since all of them are young. Getting 2 of them would be some serious business

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    There's nothing wrong with selling players at the right time. Mkhitaryan, Kagawa and Pulisic are all good transfers. The problem is when you lose key players, with no clear replacement. Even United as the clear 2nd best team in the world, the previous CL winners had to lose Ronaldo.

I do agree with some of the bolded. Now is the time to buy and get players like a top 8 European club. The money is there. Now is the time to go and get a proper Pulisic replacement even if it cost a little bit of money. Does anyone really think Pulisic will be flying into tackles to win away at Frankfurt and risk injuring himself before he joins Chelsea?

I disagree with the mentality though. These current players have a very good mentality and the squad is full of winners. In the loss against Liverpool, there were not enough fighters and winners in the team. Reus, Witsel and Delaney have the team fired up to win every game. It's the lack of quality rather than mentality that worries me. In fact I would say the Dortmund team is stronger and has more mentally tough players than the Liverpool one.
    Yes Werner wants to leave Leipzig to step up to the next level. He said he feels Bayern is the only club in Germany where he can do that, but that reasoning can quickly change. He wants to be playing regular CL football.

If Dortmund are Bundesliga champions and have just made the last 4 of the CL, then we meet his ambitions.

I am with you though, apart from Brandt it's extremely difficult to sign the other two, extremely difficult. That is why this season is so important. Football players and fans are very fickle. A great year and last seasons disaster will be forgotten. Dortmund will be the team to play for with young exciting players like Zagadou, Akanji, Diallo, Hakimi, Weigl, Dahoud and Sancho.

6. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Andy Moller is an enigma in negative sense. I don't know why, even as NT fan, he can make himself unlikeable. In modern time a bit like Wagner, but at least Moller backed it up with serious skill.

The match with MU, that was brilliant. Jurgen Kohler played like a man possessed, defending goals with tackle and another.

7. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I know that at the end of the day club need to look after their own interest. Even as a German football fanatic, I also fans of several non-German players. Up to this point, Javier Zanetti is my top non-German favorite. Then comes Totti, Sheva, Maldini. From bundesliga, Sammy Kuffour, Elber, Lizarazu, Pizzaro (when will this guy stop...).

I think it is naive to hope having 8 domestics players in starting line-up in today competitive environment. I don't think even Barca and Juve has 6 domestics in startup (I might be wrong here).

My point is, club as big in terms of financial and brand as BVB should able to have at least 4 domestic players. Reus already one, at least try to add another 3. I hope Dahoud could displace Delaney in ruckrunde, lets cross our fingers.

If we delve into the possibility for each position :
    GK - not possible, unless we could lure someone with much higher calibre than Burki, which means only Neuer and ter Stegen. Not gonna happen.
    CB - have to admit it, Akanji and Zagadou relatively still very very young for CB and already did great. Diallo a bit older but still young nevertheless. Not realistic. One more thing, I'm not a fan of Tah, I believe he is overrated. Torunarigha and Uduokhai should become better than him few years down the road
    RB - this is where the management need to look into domestic player first. Pisz might be great atm but he cannot sustain the same quality due to age. In bundesliga we have Da Costa, Klostermann. What if Hakimi being shifted to right side? Then one space open up on the left side.
    LB - Schmelzer is finished. If Hakimi being moved to right, means the position is ripe for domestic players. In bundesliga we have Mittelstadt, Schulz. For ******** sake even Schulz already a starter in NT, so why not him
    CM - I really put my hope in Dahoud. Even if he doesn't pans out, bundesliga still have Arne Meier, Serdar, Neuhaus, Maxi Eggestein etc.
    LM - Brandt? Werner? With Pulisic gone, the chance should be there
    RM - well no choice, leave it to Sancho
    AM - Reus
    CF - still thinking that Alcacer not the best choice, but whatingtever lets assume he fits the BVB system

So apart from Reus, one of the fullback starting position (not sure how long Pisz will play) is open for domestic player. One of the CM also open, be it Dahoud or somebody else. And the LM. There you go, it is quite possible to have 4 domestic players as starter.

I know above scenario has lots of variables, contract, price, player himself of preference and so on, but at least can the management look into German players first? If it doesn't pans out, then fine look for foreign alternatives. But the way the BVB management works atm, its seems that they don't even care at all. How come? I know it never being set on the stone but bundesliga club with history such as BVB should has some sort of conscience and fiduciary responsibility to help the German NT.

8. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The two players Dortmund should focus on moving forward are Da Costa (first) as a LP replacement and then Arne Meier who I see as the 2nd best German prospect behind Havertz.

