trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, but the last true working class team was 2012. If the Quakes can get a bunch of guys together that will play for each other like that team did night after night I will take it. I would be more happy with a working class DP like Robbie Keane than a "I'm famous" DP like Beckham or Zlatan.

JazzyJ, don gagliardi and bobby_guzman repped this.
  2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie was paid something like $4M/year. I don't think he's "working class"...he is a high-end quality forward, played like a high-end quality forward, and paid like a high-end quality forward.

QuakeAttack and hc897 repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Here’s a trade proposal. Since the Quakes are so deep in center mids and thin in out and out strikers, how about trading Godoy to the Galaxy for Ola Kamara? We know assistant coach Kinnear likes Godoy and Kamara was often on the bench when Zlatan played so maybe it makes sense for both teams. Kamara has been very consistent in scoring goals the last 3 years (14,18 and 16) and the Quakes could use a big guy to get on the end of Lima and Lopez crosses. They are about the same age and I think it could help both teams.

xbhaskarx and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I was thinking more along the lines of blue collar working class mentality. Another guy with that attitude/mindset is DC United forward Wayne Rooney. It’s less about their personal success and more about team success.

5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If this happens then just trade Tarbell please. Almeyda supposedly likes to use his keepers to maintain possession on the ground and that’s not Tarbell’s skill set. JT and Bersano are much better at being able to do that.

davez repped this.
  7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Please. You are projecting a personality onto people that you don't actually know. Rooney did come from a working class background, but that doesn't mean he holds those values, necessarily. Nor does a big personality like Ibrahimovic automatically mean the guy doesn't work hard for his team in the way that you mean.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Ok, to make easier for you I’ll use the term “self centered”.

9. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A selfless team isn't the same as a hard-working, blue collar team, right?

At the end of the day, the only team "identity" I want is a "winner" identity. I don't give two shits about plastic/authentic fans or bought/built team. I want to win.

And before anyone says I should hop on some other team's bandwagon, I got two words for you: ******** OFF. San Jose is my hometown, and I will always be a fan of its team. But that doesn't mean the team should take my fandom for granted, and when they do, then I will do something about it (as in my case, the cancellation of my 4-year STH adventure).

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is your club team listed as Fulham?

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOL. You included this addendum after I replied to your post. I didn't tell you to hop on some other team's bandwagon because, per your avatar, you're already on Fullham's. :)

12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the spurs open training back in 2010 before our friendly against them and Keane was noticeably by far the hardest working guy on the spurs squad.

14. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great, he's hardworking. But so is Salinas...

The difference is that Keane is a high-end quality player who works hard. Salinas just works hard.

15. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5440 bobby_guzman, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    No Don, I did not add that addendum after your reply. I added it immediately after my post because I knew something like this was coming LOL :)

And this is not the 1st time I have been asked about Fulham, and I believe it maybe you who asked it previously actually? My answer is: Because I feel like putting Fulham there. They are my 2nd favorite team. And I can assure you that no one wants to be on Fulham's bandwagon this season :)

Regarding Fulham, I started watching them in 2002 after Inamoto transferred over, as he was my favorite player during the 2002 WC. After he left Fulham, I stayed a bit to watch but got bored of the constant losing so I fair-weathered it outta there around 2006? I was AWOL for a long while (missed out on all of Dempsey's heroics there) until Shahid Khan bought the team and I started getting back into it due to thinking that he would be a great owner...

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’ve been a fan of Fulham because of Brian McBride. He is one of the highest quality individuals I have ever met.

due time, bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch the EPL a lot, and my greatest joy is when one of the less fancied teams can take down one of the powerhouses. Crystal Palace's recent road victory over Man City at the Etihad was especially satisfying. This goal by Andros Townsend is a GOTY candidate.

SJTillIDie and bsman repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    “Heroics” is right, Dempsey was great for Fulham, played the best soccer of his career for them. Plus I like that old stadium of theirs.

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his ExtraTimeRadio interview, Alan Gordon said Keane was by far the most competitive guy during practice. Hated to lose. He would get really upset when his team lost small-sided games, and he always scored the most goals during practices.

SJTillIDie and bobby_guzman repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this drunk underachiever prefers to stay in Europe let’s let him stay there please

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about his drinking habits, but, he did have back surgery that required him to miss the entire 2017/2018 season, so, that would be a concern. I do like what has been written about his play, but, probably past his prime.

Tom Marshall of ESPN described him as, "His balance and poise on the ball is impeccable [...]. Equally adept on either foot, he can play on either wing or as an attacking midfielder and breezes past defenders as if they are not there. Fabian also has that knack of scoring spectacular goals that help win fans over."[25]

According to a poll held by German sports magazine Kicker, he was voted the third best offensive midfielder in the Bundesliga, placing him in the "international class" of the magazine's Rangliste des deutschen Fussballs (Ranking of German football) for the Winter of 2016–17[26]

22. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could see how the need for back surgery would cause someone to be an underachiever. But it also would mean IMO that I'd want him to pass a medical in house and IMO have a trial before there was any sort of offer. Perhaps he considers himself at a level above needing to be trialed though. But I think he used to be a good player and if he were willing to prove himself fully healthy and fully motivated, I'd have an interest.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

upload_2019-1-7_17-31-36.jpeg

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  24. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boysinblue, SoccerMan94043 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, you know what happen when a GM vehemently denies a possible signing...