trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    alanis backward look.png

Quakes05 repped this.
  2. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    So we will use this summer transfer to get a CB to replace the CB we got in the last summer transfer? Ok.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  3. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If it's an improvement, why not? Let Matias do his thing!! ;)

Scott Rohde repped this.
  4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’m all for it. So far the guys with a connection to MA have looked good.

Boysinblue and Antonio2020 repped this.
  5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I assume they have list of players Matias wants. These players may have contracts which expire at different times or there may be other factors which affect when a player can be obtained. So it may be a question of grabbing any of these guys whenever they are available rather than try to fill particular positions in a particular order.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Just looked at Oswaldo Alanís YouTube videos. He took free kicks for Chivas. We have nobody who can take free kicks so that alone could really help us.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    No disrespect to Alanis, but isn’t a CAM and a speedy backup to Hoesen a higher priority?

9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It could be that Alanis is the only player that has been confirmed on the radar of the team. It's very likely not the only player they are trying to acquire.

NedZ, Antonio2020 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    #5760 tvromero, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    It is not about who is on the radar, the question is why add another CB to the 5 or 6 we already have?

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Officially, I think there are four, and if Kashia is on the way out, then there would be 3. Not sure what the contract situation is with all the players, either, but it's possible that there would be significantly fewer defenders going into 2019, which is what Almeyda and Fioranelli are building for.

And to go along with that, as NedZ said, this could be a player they wanted bad enough that they are willing to acquire him when available. It's not as if he's been signed yet, either, so it's not something to lose much sleep over.

And I'm surprised there's a backlash about this considering there were nothing but complaints last year about how bad the defense was. Not calling you out specifically here, but people can't have it both ways.

Edit: It is 5 central defenders, in practice. I forgot about Affolter. But he's gotten nothing but criticism as well.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  12. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    All have played in the CB positions:

1. Francois Affolter
    2. Harold Cummings
    3. Florian Jungwirth
    4. Guram Kashia
    5. Jimmy Ockford
    6. Jacob Akanyirige - Future

The defense seems to working out of this group, not something I see as a need or even thin. If Alanis is cheaper or not an INT and better than those above then it makes sense otherwise spend the critical money/space on the offensive side.

Quakes05 repped this.
  13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of that list, how many are with the team in 2020? That's really where we're looking, not 2019 (although I mistakenly said 2019 in my previous post). I think it's important to keep that in mind. I don't think anyone expects Ockford, Affolter, and now Kashia to be on the team a year from now. So maybe you get Alanis earlier than you need him, but he doesn't sound like a player being brought in to fill a hole, he's a player they want to build around. In that sense, I have no problem with this approach.

I also don't buy into the idea that getting Alanis means they can't also get the offensive players they need. There are lots of moves that need to be made for any real roster changes to take place, including Alanis, but just because we don't know the rumors or have insight into the process doesn't mean nothing is happening.

If the Quakes managed to move Kashia and Vako, that alone would give them significant flexibility to bring in additional talent. And when you consider that Wondolowski likely doesn't play next year unless at a significantly reduced salary, that Eriksson probably doesn't stick around, there's significant opportunity for the Quakes to improve in a lot of positions.

don gagliardi repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's nothing wrong with grabbing Alanis now, but I am worried about a grand plan that is not backed by real money.

15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’m already excited about what CB we will sign next summer to replace the one we sign this summer.

But seriously, Nedz is probably right that MA just doesn’t have an attacking player on his list that is both available and meets the budget constraints.

In the meantime this guy used to be able to score on a free kick. If he can still do that it already improves our team.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Boysinblue and Scott Rohde repped this.
  17. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is playing in the Spanish 2nd division so the Quakes may get him at a decent price especially if he wants to play for Matias.

Antonio2020 repped this.
  18. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    "After being acquired last week at the close of the Primary Transfer Window, forward Jonathan Lewis and center back Lalas Abubakar both made their debuts this weekend, placed straight in the starting lineup by Rapids interim head coach Conor Casey."

The Rapids look like they found some young quality that was available via trade in the same spots we seem to be looking. To me this is just another example that we are not fully utilizing all available methods to help the team right now.

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sometimes, this is the impression I get of the Quakes crack scouting team:

[​IMG]

20. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's a young CB, we need better speed in central defense.

Maybe it gives us more flexibility to move Flo back to midfield. Godoy is playing much better, but I would still like to see a Flo/Jackson central mid combo.

I absolutely believe we will get an impact DP CAM...just a matter of timing when that player is available. I'm sure Almeyda already has his eye on a couple guys.

Warshaw brought up the point the Revs sat back against us and it caused problems. We didn't have the same open space to counter. We don't have enough skillful players or aerial threats in our attack to breakdown a stacked D...absolutely critical to have a CAM that can skin players and create his own shot and pull the the strings in the attack...a Valeri type player..or even better, Almiron...big bucks though for that quality.

The mythical SJ CAM...how long have we been waiting for the that...

Sactown Soccer, Boysinblue and JazzyJ repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't. While Jungwirth has shown serious improvement as a central defender, he also started off looking pretty good there when he arrived in San Jose. I never thought he looked good as a midfielder. While Godoy has serious problems as a player, he can do things that Jungwirth just can't do. The midfield needs to be more dynamic, not less.

Plus, Judson is on the team now. I think Jungwirth is very unlikely to make it back into the midfield conversation unless Godoy is traded away, and even then, he probably wouldn't be put there.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this should be one of Goodsports "Add a Caption" photos.

23. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh what the hell! Matias/The Quakes should go after Alexis Sanchez.. (fire away!)

24. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer to see a Judson and Yueill midfield combo.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5775 falvo, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    As the Quakes do every year around June or July, I have a feeling new players will be coming in midway and others will leave...

Any idea who will be leaving?

I’m thinking it will be Guram Kashia and Vako who are or will be as good as gone and/or traded.....

Antonio2020 repped this.