Training camp in Cary

Discussion in 'Raleigh/Durham Chapter' started by MNetherland, May 15, 2011.

1. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey so I guess the USMNT is apparently going to be in Cary again on May 26th for camp. I'm going to be around that weekend and was thinking about going to see. I'm posting this here because I'm assuming at least someone in this chapter has seen them in camp before. So I have a couple questions...is it possible to catch some autographs there? And what time do they normally practice at. I was trying to get up there on saturday, hope it works out. Thanks ahead of time for any help

2. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time they were here (pre-Argentina match) they held an open training session from 10:00 - noon, if my memory is correct. Officially, they weren't going to allow the team to sign any autographs after training, as the PR guy told us, because the team had a very specific eating schedule and they wanted them at the feeding trough on time. Nevertheless, the entire squad took about 30 minutes to sign autographs and they were a big hit, by all accounts.

3. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I appreciate the info!

4. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey yall, I just wanted to stop back in and say my mission was a success! The training was supposed to be closed but I managed to "wander" in; there were only a few other spectators out there and some press. It was a VERY cool experience to watch the boys practice and I got my jersey signed, Clint Dempsey is a really awesome guy in person. The team was looking good although none of the MLS guys were in yet--I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming matches and the GC q-final at RFK that I got tickets for. USA!

1 person likes this.
  5. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice nice! Who'd you get autos from?

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    How'd you "wander in"? I'm thinking of heading over soon today.

7. MNetherland

MNetherland New Member

May 11, 2010
    VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I went on Saturday so none of the MLS players, Bocanegra, or Goodson were in camp yet. I drove in to the complex and there was a sign that said "Parking $5". I asked the parking attendant what was going on and she said it was the NC High School girls soccer championship. I was like "ummm, okay where's the US team at?" and she told me that she wasn't supposed to disclose that information cause I guess Bradley wanted the training session closed. So of course I parked and looked over the fence in to the main stadium and saw the USMNT in there warming up. The high school game was on the smaller field right next to the main stadium so I walked in there to see if there was a way in to the main stadium but it was all barricaded off. So after playing it cool for a few more minutes, I wandered back out to the other side of the stadium and the big gate all the way at the end by the woods was unlocked to let in the team bus. I walked in to that gate like I owned the place, walked up the ramp in to the bleachers and as soon as I emerged I was like 5 feet from Tim Howard on the other side of the fence; needless to say that's when I started shaking. I took a seat in the bleachers and no one seemed to care once I was in, but there were only like 10 or so people watching from the stands. I watched the team train for an hour and then they started walking out one by one toward the team bus after practice was over. That's when I walked to end of the bleachers and got my jersey signed (I was the only one over there so I kind of had the whole team to myself haha)
    I got Dempsey to sign my jersey cause that who's I have and like I said, he was really cool to meet. I also got Altidore to sign my friend's jersey that I had brought along. I didn't ask for any other autographs other than that cause I didn't want to push my luck but it was a VERY cool experience just to watch them train. Next time they train in Cary I might go back and try to get some cards signed by all the players though.
    It was an unreal experience for me and I would highly recommend going over there if they are still in camp for the next couple days ahead of the Spain match.

2 people repped this.