Transfer Thread 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #401 eaglespark, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    I still think we need to keep Weigl and Gotze for squad depth this season. Toprak too needs to stay unfortunately despite his fairly substantial wage, because we need 4 centre backs.

It's funny how the argument is being made, that if Pulisic goes we will have to rely on Larsen, when Larsen has been better than Pulisic this season and has taken his place. The truth is both have not been good enough and as you said we need someone who delivers regularly.

I am not sure we need a player in his prime, but we need someone, ready to step up and start delivering right away.

Obviously we couldn't get them, but a player like: Sane or Sterling. I only really watch the Bundesliga and the Premier League closely these days, but I still watch Madrid/Barcelona. So I have no clue if there is a such a player in France. In the Premier/Bundesliga the player to try and get is Brandt. He is having a terrible season and needs a change.

EDIT
    If we sold Toprak we would have to bring in a replacement, but I didn't realise his wages were so high. I still think it's something to worry about in the summer though.

I would also like to add that English sources broke Dortmund were interested in Dahoud and Gotze long, long before any German sources. They also confirmed Dahoud/Gotze to Dortmund a long time before German sources as well.

2. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #402 Scheherazade, Nov 18, 2018
    LF will pick JBL over Brandt. Watzke wont be fulfilling any Football Manager fantasies soon. Even nonfans know that the club's business model has been exactly the opposite. The key words being unpolished starlets. We don't go for the Zahas and Brandts. We get CHO, Diaz, Pedrinho, JBL, Sancho, Sergio Gomez types and if we are lucky one or two step up and become stars here.

The world aint fair. We can grumble all day about Arsenal earning way more for a Puma kit deal. Crystal Palace earn far more broadcasting dough than clubs in Germany Italy and Spain because they are a EPL club. We don't bring in enough dough to buy wingers on the level of Sane or Sterling. The last two big name prime age wingers we got were shipped off to Westham and Fulham when they flopped.

3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Why would LF pick Larsen over Brandt? He doesn't pick Weigl over Witlsel just, because one is younger or Isak over Alcacer or Toljan over LP. Brandt is 22 and not near his prime. He has a lot wrong with his game and badly needs to move.

What do you mean the club don't go for players of that age. Did I just imagine the club signed Miki, Witsel, Delaney, Schurrle, Yarmolenko, Toprak, Castro etc? It seems non-fans assume this, but actual fans no more about Dortmund's business. Zaha and Brandt are not even comparable. Zaha will leave in the summer for around £70 million pounds where as Brandt could probably be got for £35 million.

Not to mention if Pulisic is sold then there would be the money to reinvest in a more established winger. Brandt is the most easily to get out of the Bundesliga, but the French league has a lot of good wingers apparently and the Dutch league has a few. I won't pretend to know about their level. Brandt is just a suggestion, but he is the age range, the quality and the experience of the type of player we should be going for. I think Miki at the time we bought him was another good example of the type of player we need or De Bruyne when he left Chelsea.

If Bayern were having a normal season, then there would be no point gambling with a more established player, but the Bundesliga and a very likely CL quarters are on the line. A more established player could be the deciding factor in both winning the Bundesliga and possibly making the CL semi-final.

4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My guess as to why Toprak is being shopped this winter because BVB -want to dump him (mediocre at best) and his hefty salary. It is also possible that Aki wants to bring back Hummels (he's expensive but he's still a good defender and a much better marketing opportunity for the club). Uli said that Bayern will have a new face in the summer. This means Muller, Hummels, Boateng, Martinez along with Thiago and James are gone. Robbery aren't coming back.

5. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I don't see Muller leaving and I wouldn't want Hummels back. He has nothing to add to this team. Zagadou should be getting better and better, whilst Akanji is very good and then there is Diallo. Reus has proven to be a better captain than Hummels ever was.

Tuchel really did mess the club about with his terrible signigns Castro, Toprak and Schurrle. That was over 50 million spent and they were all on big wages.

