trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not. I don't know much about it specifically, but the Twitter account "MLS Rumors" has been throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks for many years. This seems to fit their mo, throw the names of HALF THE TEAMS IN MLS out there and claim you have inside info if one of them signs Gio. If not, uh, my insider sources tell me that talks feel apart.

The tactics involved are not all that different from those used by psychics, as discussed on Last Week Tonight not long ago:

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth repeating...

Reminder that the MLS transfer window is still open... in fact it doesn't close until May 7, so it's open for the next TWO MONTHS!

The Quakes front office could see that this clearly isn't working, trade Godoy to some other MLS team, send Magnus back to Sweden (even if that means eating his contract), bring in a high level attacking #10 from South America as our third DP, bring in some mid-level attacker with speed, etc.

Or they could decide this is "good enough" and stand pat... which will it be Jesse??

MLS 2019 Primary Transfer Window now open; runs until May 7

Scott Rohde, mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Jessie won't do a damn thing.

Fire Jessie!

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

NedZ repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unless I'm mistaken, haven't the Quakes already eaten one contract (Qwiberg) this year? If so:

[​IMG]

hc897, alexiskool1991 and Earthshaker repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Joel Qwiberg only made $167,999.96 last season so he didn't count that much againsst the cap...

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And he was cheaper to buy out.

Either Matias Almeyda sincerely believes Magnus Eriksson is starting MLS quality, or Eriksson's continued starring role with the Quakes is about the unwillingness of the organization to spend what it will take to compete.

I believe it is about the money.

RocktheCasbah4, Sactown Soccer and bsman repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can only eat one salary per year and not have it count against the cap. The smart move if you wanted to get rid of both would be to eat Magnus' larger salary, and cut Qwiberg but have his $168k be a cap hit...

DotMPP, Sactown Soccer, hc897 and 2 others repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Yes, but the fiscally conservative thing to do is eat the smaller salary and figure that the fans are idiots who will continue to line your pocket...

Quakes05 and don gagliardi repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Who would have understood without the clarification. LOL. :)

Scott Rohde and bsman repped this.
  12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That last tweet was for the wimmin - you know; mansplaining!

13. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it has always been about the money. Fisher is the worst tightwad in MLS.

14. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream would be a nice addition. Fulham will probably get relegated so the timing could be optimal.
    Reminds me of Goodson.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think he would be a poor fit in Almeyda’s system. Now if Ian Russell was the coach then it’s a different story.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I keep talking with a lot of coaches and players who knew/know Ian and they all tell me the same thing. He is good at setting down cones and is a yes man and a good company guy but other than that, he isn't a really good coach....

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ian Russell seems to get results in Reno. Let's bottle his brand of crappy coaching.

whiskey generals.jpg

DotMPP and Earthshaker repped this.
  18. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So then the question is, who gets the credit for Reno's success? Is it the people acquiring their talent? Are there other assistants that are doing the heavy lifting? From the outside looking in, it clearly looks as though Russell is, at the very least, managing the talent he has in a positive way. I can't imagine he's an outright bad coach if the team plays as well as they do.

Granted, maybe he's coaching at the level that best fits his abilities, but I do genuinely wonder how well he would translate to MLS. It's surprising he never got much of an opportunity, even on an interim basis, whereas Watson did.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Success in the USL may not be that difficult to achieve. Maybe though, the strong ownership backing or rather American real estate developer, Herbert Simon should get credit for Reno's success?

20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Reno is getting players and probably other help from the Quakes. I don’t know how many other USL teams get similar help.
    I just read Don’s post about NYRB getting help from the mothership. Maybe the same thing is happening here?

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me -- what is Steve Ralston doing nowadays?

22. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a translated version of an article from about a week ago that has a list of players that are rumored to be on the way out of Chivas.

Out of the listed players, I would guess "La Chofis" Lopez would be one of our targets, a 24-year-old right winger/attacking midfielder coming back from injury.

Here's his Transfermarkt profile

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can someone please explain the MLS rules on transfer fees of a players to a foreign club?

Do the clubs get the entire transfer fee or does it go to the league?

24. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    From the Nick Lima Thread:

"There are rules on how money from transfer fees can be spent. You have to dig through this article a bit, but you should find what you're looking for here."

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Probably the majority of USL teams get help from MLS clubs. Some are straight-up lower division teams of the same club. NYRB is one such. LAG, Portland, many others have "Los Dos" or TimberII teams.

Reno isn't owned by the Quakes but they have a pretty tight affiliation with Reno.

IMO, this is really going to accelerate MLS growth in the coming years. Instead of going around the world to find young talent, it will be in their backyards. Of course, there will still be foreign player acquisitions (and foreign players from USL as well), but this is a huge talent pool that they didn't have available to them 5 years ago.

Sactown Soccer repped this.