Traffic Nightmare for Sept. 14th.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewDust, Aug 27, 2002.

1. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew's game is scheduled for 7:30pm start. OSU has a game at 3:30pm that will likely be out by 7:00pm. Don't forget many people park at the fairgrounds and shuttle to the game. Hudson will be packed.

2. melloyello

melloyello Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Columbus
    bumdidldyump

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Amazing...The Crew can avoid most of the state fair madness but somehow gets stuck with a potential mess for the one conflict with OSU all season.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...actually...

People come into CCS parking lot for Crew game.
    7 PM - People leave OSU game and have to deal with soccer stadium that could be almost full.

9:30 PM - Crew game ends.

I honestly don't think there'll be much traffic congestion between Crew fans arriving into Buckeye traffic. If people arrive for the Crew game early and stay late, hopefully the OSU traffic will go right around.

And they'll probably use up the southern most part of the lot anyway. I'd imagine that most buckeye fans park on campus within walking distance of the stadium.

5. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There should be no problem with traffic as long as you come to the game on time. Major amount of cars won't be leaving the shuttle area until 7:30 or so, so get to the game around 6:45-7:00 and you should have no problem.

6. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Its great if you're going to catch both games. Sports junkie day. This is not my board, but I used to ride a motorcycle to UCLA football games at the Rose bowl. My hometown. Less headache with a cycle than a car to manuever from cars and get to and from stadium. Plus park up front. Try it.

7. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what I am going to try my best and do. Might miss about 10 min. of the Crew game, but the sports action I will watch that day will more than make up for it!!

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Perhaps you should miss 10 minutes of the OSU game...it should be over early.

9. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    highly unlikely, it should be a good game.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think it would be great to have a full house at the shoe and then a full house at CCS. What a sight that would be for those who still think columbus can't support OSU and the pro sports. What it may also do is prove to MLS that we can co-exsist with OSU during the season and we can spend low attendence months like April and May in warm California and Dallas

11. pasoccerfan

pasoccerfan Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Hershey, PA
    First time visit to Crew Stadium

My wife and I are traveling from Harrisburg to Columbus for the game on the 14th. It's our first trip to the Stadium.

Does anyone have any tips regarding:
    -Hotels
    -Restaurants
    -Parking
    -Seating options (we may leave both kids at home, or we may take a one-year old)

Neither of us have ever been to Columbus, so any info would be great.

Thanks...

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Re: First time visit to Crew Stadium

Here is the official away fan stuff from thecrew.com ... Away Game Info

Crew Stadium is off I-71, north of downtown. Look for the signs once you get onto I-71. You will be getting off the freeway on the 17th Avenue exit, then head west and follow the signs for "general parking".

There are plenty of motels/hotels within 10 minutes of the stadium, especially north of the stadium. You name the hotel/motel, it's probably within 20 minutes of the stadium. More parking info can be found HERE

No restaurants within easy walking distance of the stadium unfortunately, however they are close to the hotels/motels.

Parking is $7, and basically you are parking on the grass/dirt south of the stadium.

Seating options - unless you get the club seats, you are sitting on an aluminum bench, so be prepared for such.

If you need more specific info, ask here or you can PM me. :)

13. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Re: First time visit to Crew Stadium

Hotels: There's a Days Inn really close to the stadium, not sure of the address though. There's also an Adams Mark downtown that has a deal with the Crew (at least they used to). Downtown is nice because of the resteraunts nearby/other stuff happening.

Restaraunts: Downtown, you can find just about anything (can be pricey though). Easton has a ton of stuff for all price ranges (that's out on the outerbelt I-270) on the east side of the city. Crosswoods up north (I-270 and US-23) has a ton of stuff too

Parking is easy, there's a huge grass lot at the stadium, it's very well signed off of 17th Ave.

Seating: I'm not sure what all is left, but if the tickets are selling the way they usually do for the last game of the year, you might have to go with TicketBastard, and take best availiable, there really isn't a bad seat. Unless you want to be with the Fun loving V-Army in 137, then ask Zak (jean_moulin) about vouchers, or someone else (not sure who's running that). There's a thread about those stickied.

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Plow: I didn't want to recommend the Day's Inn ;) heard it wasn't that great of a place to stay.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hotels.

i have seen signage for a holiday inn on (or near) Hudson, just north of the stadium.

i have no idea if that's built, or still being constructed, though.

16. pasoccerfan

pasoccerfan Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm going to take a good look at hotels on Tuesday. If anyone has a favorite restaurant they can suggest, let me know. Also, are there any pubs that show soccer games in Columbus? Other nightlife?

I'm going to call the Crew front office on Tuesday or Wednesday. I hit the Ticketmaster link from the Crew's website, and because we're under 14 days from the game, they recommend that tickets be sent UPS (how long does it take to stuff an envelope?), and you can't order from Will Call this far in advance. Bottom line, they want to charge $59.75 for two tickets that total $36.00!

Thanks again for the information you've passed on--I'm really looking forward to seeing your city.

Good luck tonight...

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's ticketmaster for you.

yeah, if you want to sing, stand and have fun, come under the trees.. they'll have tickets for far less than ticketmaster will charge.

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Thanks

if you want to sit with the fire fans, we will be in section 113, but we will be very loud and boisterous... you can find details on that in the fire forum

ccs is a great place to catch a game, nice stadium and a wonderful pitch

19. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Re: Thanks

Restaurants can be a nightmare after the game on football Saturdays. The further you get from Ohio State, the better. Depending upon how much you want to spend, there is what is called the "Crosswoods Cluster" of pricier restaurants a few exits north of the stadium. Alternatively, go eat when OSU are playing. You will have most places, except sports bars, to yourself.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Thanks

wouldn't "they will be" much better mr. no-go?

and it is better than your carpet in chi..err...naperville.