trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Arsenal is willing to let Aaron Ramsay go for free in the summer. One can always dream...

2. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcomed in like Atiba Harris

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would hope that Johnson would be met with more animosity than Harris were he to be signed. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson's time in the league has come to an end.

As for Harris, I feel like I was the only person around here who wasn't constantly critical of the guy. Not that he was good in San Jose, but I think his reputation was worse than his actual play. Opening the door to be aggressively corrected there, like with Johnson, though.

7. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose if I wanted a "chippy" player, which is the nicest thing I could think of to describe Atiba as he always seemed to end unsuccessful attempts to deter an opponent with a blatant foul, I'd prefer someone like Olonzo, who has a great soccer brain and the skills to go with them, but still finds the need to get a cheap shot in whenever possible. I can't remember as much of Johnson's game, like he's got a better game than Atiba did but not as good as Olonzo?

8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory of Will Johnson when he was at Portland was that he reminded me a lot of Sam Cronin in both appearance and in that he never seemed to quit. But that he was kind of a dirty player like Ozzie Alonso.

Of course he hasn’t done well at ORL, and now he has that Rooney tackle that will haunt him for the rest of his life.

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Translation:Sillynews: Djurgården has taken a first contact to refer home Magnus Eriksson from San Jose Earthquakes. Sport manager Bosse Andersson: "Some pieces of the puzzle remain."

markmcf8, mjlee22, xbhaskarx and 2 others repped this.
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Like how much of his salary will be eaten by Fischer.

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I can't believe there's demand for Eriksson, but I will be overjoyed if he leaves, regardless of how or why.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was a golden boot in the Swedish league. Of course there would be demand for him.

markmcf8 and lazlo325 repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for us to give him the golden boot back to Sweden.

markmcf8, bsman, lazlo325 and 2 others repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Past time.

markmcf8, lazlo325 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Google translate with my own editing modifications (and, possibly of interest I note that it says Stahre "took him to San Jose") :

Djurgården is working on getting Magnus Eriksson home from the San Jose Earthquakes.

A first contact has been made between the parties requiring much discussion because the striker would leave the MLS club despite two years remaining on his contract. "We have a good relationship, but there are some puzzles left to solve," says sports director Bosse Andersson.

Today, Djurgården presented her new coach Kim Bergstrand and Thomas Lagerlöf. Duon comes closest to Sirius and has signed a contract for three years to come. They replace Özcan Melkemichel who chose to resign three weeks ago.

First Contact Made

Now the new coaches can get a welcome addition to the club.According to SportExpressen's data, Djurgården has now taken a first step to recruit Magnus Eriksson from the San Jose Earthquakes in MLS. The striker was sold for about 15 million kroner a year ago and has two years left on the contract.

New coach makes the future uncertain

But the coach who took him to San Jose, Mikael Stahre, was fired a month ago, and replaced by former Argentinian national team player Matias Almeyda. With him he had a new coach who wants to put his mark on the squad. Consequently, Eriksson's future in the club is uncertain, and it may be that he is bought out of his contract or that Djurgården simply buys him.

Want to entice the attacker

At the moment, the club is working hard to attract Eriksson for the next season.

Djurgårds sports director Bosse Andersson makes no secret of wanting to have "Mange" home next year.

"I'm up to date about his situation. When he left us a year ago we did it for his sake. Clearly he feels gratitude for that.

"He is home in Sweden now and for sure he has strong ties to Djurgården. There are some puzzles to solve and above all, he has two years left on the contract.Then he will talk to San José on his own. As has been said, we have a good relationship, I am up to date and the future will show where Magnus is playing football next year, says Andersson.

16. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It would be amazing if the Quakes can sell he-who-dives back to Djurgarden even if the club takes a slight hit on the transfer fee paid. We would get some money back, get rid of his contract, open up a DP slot and then ownership could buy out Vako or Qwiberg.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qwiberg reportedly has the same agent as Eriksson. I wonder how likely it was that the agent started talking up Qwiberg once the Quakes started negotiating for Eriksson. Signing Magnus was not just a failure on the part of Jesse, but, a double failure when you add in blowing an Int. slot on Qwiberg.

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If the Quakes had decided on Stahre, and Stahre told the Quakes he wanted Magnus and Joel, it isn't so surprising that the Quakes would sign them.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one thing wanting the co-Golden Boot winner, however, Qwiberg was a second division player in Sweden, can't imagine Stahre "wanting" him.

NedZ repped this.
  20. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alonso is one of those guys who I have to admit is an effective player, but I don't like because of his physical (dirty?) play.
    Carlos Ruiz was a good player, but I wouldn't want him flopping on my team. Rafa Marquez broke Shea Salinas' collarbone, etc.
    (When I was younger, I was a Dodgers fan, and couldn't believe it when Juan Marichal was traded to LA).

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    markmcf8 repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 and SeaJayBee repped this.
  24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, I'm surprised Seattle didn't do more to allow him to retire with the team. That kinda sucks for Alonso.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He can commiserate with Clint Dempsey.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.