Trade winds blowing

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, May 20, 2008.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. Sacramento_Soccer

Sacramento_Soccer New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Please be Rocha and Cooper or Alvarez for one of them...

3. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    looking at the standings I don't see LA or Colo making a trade, and with the coach just canned in Dallas they probably aren't making a big trade today either. That leaves:

Houston
    Chivas
    RSL

My guess is it's with Houston.

4. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I have no clue. My guess right now is that it is Dallas.

Yes, since they just fired the coach, they should wait for the new guy to show up before getting rid of players, but:
    1) there are rumors of locker-room problems, so maybe they want to get rid of the "cancers".
    2) the FCD fans don't seem too thrilled with Hitch (their GM) and there are rumors of him (and Morrow) having dealt poorly with a number of players.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my guess. But I'd have to say it's probably a forgone conclusion one way or another that the 2 new players will be from Texas.

6. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    My guess is that its either RSL or Dallas. Dallas for the reasons roblar gave and RSL cause they are also struggling.

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I can't figure this one out at all.

LAG:
    This could make sense because they are up against the cap, they are playing people in many spots of similar (worse) quality than us, and a two for one trade could work out well for them. Problem: who? Yallop ought to know a lot about their roster, but... Who would he take (no idea), who would we give up? (Burpo!? <---sort of makes sense. Wells has been thrown to the fire, and gotten burned a few times.)

Chivasusa:
    Preki is clearly not happy with his squad. They may be losing Guzan, so they could really use Burpo back (the ooops are on them if it happens this way), but who would we take from them? I don't really know their roster. I'd like Razov, but that's a pipe dream, so...

RSL:
    They are closest to us in talent level, in theory at least. Why not them? (I'd be happy with Findley!) I just don't have a clue how this trade would shake up. Maybe they're tired of Rimando as keeper? ....but....????

Houston:
    Who, on our roster, would we give up that would actually help Houston? I just don't see it. Sure, they might want Cochrane back, but I don't see us giving him up. I could see them offloading players like Ashe and Wondo, but.... I don't see how those two really help us out. ???

Dallas:
    Already mentioned. Seems likely just because there's a lot of turmoil going on. Maybe Doyle saw an opportunity to get a player at a discount.

Colorado:
    Oh! So NOW we're going to get Mastroeni! Sweeeeet! ????Who would they want? ROB? (They have Cooke who is doing really well.) ??? ??? But maybe Clavijo really needs Denton or something! ??I just don't see the trade here.

So. There's a trade in the works, but I'm really not familiar enough with the other teams to know what might make the most sense. I have no idea - I'm just hopeful we'll come out of it with an improved team.

8. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Roblar. Good post. I also have no clue as I know very little about the other teams when I watched no MLS games for 2 years. Also I don't know if we have a single player that is

1. good enough to trade for 2 decent players
    2. we are willing to give up a major starter (like Nick Garcia, Joe Canon) and be replaced by existing player or the new player coming in

If we give up a fringe or average player, likely the 2 player we bring in will also be at best average. What we gain can be an extra body, or offloading salary.

If it is the reverse, that we give up 2 players for 1 player, I may have a better hope that the new player is a better one.

I just don't hold much hope at this point that this will be a big impact or a big help to our needs. Well, Frank and John may know a hidden gem better. This trade can be a low risk gamble for us and the team trading to us. Average player for avergae player that may need a new environment to improve.

9. houstonsoccerfan

Dec 29, 2005
    Austin
    If it were with Houston, a good workinga assumption is that it would include one of the 11 Dynamo who played in San Jose with Ian Russell and with John Doyle as Assistant Coach. The only likely suspects in that group would be Brad Davis (he is good but very fragile and Dynamo have cover behind him in Holden and Ashe), Craig Waibel (perhaps last year in career maybe two more), or Chris Wondolowski (just cant find any playing time with Houston).

Brad Davis, if healthy, would be an instant contributor to San Jose. Craig Waibel can provide depth so that when Nick Garcia or Ryan Cochrane miss a game that a veteran is able to slide in. Chris Wondolowski can be potentially a good partner with Kamara in that Chris has good size and has developed a pretty good hold-up game.

But - I'm not sure who Houston would want in return for one or two of these guys and I'm not sure that it is with Houston.

Can you guys get Findley out of RSL or Alan Gordon out of LA Galaxy or Abe Thompson out of Dallas?

10. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    That would be good!

:eek: I hope not!

I just don't see who we send to Houston in return for anyone unless it is something like: Cunliffe/Glinton to Houston for Ashe/Wondolowski and Waibel/rights to Nash....

Maybe, but not much for either team to get too excited about.??

11. ManUnitedForever

ManUnitedForever New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Hope it's with the LAG... we need a defender and you need a striker.

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    2 to 1 in favor of whom? I hope we're giving up the 2 (Glinton, Kamara) for 1 anybody, you name him.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two from Houston: Waibel and Mullan.

14. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Based on the above, the Quakes are giving up two players and receiving one in return.

15. ManUnitedForever

Nov 9, 2007
    Corralles ($202K) and Cochrane ($133K) for Ruiz?

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be Houston. Since they are out here this week, it will save money in air fair. ;)

However, I have no idea who would we give to Houston. All the players from Houston Roblar mentioned are viable options (with Craig less so because defense is less of an issue).

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go wash out your mouth with Lifebuoy, Scummer. He hasn't played for you yet and you already want to get rid of him? What kind of a way is that for a superclub to act?

18. ManUnitedForever

Nov 9, 2007
    Hey, where is your FIFA fair play attitude? Be nice and don't call me names.

19. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Anyways,

Los Angeles - We Could Give Them Burpo for Gordon/Jazic.

Houston - They have a few players who are potential starting players who are aging while on the bench, in Holden/Ashe/Waibel/Wondolowski. Craig Waibel could add needed depth, but if he comes to San Jose, you know Frank will throw him in, out at right back. Getting Brian Mullan also would be a bonus because we can put O'Brien up the middle as the play making midfielder & Have Waibel/Mullan over laps again. Holden is just itching to get playing time, so is Ashe. Davis is safe for now.

20. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I would love to have Mullan back!

But I just can't see that as part of a 2 for 1 deal where we're getting the 2.... ?????

21. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I read the article as implying we give up one to get two.

There's no way we're going to get a Mastroeni or a Mullan (even if it was 2 for 1 instead of 1 for 2).

Maybe we'll get a Waibel-calaber player, or someone who's out of favor like an Alvarez.

Trading with Houston makes the most sense because there are lots of players that understand the system. That might be somewhat true about LA as well.

22. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's alvarez I would not be against it. He would become the man in our midfield.

23. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see us trading with Salt Lake, Colorado, or Dallas.

Sitting here thinking about it, Chivas USA could be a possibility. Burpo back to Chivas with the speculation Guzan leaving this June during the transfer window.
    For Who? Maybe Razov & A lower player, Burling, Ebert or ??.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just dreamin'.

25. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Alvarez I wouldn't be against it. He would become the man in our midfield.