Training Camp Additions

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Feb 2, 2009.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    You'll want to check this out on Keepin it Real or on Behind the Shield:

Escalada is currently on his way to join the team in California (should arrive tomorrow).

So are Owusu-Ansah, Steve Clark, El-Khalifi and the surprise:

I'll have more info on Paulista later tonight. No word about Viveros.

2. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8093107ys4gznK6"]Jorginho Paulista[/ame]
    (via broox)

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4246051689622255832&ei=UJOHSdDgNp-2-wHb1djsCw&q=Jorginho+Paulista&hl=en"]Jorginho_Paulista.wmv[/ame]

3. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I did verify that Viveros is working through Visa issues but is expected to arrive later this week.

5. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be honest, the RSLFO can stay as quiet as they want if it means that they are going to bring in potential quality like Escalada and Paulista! We are not the most known city outside the US, so we have to get to these players before New York and Los Angeles can, as alot of foreigners would love to go to citys like that.

I do think though that once a player has been to Utah, they can learn to love it. (that is the hope anyway)

6. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as olave and morales have... anyword if olaves family is moving with him to slc

7. Mauly

Mauly Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Section 10
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The fans and supporters section will have a lot to do with the player wanting to stay in SLC.

8. fitzpimp

fitzpimp New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this looks really exciting! I can't wait to see what team we end up with. Does anyone know when the official starting roster will be announced? I guess official roster in general.

I can't wait! ahhhhh. The season is getting so close now!

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I think contract compliance occurs somewhere around late Feb/early March. There still can be adjustments, though.

Update: Compliance date is March 2nd

10. jp992751

jp992751 Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't speak Portugese but my Spanish is pretty good and the two are quite simular so with what I know I think the title reads Jorge Paulist leaves China to shine in Brazilian Football. Like I said I don't know Portugese but that sounds right with my spanish skills. RSLFM? Am I way off?

11. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    [​IMG]
    Jorginho Pualista leaves China for the allure of Brazilian football...
    The left-sided player is a friend of Riquelme

By: Marcos Felipe on June 17, 2008
    GLOBOESPORTE.COM in Rio de Janeiro

One-time Vasco player Jorginho Paulista is back in Brazil after four months playing in China. The left side player is one of the most well-traveled Brazilians, having played for more than 13 clubs throughout his career.

He realizes many people think he's simply a washed-up journeyman due the high number of clubs he's been with, but Jorginho claims he still has what it takes to play with one of the big Brazilian sides.

"Coaches and scouts typically remember my name. Sometimes, because I started playing professionally so young and have been with so many clubs, they just assume that I'm like 34 years old--but I'm still only 28!", laughs Jorginho.
    Name: Jorge Henrique de Castro Amaral Nascimento
    Height / Weight: 1.77 m (5'7") / 53kg (117 lbs)
    Birthday: 20/02/1980
    Hometown: São Paulo
    Clubs: Palmeiras, PSV-HOL, Udinese-ITA, Atlético-PR, Vasco, Boca Juniors-ARG, Cruzeiro, Sao Paulo, Botafogo, Pumas-MEX, Paulista & Tianjin (China)
    [​IMG]
    Jorginho (standing 4th from left) was part of the great Vasco side of 2000. His desire is to rejoin one of Brazil's big clubs was behind his decision to leave Tiajin (China) so soon.

"In China, victory is all the matters. I had the opportunity to see the Olympics up close. But I'm back in Brazil to play in the 1st Division...not the 2nd." said Jorginho. He's determined to regain the same form & fame he enjoyed a decade ago while at Januário (Vasco). "My time there was without doubt the pinnacle of my career. I was called on to do even more, but due to injuries, my stint with that club was cut short. Back then, I was playing right alongside greats like Gilberto & Felipe."

A Friend of Riquelme:
    Before going to China, Jorginho played in several other countries, including Italy, The Netherlands, Mexico and Argentina. Incredibly, he says he misses the land of Tango the most--where he played in the Boca Juniors defense in 2001.