9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insofar as BVB has any responsibility to German football, their job is to represent the Buli at the highest level in Europe and keep the league relevant. It's not their problem if they can't outbid megaclubs for the likes of Sané, ter Stegen, et al., and they should get more credit for producing Reus, Götze, (old) Sahin..., signing and developing guys like Weigl (who was sort of in the doghouse at 1860 of all places) and Dahoud, and bringing in international talents like the Poles, Auba, Kagawa, Pulisic, and Sancho. Making German football more relevant internationally is pretty important.

chewz and Scheherazade repped this.
  10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We are not getting Werner. He is going to cost around 70M and our management will not consent. You said the same about Havertz.

BVB bears absolutely no responsibility for developing German talent. Developing German talent and selling players at 500% profit are counter intuitive. I am against both but more so the former than the latter.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    What do you mean I said the same about Havertz?
    I am sadly sure we won't get Werner either, because there has been no link with him. We have tried for him in the past, but nothing at the moment. Liverpool and Bayern are the two clubs after him.

We have the potential to get Werner though. He won't go for anywhere close to 70million. He will have one year left in the summer and it's out there he will leave for £35 million pounds. The difficulty would be convincing him.

I have already said though, Havertz and Werner are long shots. Havertz in particular is really not needed at present or even in the summer.

It's Brandt, who has fallen off the radar of all top clubs. His stock is at his lowest and it's the time to get him. The problem is Dortmund are notoriously private about signings. It's the other clubs that leak things to the press and reveal who Dortmund are in for.

In the past it's been Liverpool and Tottenham leaking Dortmund targets. Gotze, Mkhitaryan, Dahoud were leaked 4/5 months before anything appeared in Germany by Liverpool and Tottenham.
    We will have to agree to disagree. I think all clubs have some responsibility to develop talent for the country and I am very happy when we sell players like Pulisic for huge profits.

12. MilanM

MilanM New Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Serbia
    Jan 2, 2019
    I have already said though, Havertz and Werner are long shots. Havertz in particular is really not needed at present or even in the summer.

I would have to disagree with bolded part. Player who can cover CM,AM,RM(even DM) would definitely be one of key players in any team he goes to. He will almost have 100 BuLi games until he turns 20. Looking at the market prizes from my point of view. If we can get him for 60M now I am sure we could get double amount in 2 years if we decide to sell him. Not to mention what amount of quality he would bring in our game. Brand would surely be great,but I am not as impresses as with Havertz,that guy has really big sports IQ.

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    In my opinion Havertz is too good to be a utility player. Top players tend to have a position and stay there. Leverkusen are a mess and are ruining their very talented young team.

For me he is either a CM or an AM. Reus plays AM and he is one of the best players in the world. For CM we have Dahoud and let's see how he develops. Dahoud has the potential to become a world class central midfielder. He needs to concentrate more, improve his passing range and final ball. At the very least Dahoud deserves the second half of the season to see how he develops.

I agree with you Havertz is more talented and should become a better player than Werner or Brandt. I would argue he is the most talented German player since Gotze.

I am a firm believer, players need games to develop. Can we offer him a guaranteed place? If I was advising those players I would say Havertz should stay another season at Leverkusen.

14. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Easy for you to say that since I assume you are a BVB fans only and hence strong affinity with BVB success. I cannot point my finger toward you for that stance.

However, I can and entitled to remind the BVB management (yes I know they don't give a shit with random Asian guy posting in internet forum) that they have stadium in Germany, incorporated in Germany, HQ in Germany and unlike Bayern, strong fandom in Germany as well.

Maybe you're fine with if BVB win Champions League 10 times in a row while German NT kicked out of group stage at 4 consecutive WM and EM. Conversely I'm not fine with that. I don't expect full German starting 11, asking for let say 4-5 starter is not too much.

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Watched the Chelsea game and Hudson-Odoi looks the real deal. His match today was fantastic for Dortmund. He has shown Chelsea fans and Sarri he can deliver on the right. The board are probably going to put their foot down and force him to get more game time. Hopefully that is enough to stop the Bayern move.

If Hazard and Hudson-Odoi stay, then Pulisic will not be breaking into the Chelsea team any time soon.

I understand why Dortmund went for him, but if we can't get him then we need him to not go to Bayern.

16. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bayern is the most popular club among casual supporters in Germany.

Bayern club leadership is much more aggressive and nationalistic about having a German core than Dortmund and any top German starlet like Kahn, Effenberg, Matthaus, Gotze, Klose, Neuer, Hummels, Goretzka, Gomez, Werner, Havertz will be pursued by Bayern as a matter of Hoeness' policy. We would have to pay the players more than them to get them. Nine out of ten top German starlets will pick the club that pays higher salaries and an Adidas sponsorship. Not to burst your bubble but money aside players like Hummels want to play for the team that can reach Champions League semifinals more frequently.

Hard to give a shit when Loew does not prefer to cap Dortmund players. I don't know why the obsession with nationality quotas but Dortmund should try to produce better local academy players, like Schalke who have Neuer Kehrer Sane Hoewedes Kolasinac Ozil Meyer Draxler. Unlike Schalke who must sell because their first team is crap, Dortmund can retain more good academy players. The problem is to produce more Gotzes, identify and keep them unlike Reus Rudiger who were allowed to go.

