trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This is the kind of stuff you talk about when your team really, REALLY sucks.

hc897, xbhaskarx and Socarchist repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsman repped this.
  3. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played left back in the upsl, should I get signed? Can't be too much worse than Qwiberg hahaha.
    But seriously did you mean usl or uPsl?

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I played left back in high school. I played it like Jack Ham, but it was a different era. :)

5. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh, Jack Ham?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Since this thread was initiated on March 10th, 2013 , have any of our free agent suggestions been signed? Just curious.....

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think that’s dependent of how many BS posters work for the scouting and team overall.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Meanwhile, when Brazil was hosting the 2014 World Cup, Gabriel Jesus was a street painter. Four years on, he is playing from Brazil and Manchester City and his market value is now at €80 Million....

Somebody knows how to scout.....

[​IMG]

10. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Jesus

On 1 July 2013, Jesus signed a youth contract with Palmeiras.[6] He was also the club's top goalscorer during the year, scoring 54 goals in 48 matches.

In January 2014, after lengthy negotiations, Jesus signed a three-year contract for Palmeiras with an additional two...

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They should have picked him then and maybe Brazil wouldn't have lost 1-7 at home....

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, the Brazilian national team should have picked a 17 year old kid just because he scored a handful of goals in the domestic league?

Gabriel Jesus had 0 goals in the 2018 World Cup despite being a 21 year old at Man City worth 80 million Euros, but they should have put him on the roster four years ago! :rolleyes:

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5013 falvo, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    You take it too seriously as it was mostly a joke. Still, I seriously doubt he or anyone would have been any worse than whomever was on the field during that fiasco.

My point is though, scouting these types of players. Why can’t the league or the Quakes for that matter, scout or at least try to go down there and find someone like this? We had Andre Luis, a former Brazilian national team player on the payroll since 2009 and have never brought in anyone so where exactly are our scouts looking? No one really knew him when he was painting the streets 4 or 5 years ago and where he came from, I’m sure there are others. This is the type of player we as a team or league should find. I’m sure they can be found if we put the right scouts in place.

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brazilian players are generally not cheap, are already scouted heavily by Europe and the rest of the world, and Brazil has a domestic league in which to play Brazilians. That's why it's not a heavily scouted by MLS teams. It's likely not worth the cost. It's similar to why you don't see tons of Mexican players in MLS. There are plenty of good players that can be found, the Quakes just aren't good at finding them because they don't put a lot of effort into it.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5015 falvo, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    They are just some of players that everyone knows about but not al of them. How about all the other hidden talents that get overlooked that no one knows or talks about? I doubt Gabriel Jesus was worth 80 million 5-6 years ago when he was painting the streets and no one knew who he was but he is just one example though. Take any Argentine or Brazilian kid, offer him a few hundred thousand, 500k or even the million they gave Innocent and Magnus , give them a chance to live and play in beautiful Northern California and I'm sure any kid would jump at the chance. It would be better than living in the favela or slums of Sao Paulo.

It seems to me the league and the Quakes have wasted a lot of time and money on worthless overaged veterans so why not start investing or scouting down there? I'm sure the players exist , its just a matter of scouting and finding them. Not everyone has to be a Ronaldo, Kaka or Pato but I'm sure there are other players who are cheaper and who could be good and would jump at the chance of coming to America and playing in MLS. The Quakes wasted a 3 year contract on 36 year old Andre Luiz who only played in 16 games and was later made a coach. He is someone who played at Corinthians, Marseille, PSG, Santos and for Brazil and he ended up living here because he loves the area. If he can do it, so can other younger players.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that even after the Edenvale rezoning that handed ESLLC an additional $10 million toward the stadium, one of the specific conditions of which was to install an upgraded outer skin (as stated on Page 11 of this document), ESLLC later petitioned in February 2017 to opt out of installing an outer skin altogether. :thumbsdown:

Is Tom Fox's info more recent than that latest document or was he just blowing smoke? :confused:

Incidentally, here were two exterior "skins" being tested sometime prior to the stadium's opening:

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the face of it, it would not appear that you have the latest City documents. The redlined agreement you link, referencing page 11 thereof, is from 2013. The final version is necessarily a later one. And presumably there is some documentation following the February 2017 meeting memo.

Notably, the circa February 2017 "petition" by the Quakes to be relieved of any obligation to spend an estimated $4.5 million on an architectural exterior coating is consistent with what I was told, on two separate occasions in or about 2016, by different very high level San Jose city officials: the Quakes do not want to spend the money.

Also, the 2013 redline draft agreement is amusing for some of the other stipulations that underscore the Mickey Mouse nature of Avaya as originally proposed. Tent concessions. Aluminum plank style seating.

But, yeah, the Quakes' on-field problems don't stem from cheapskate owners but, rather, incompetent GMs and coaches. Right.

TigersFIMA repped this.
  18. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  20. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From mls.com
    Were more clubs searching for a potential starter, Colorado Rapids’ backup 'keeper Zac MacMath could have ranked higher on the list. Colorado, conversely, should be eager to make any deal that can improve the side.

MacMath hasn't been "the man" for a full season since 2014, but he's gone 12-12-7 with a 1.16 goals-against average for Colorado (numbers that top those of Rapids star Tim Howard, actually). The 26-year-old is a good shot-stopper who also distributes very well.

Who should consider inquiring: As things stand around the league, San Jose should be the first team in line any time a quality netminder might be had in a swap.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this earlier, but no one seemed to notice. The GK coach is only 30 years old and stopped playing professionally at age 24. Before coming to the Quakes, he had been a youth GK coach in Qatar.

I have the feeling this guy may be a significant reason why Tarbell is getting worse, not better. It may not matter who we bring in, maybe this GK coach can spin straw out of gold.

DotMPP and Socarchist repped this.
  22. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart says his next move needs to be "permanent" rather than another loan.

The 31-year-old has made only one appearance for City since Pep Guardiola became manager in 2016, and had loan spells at Torino and West Ham.

He was not in Gareth Southgate's England squad for the 2018 World Cup.

"I did what I did in the previous two seasons because I needed to play to be involved in the World Cup," said Hart. "And look where that got me."
    Hart, who has one year left on his contract, added: "I'm experienced, I've played at the highest level for a long time, and done a lot of things in the game.

"I need to be an important player at that club and I think that can only happen with a permanent move."

Guardiola has said City will try to "find a solution" for Hart, and is prepared for him to "stay here" if no acceptable offer materialises.

"I need to do what's right for me and my family and that's the decision I'll be making," said Hart. "It's a tough one, but it's a situation which will be resolved."

"There's no league that I'd say no to. I'm open, but I want to do what's right for me at this point of my career and I want to give all of myself to the right cause."

23. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some one retweeted in the Avaya Stadium mobile app that we are interested in Argentine left back named Ligma. I can't find it anywhere.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Ligma" is an Argentine word for "the side opposite Lima." :)

lazlo325 repped this.