"I only have fond memories of Boca and Buenos Aires. A wonderful city! I made great friends there, and I love the club's management. The families of several players frequently dined together--including my friend Requelme." He claims salary issues alone caused him to leave Boca's La Bombonera. "They extended my contract, but the Argentine financial collapse forced the club to convert our wages from U.S. dollars to pesos. That would have meant a huge pay cut for me."

12. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Even though Deuchar is playing in Scotland, he'll be playing in front of 5300 at New Douglas Park, instead of 20,008 at RioT into Stadium.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about, SLC hosted the winter games, EVERYONE knows that (or so the ksl news anchors would have you believe)

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let me fix your quote for you:D

15. poptart6767

poptart6767 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the truth. :(

16. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a question; considering the likelihood of RSL signing a LM, how excited should we be to see Will Johnson playing on the right. It is his natural side but I thought he did quite well on the left last season. I remember when Wingert switched from left to right I thought he look a lot better. Is the same going to be true of Johnson? If so, we should be very excited.

17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I think it will be even a little more prominent than with Wingert. Wingert is at least naturally ambidextrous, but is a little more comfortable on the right. Will is clearly a right-footed player and I think there could be a noticeable difference - however, he'll be all over the field either way.

18. BroncsBomber

BroncsBomber New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Boise, Idaho
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we keep Wingert and Paulista turns out to be a stud we may have a very formidable set of outside backs with Beltran as Wingert's back-up and a battle at left back with Ian Joy and the left footed David Hertel backing up Paulista.

I'm curious as where they try Kennedy at.

I think we are done at CB since I think we only have 4 on the roster. Olave, Borchers, Horst, Robbie.

Just looking at a quick numbers breakdown I would say we keep 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 9 midfielders and 4 forwards.

These cuts are going to be hard and deep...

My first attempt at the final roster:
    FW: Yura, Findley, Luis, Nunez
    MF: Javi, Mathis, Will, Andy, El-Khalifi, Cox, Beckerman, Alexandre, Viveros
    Def: Paulista, Hertel, Borchers, Olave, Horst, Robbie, Wingert, Beltran
    GK: Rimando, Seitz, Clark

Odd men out:
    Futhi, Reiman, Tennelle, Nimo, Joy, Kennedy, Reynish
    Although in a cost saving but jerk move I can see them keeping Nimo and moving Andy to a high paid front office position...

19. Dickov Del Horno

Dickov Del Horno New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just because someone's a trialist and has experience outside of the MLS doesn't mean they're guaranteed a spot and they're going to shine with this team. You've automatically given every single new player a place on the team - and I just don't see that being the case. Let me remind you of Cordoba, Tejada, etc. Also, Nimo is GA. RSL would be absolutely insane to let him go. Look how long we held on to Besagno!

20. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that translated weight for Paulista in the article is inaccurate; I'm a freaking stick and weigh 145lbs, so I'd hate to see what someone like Olave would do to him...:eek:

21. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He's around 160 lbs.

22. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    On the other hand, if you bring in a foreign player you are typically paying them starter money and so the intention is for them to start. But you are right, odds are that one (or more) of these trialists won't even make the team, and if 2 or 3 do - at least one of them will end up a bust.

In the meantime, before we actually have any knowledge - it's fun to speculate!

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Man, I hope 1 or 2 of those left-sided players in your lineup turns out to be Morales/Olave quality. If so, we could very well be in the Supporter's Shield race this season.

24. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like.....but in my (admittedly quite limited) knowledge of how Paulista likes to play, I think I like him more at left mid than at left back. With that in mind, have a go at this:

------Escalada------------Movsisyan------
    ----------------Morales-------------------
    --Paulista-----------------------Johnson--
    --------------Beckerman------------------
    --Joy----Borchers-------Olave----Wingert--
    ----------------Rimando-------------------

Subs: Seitz, Russell, Beltran, Horst, Williams, Findley, El-Khalifi

Joy could be interchanged with Russell for those that aren't sold on Joy.

Paulista's gotta be DP money with that kind of resume, doesn't he?

25. keeptheslinrsl

Mar 17, 2008
    Section 26!
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they didn't tell you is that he was probably the water boy for those teams.