That being said, just because we have a bad recent history with our more established signings like Schurrle and Miki (to quite a large extent though we had one very good season and made the money back), it doesn't mean we shouldn't keep going for these types of signings when the time is right.

6. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah Reus is a much better captain. Hummels will never be captain if he returns. But he's still a good defender and can command the backline quite well.

That said, i don't see him as a starter if he returns. Diallo is a better ball playing CB. Akanji is the best defender and Zagadou is going to make selection a good problem to have.

7. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I want Hummels to return as he's my all-time favourite footballer and hate the idea of him finishing his career with those scumbags, even if he's washed up.

TimBenneth repped this.
  8. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Generous. he is a scarecrow.

Other than Witsel the rest are not value for money unlike Akanji Dembele Sancho Guerreiro Pulisic Lewandowski Hummels Gundogan Kagawa list goes on. Im on board if you want a proven goalkeeper, midfielder, centreback. A proven wide forward who delivers immediate results will cost at least 40 million and quite a lot more.

Hummels wanted to live in Munich permanently so he wont return. Players that used to have an important role at BVB will stir unrest and power plays because they feel slighted by a new fringe role in the pack with less leadership and favor than they used to have. Lesson of Sahin Gotze Kagawa.

9. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    There is also the option of playing Reus as an inside forward on the left and having KagawaéGotze play that central role. I think with JBL, Sancho, and Max Phillip the wide positions are covered should they decide on taking a gamble with a young raw option like Pedrinho. I would prefer to see someone who can play both CF and RW brought in tho, I think the striker position is a little light and relying on Max Phillip there leaves much to b desired.

10. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    #410 eaglespark, Nov 18, 2018
    I know. As I said before he is at a crossroads, he either dedicates himself to becoming the best he can be or he disappears and becomes an average player. I think Dortmund is the right place for him to learn how to work hard and to fulfil his potential, but he is the only one that stands out in the Bundesliga and Premier League.

Brandt is in his comfort zone and coasting. He needs a hard winter training session and to understand what it means to win every game. I was very disappointed to hear he rejected joining Liverpool, because he feared he couldn't get into the team. This was before they had even signed Salah. Brandt would definitely be a gamble, but the current squad is full of many excellent characters and I think they would drag him the right way.

There are other players like Pepe, but I haven't mentioned them, because I don't watch them and can't judge if I think they would be good signings. I am sure the club has socuted these players.
    If we could sell Pulisic for around 65 million, which is optimistic, but possible if we involve Chelsea and Liverpool in a bidding war. Then we will have the 40 million to spend on a fairly proven wide player. We don't have the money to go out and buy say a Mahrez, but we can buy the level below.

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am so done with taking back old players. It hasn't worked out even once. No to Mats.

astrophyz, eaglespark and hava repped this.
  12. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    I would prefer Hazard … Thorgan

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Zorc has confirmed Pulisic will not be sold in January and will stay until the end of the season where he will sign or be sold. This is a shame, because he we will lose a lot of money on him.

It's terrible business once again and shows the club have learnt nothing from when they let Hummels, Miki and Gundogan run down their contracts and go for knock down fees.

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you consider it an adverse outcome if Pulisic extends?

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    No, but you can't take that risk. Just, because something works as well does not mean it was good business or management. Waiting so long to get a striker and getting Alcacer in the last minute was bad business, but it appears to have worked out well.

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be coming from the position that Pulisic leaving soonish is an inevitability. Maybe so if Klopp calls, for instance, but I think it'd be a tougher call if it was between Chelsea (and risking the endless loan parade) and extending at Dortmund.

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Inevitable? No. Just extremely, extremely likely he leaves in the summer. I have seen this situation play out many times with Dortmund. Except for Reus the player has always left and it annoys me Watzke and Zorc have not learnt their lesson.

Kagawa, Hummels, Mkhitaryan, Lewandowski and Gundogan have all done the same thing and have all left.

At other clubs Ramsey, Sanchez and RVP have done the same at Arsenal and even Courtois did similar at Chelsea.

It's always bad business to allow this situation to arise.

