trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its gradually turning into the "small club" thread but yeah, its becoming painfully obvious we are a small club. But we are also a stupid club, that makes stupid club decisions. Its just an additional slap to the face that we cannot be a resourceful small club, like FC Dallas. If we are gonna be a small club, let the homegrowns play, lets grow our own and be known for it. Even if theyre not totally ready now, lets facilitate that process and encourage it to be a good example that we are that kind of club despite never going to get a Keane, Zlatan, Beckham, Barco even. I agree, we do need fundamental change, and it does need to start from within.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because two things would have had to happen to sign Keane.

1) Quakes ownership would had to pay Keane a salary stratospherically above anything they had paid before, which wasn't going to happen.

2) Keane would have wanted to come to play in San Jose, which wasn't going to happen. Why would have he wanted to come play in a third-rate college stadium that held less than 11,000 when he could pick his location?

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    (1) That sort of inducement needs to happen in the future. That's the point I've been pressing all day.

(2) If the Quakes offered more money than the Galaxy, Keane would have agreed to play at Buck Shaw.

All we do all day on this board is discuss counterfactuals, yet none of you seem to have the cajones to really dream big.

Send us that Belgian striker and his pass-happy teammate and see how smart Stahre becomes.

4. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We would have brought in Keane....in the middle of a horrible season. Where we would hope he could turn our season around like every season except for 2012. He fails to do so, not because of his skill but because of the quality of his team. We don’t resign him. Leaves to LA where he can have a better supporting cast.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're right, it's medical experiments -- I mean, mining the Ecuadorian leagues -- for the lot of us Quakes fans.

6. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know the Quakes were not going to open their wallets prior to the opening of a new stadium, they pretty much stated that. So, saying the Quakes could have signed Keane if they only offered more money than the Galaxy is a non starter.

Have things changed now? Maybe? Let's see how serious they are in the upcoming transfer window.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And now we know the Quakes are not going to finish building the stadium years after opening it.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And you're accusing me of being unserious?

9. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Really, Don? And how do you know that?

A few games ago I was chatting with Tom Fox at Avaya and I asked him about the skin. He said that they are working it with the City. The City did not like the earlier plans and wanted something that was more "San Jose". Not sure what the City wants but they have budget for it and Tom said that they are trying to come up with some ideas that the City will approve as well as the fans.

Not sure how much longer the planning will take but I do not believe the stadium will never be finished.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And the missing glass roof panels?

(Your talk with Tom Fox, which I will take at face value, is more current than my separate conversations with very high level city officials a year or more ago, both of whom told me they were disturbed that the Quakes did not want to place any exterior cladding on the stadium. Perhaps the City held the team's feet to the fire, after all. You can be sure the Quakes would not be even entertaining the idea absent compulsion from City officials.)

11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you buy the team when we weren't looking?:D

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I had, Kip Colvey would be starting at left back. :)

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the City continues to press the San Jose Earthquakes on finally installing an outer stadium skin ASAP as it did in thankfully rejecting ESLLC's embarrassing initial stadium plan.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I wonder if building right next to the airport has created challenges with reflections that could be dangerous for pilots? Whatever solution they use needs to absorb light and not reflect it.

Goodsport repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In my view, the stadium is fine the way it is. The visiting locker room should have been smaller and lacked ventilation and working urinals, but that is a minor detail. :)

The issue here is what the Quakes' unwillingness to complete the stadium design says about their willingness to spend for players.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The rumor mill everywhere is ice-cold/silent regarding any upcoming signings by the Earthquakes. I don't know if this means that absolutely no word has leaked out about signings in the works (unlikely), or that the Kashia deal is the only one we'll see while the window is open (hopefully unlikely), or that we will rush into deals that haven't really been adequately vetted (given our prior experience, unfortunately likely.)

davez repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #4967 JazzyJ, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    I predict that Jesse is finally going to make his first intra-league MLS trade (or two). I think the secondary window opens right about now. It'll probably be for an outside back, for one. Maybe also a veteran keeper.

18. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Posted on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/SJEarthquakes/comments/8xrkl3/secondary_transfer_window_thread/):

archspeed
    1 point · 56 minutes ago
    My cousin who's an STH got a call from Fox, and basically the team is done for this transfer window. My cousin mentioned that Fox has already started talking about January transfers, so at least the team is looking into that.

Basically this means that front office gave up on this season and is already preparing for next. Rightly so, IMO.

Just suck for us fans :(

NedZ repped this.
  19. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

OUCH !!

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah - that really coincides with my research (two posts above). I'm glad that we aren't rushing right out and buying any warm body (see John Doyle). I am actually heartened to hear that we're (at least theoretically) looking at our roster strategically.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, let’s not load up on contracts they we may regret later. Maybe Stahre gets fired and new coach wants to go with a different approach. Not much to play for except pride the rest of this year.

chris thebassplayer and bsman repped this.
  22. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oof!

Mark, I think you can start your Stahre death watch thread....that is not a ringing endorsement for the coach.

23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far Jesse has been really into signing euro players. Some have been great like Jungwirth and Hoesen. Hyka was solid. But many have been misses. Will he start to dig into MLS for inter-league transfers? Or does he still think his best value add to the club is going after middling euro players from middling euro leagues that other gm's in MLS don't know about?

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does Lichtenstein have a league?

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a few guys out there that might be worth a look in the league that aren't getting playing time. Other teams are probably thinking the same thing about TT to see if they could get him off us for cheap.

Abu Danladi - crazy talent, good speed, some injury troubles
    Rodney Wallace - good player not getting minutes at NYCFC b/c they are loaded
    Tommy McNamara - same as above
    Sal Zizzo - not getting minutes at atlanta, could play fullback for us
    Erik Hurtado - could give us some speed out wide