trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care where our players come from as long as they play well for us!

Beckham7 and don gagliardi repped this.
  2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're looking for a left back? No one expected that !!! :)

Sactown Soccer and Beckham7 repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left back-yeah that was obvious.
    D-mid- hmmm....I wonder if Flo is on his way out? Felipe is more of a holding midfielder, and Godoy can play both roles. And Yueill?
    Winger-would appear that Matias is as impressed with Eriksson as we are.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to Hercules Gomez nov-6-2028 podcast, and he says that Orlando told a player making $470k that they were not going to pick up his option. He informed them that he played one more game than his contract minimum, and that ORL had no choice but to renew. Herc wouldn’t say, but I guess this player is Will Johnson.

Beckham7 repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the one hand it's good to know another MLS organization is more inept than the Quakes. On the other hand, the idea of Will Johnson being paid money to play soccer is revolting. (And it was Will Johnson, as discussed somewhere else on BigSoccer days ago.)

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2028? Welcome back from the future ;)

This is interesting, though. I wonder how often stuff like this happens. I guess I'll have to give the episode a listen, but I'm a bit confused by the minimum here, and what that means. Sounds like he would be capped at a maximum without renewal rather than a minimum.

But if Orlando doesn't want him, then a team could get him for favorable terms. I don't like Johnson very much, but he could be an upgrade over Godoy if the Quakes are looking for a defensive mid, as rumored.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From within MLS Jesse should go after

Danilo Acosta (21, RSL)
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/danilo-acosta

Cristian Higuita (24, Orlando City)
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/cristian-higuita

Kelyn Rowe (26, New England)
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/kelyn-rowe

That's three players who shouldn't be that expensive to acquire. Acosta has been benched in favor of another homegrown LB. Higuita only plays about half the time. Friedel already moved Rowe to fullback so obviously he doesn't value him, the Revs would probably be willing to let him go for pennies on the dollar like they did with Lee Nguyen.

10. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nooooooooo. I don't know why but I really hate that guy. His presence on the field, regardless what jersey he is on, annoys me.

davez and don gagliardi repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What... hell no!

When was the last time you watched Will Johnson play? Because he’s been complete trash for a few years now, certainly he was terrible in 2018...

And he’s on the wrong side of 30.

And be recently got arrested for domestic abuse.

And he is by all accounts a total prick.

Pass.

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, I had forgotten about the domestic abuse. Yeah, that definitely takes him out of consideration for me, no question.

And to be clear, I was not arguing the Quakes should make a play for him, though my phrasing certainly made that the obvious interpretation. My thought process was more along the lines of I would not have been surprised to see the Quakes consider making a trade for him if they thought they wouldn't have to give up much to do it based on the contract circumstances.

But yeah, there are plenty of players out there and would rather not have Johnson involved with the Quakes.

13. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should bring Sebastian Lletget back to the Bay Area.

bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested the Quakes go after Sebastian Lletget in 2015 when he was first returning to MLS, somehow that devolved into an argument over Lletget vs Pelosi, Lletget vs Salinas.... :rolleyes:

Lletget is still not back to his peak (3G 2A in 2018 is underwhelming) following the serious injury he suffered minutes after scoring his first USMNT goal vs Honduras in World Cup qualifying, but he looked pretty decent by the end of the 2018 season, and just got called back to the national team for the first time since returning from his injury.

That US vs Honduras game was something, can't believe that was only a year ago...

Anyone think a package of Marc Pelosi plus Shea Salinas would be enough to get him? :whistling:

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LOL.

I think my 2015 post comparing Lletget with Salinas holds up pretty well.

What about Sebastian Lletget v. Shea Salinas? I did a quick statistical comparison.

The upshot is that Lletget's scoring prowess appears very much a byproduct of his supporting cast. Most of his goals are of the "garbage time" variety when the game is already won by the Galaxy, and he has yet to be given credit for a teammate's goal. Even though he appears on the surface to be a younger, faster, stronger, and flashier version of Salinas, it's not at all clear that his impact is greater than that of Salinas or that he would be an upgrade to Salinas had the Quakes acquired him. I'm not trying to badmouth Lletget. He's a good young player. But the hyperbole surrounding him does not withstand scrutiny.

I have not changed my opinion. As the Galaxy's fortunes have waned, so, too, has the hype around Lletget dissipated. You, yourself, admit Lletget's 2018 performance was "underwhelming." But he is younger than Salinas and he's a good player, as I acknowledged way back when, not to mention bsman attests to his good character, so I'd be happy to have him -- without the Hollywood style hype that marked his entry into the league.

16. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can hear into the future? Nice

17. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Lletget's salary is only around $250k range ($50k more than Salinas). If the LAG don't want any of our players, I'd like to see how much allocation $'s it'd take to get Lleget.

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for pete’s sake u guys, it was a typo. I posted from my phone, without my reading glasses, :oops:

19. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5170 falvo, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Yeah I think Johnson but I also think they did the same thing with Antonio Nocerino.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My comment wasn't meant to embarrass you, just to make light of the typo. My apologies.

mjlee22 repped this.
  22. Sarkar

Sarkar Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All of the above three could have walked in in the first team of Quakes 2018, but IMHO Quakes need solid players in the above positions who can walk in one of the top teams in MLS.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no worries, i wasn't embarrassed. I was just giving you guys some shtick back. :D;)

i should just never post via my phone, but i was out of the house, and now I'm so old that if I don't share info right away, I never remember to do it later, or I can't find it again. I guess the secret is that I should never read BS on my phone...

24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read in a Matt Pentz Athletic article that Seattle signed Ruidiaz for $7.5M.
    Somehow I can't see John Fisher ponying up money like that for one player

bsman and Antonio2020 repped this.
  25. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That would be nice though..

mjlee22 repped this.