@eaglespark why does south london produce so much wing talent? CHO RLC Sancho Lookman Nelson Zaha Sessegnon. What's in the water?

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I think it's luck. The only idea I have is Ronaldinho, whilst not a winger inspired lots of youngsters. His influence was huge over youngsters. Certainly the most influential football of the last 30 years. Throw that with city kids playing football in small cages and it leads to the development of dribbling and lots of skill. Apart from that it is purely luck, but we have done well winger wise.

Scheherazade repped this.
  18. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #618 Scheherazade, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Must feel good to see some kid from South London do well playing for the club you like? From what I saw CHO has more than enough to compete with CP on either wing, Chelsea would be fools to let him leave.

19. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I only saw the highlights but yes, it reinforced my view of him that he reveals several of the areas that Pulisic has to work on. Hudson-Odoi is even better in creating space in one on ones (Pulisic is good in that area as well) and he is vastly better with his incisive final balls if that is the correct description for it. Similarly to Dembele, he has the instincts to make the right decision. Not sure whether a part of that is soccer IQ but his play just looks more calculated and deliberate. I agree that if Hazard and Hudon-Odoi stay, Pulisic isn't first choice after his first season there.

I'm not surprised that some see him as even better than Sancho and that we already seem to be priced out if we were ever after him. According to what some Chelsea fans think, Hudson-Odoi hasn't disappointed when he got the chance at the higher level but he also hasn't made his case for much more playing time in the PL. Had he joined us, I think he would have made a similar development like Sancho with a slow introduction into the first team.

20. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    @hava it is Nottingham, the sample size of his competitive games versus top division clubs is still too small. Those who have watched England's u17 team play together rate Sancho and Foden better than CHO. How good they are compared to each other now will not matter in future as much as having a coach who is willing to give them plenty of chances and guide them in the critical development years.

21. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After the Ribery fiasco Bayern are going to push really hard to sign CHO this month.

And speaking of Ribery. Damn. Only a club like Bayern will not only condone but encourage that behaviour he displayed these past couple of days. Absolutely repulsive. Bayern fans and Ribery deserve each other.

22. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It doesn't matter what Bayern push for. Chelsea will refuse. The pressure from the fans will just be too great. Chelsea will need Hudson against the smaller teams especially to finish top 4.

Bayern vs Liverpool is really a tough match to decide who to route for, unless we are 12 points clear by then.

Bayern winning will continue to keep them tired for the title race.
    It will also bring more prestige to the Bundesliga and make players more likely to want to play.

However, Bayern winning also means they have more prestige to get targets and more money.
    Dortmund will also get less TV money.

Things may change, but overall I think winning the league is the most important so it's better to have Bayern in the CL.

This coming week is a big one for them. First Leg of the League cup and a relatively easier Premier League fixture, whilst United play Tottenham and Arsenal vs West Ham. If things go according to form they could be 5 points clear of Arsenal and 9 clear of United by the end of the week.
    Yeh it's and it's good for England too. I think learning from Favre, Reus and Witsel is great for any young player. Sadly I don't expect Sancho to be here for more than another season. I would love it if he would stay until he was 22. He does seem to have a genuine effection for the club, but don't think it will be close to being enough. I will be disappointed if he goes for a fee less than Dembele.

23. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It doesn't and shouldn't hurt our chances for the league title if Bayern lose to Liverpool. There are plenty of counter arguments: demoralized players, squad discontent especially if they lose both legs, injuries. Bayern is one dressing room discord away from imploding.

I am more concerned about us in isolation. Our offense is stuttering, our defence is ravaged with injuries, our midfield is basically Reus and Witsel. Belardi hasn't been finalized, there's no offensive dribbler with good finishing skills to augment Sancho.

Our performance so far is not reflective of our team on paper. There is that xG matter as well and slowly we are seeing it evening itself out.

In Nice and BMG, LFs team usually dipped at the 25 game mark. Bayern have overperformed for multiple seasons now thanks to Robben and Lewandowski. We don't have these kinds of guys in our squad.

24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I have searched for any links to players, but it seems we really are not making any moves. I am disappointed with it, but have come to terms with this.

We are just going to have faith that Pulisic will suddenly step up a few levels. I think that's a huge mistake and we needed a left back, but it is what it is.

We are going to need Reus to match an surpass his first half of the season.

25. MilanM

MilanM New Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Serbia
    Jan 2, 2019
    I think we are more in a need of RB than LB. We have Hakimi on LB and Guereiro eventhough he is not playing there in BVB can cover that position really good. On RB we have only Piszczek. If we are going to pursue "cheap" winger we should go after Ismaila Sarr. I don't think his price would be over 25-30M. Havertz or Brand would be a great addition to our team,but I am not that convinced we are going to even ask Leverkusen about them.