EDIT

Had Chelsea been stronger and sold Courtois when he refused last summer, then they could have got Kepa for 20 million, sold Courtois for more money and had a lot more to invest in the squad. Doing the same with Hazard is understandable, because without him they won't get top 4.

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think selling CP in the winter break would be risky. If everybody stays healthy and he doesn't find his form then it will have been expensive to keep him for those few months, but if he finds his form or if there are injuries to Sancho or Reus, he will be needed.

Dortmund are in a position to control their own destiny in the Buli, and I don't think you mess with what is working. I think a fullback and one more CB is what is most needed.

MtnGardener repped this.
  19. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    While that may be true for the sake of getting an ideal transfer income, I think this approach is a little bit unrealistic. Dortmund had no intention at all to sell either one of those players who were essential for us and I think in some cases like Hummels, the player didn't think about leaving the year before he did. You also need the consent of the player first for an extension and secondly for transfering him. Further, you also need a suitable buyer. All of these things have to come together. Schalke, for example, failed miserably in their attempt to be strong. They couldn't force Meyer and Goretzka to transfer and they couldn't force them to extend.

Concerning Pulisic, it's expected that he won't extend in the summer. In that case it makes sense to try out and give more playing time to other options which might explain the time Bruun Larsen got.

20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When a bunch of players repeatedly go to Bayern for free then its not the selling club thats at fault. Ramsey, Lewandowski, Rudy, Rode (irrespective of whether they are good or bad). Of course Hoeneß is cajoling the players to screw their current club over.

21. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Only risky if we didn't bring in a replacement. At the moment I think it's too risky to rely on Reus playing top 3 in the world football and staying fit.
    We have three excellent centre backs and one average centre back, who can play against most teams. We are fine there. I agree we do need a left back.

The attack is being carried by Reus. He is very injury prone and his form at the moment has been ridiculous. We can't expect him to keep it up and we must rest him. There's no top play being rested less by their club than Reus.
    Schalke are a joke and have been for a while. Goretzka and Meyer could easily have been forced to transfer. You don't start playing games when a player has only one year left. You make your position clear with 2 years left on the contract.
    1. Sign new deal.
    2. Leave
    3. Spend those 2 years on the bench,

It would only take one example of this, before players realise you are serious and know they have to make a decision when they reach two years. Of course there are some examples.

If a player is not signing and running down his contract then he is thinking of leaving. There are no two ways about it.
    Larsen plays on merit, but it's not like has been particularly great either. Pulisic has been given his chances and was rightfully benched after poor performances like Atletico away.

22. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The Yanks Abroad board is sold on this nonsense idea that the club and fans have turned on Pulisic and cut his playing time because he won't extend. All because they cannot accept that other wingers are plauing better.

It makes no sense to bench a good player and play a worse one when we want to win every match and even less sense to bench a player we plan to sell to the highest offer after a bidding war.

eaglespark repped this.
  23. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I didn't mean to imply that Bruun Larsen didn't get his introduction into the team and the following starts based on merit. He did, that is why it was pretty much announced he'd get his playing time. He had a good streak but calmed down considerably. I'm saying that, despite weaker performances, it makes sense to still give him chances to develop in favor of a player on his way out.

24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Not when you are playing for things that matter. If we were comfortably 2nd and had no chance of catching Bayern, then that would make sense, but we are going for the title. We need to play the best players so we win it. We can't afford to pick players on anything but form.

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That also factors into the Pulisic situation in the winter. Would it be worth selling him midseason even if it hurts your squad for the stretch run?

To me the big factor here is whether the supposedly looming transfer ban for Chelsea is a real possibility. Otherwise why would they pay a big premium to get CP several months early, with only a CL place in the standings to play for?

If there is no transfer ban wrt Chelsea, it probably makes sense for both BVB and Pulisic to focus on the season and scope out the entire market. There's enough time in the summer window to sort this all out, and CP may be rightly wary of going to a club where talented players have wasted time on an eternal loan merry-go-round.