trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I would never have called up Lenny if I was the Nats coach. You'd be playing a man down due to him getting a red card for his antics. If his typical behavior happens in a WC qualifier in Guatemala and he sees red two minutes into the game.

And I enjoyed watching him with the Quakes.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The USA couldn’t score one lousy goal against T&T. I’d always take goal scorer. Arena should have definitely used Wondo more than he did. He couldn’t have done worse than anyone else.

3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree they can serve a purpose. I also think Gordon was a better player than Lenhart and contributed to his teams post 2012 in a way that Lenhart did not. Gordon scored 18 goals in his time in San Jose, doing so in 8 fewer appearances and significantly fewer minutes played. Gordon's per minute contributions make Lenhart look pretty awful in comparison, actually. Gordon was just extremely limited in the minutes you could give him. If Gordon and Lenhart had been equal physically, then it would have been no question that Gordon would start over him.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think what you are missing here is Lenny's ability to chase down and win long balls. Gordon was simply too slow to do that - the pass had to be right at his feet or forget it, while Lenny was both pretty quick for his size and strong, and chased down long passes and beat defenders time and time again. That was one of the keys to the Quakes dominance in 2012, and that is the reason that Lenny usually started over Gordon. Lenny also had better touch then Gordon did, and that also helped him function as a #9.

What is the "physical limitation" relative to Lenny that would prevent Gordon from getting more minutes? He got tired?

don gagliardi, falvo and Earthshaker repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree completely but as well as tired , he got injured.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lot of revisionism. Lenhart was one of the greatest players in MLS history. He got into the heads of every team he played and dictated games even without getting on the score sheet. Evaluating him on goals per minute entirely misses the plot. Only legends are immortalized in chia pets.

And for a brief shining moment, Lenhart was indeed a legend. Lenhart did not reach his full potential only because his career was cut short by injury. Kind of like Gale Sayers.

DotMPP, SJTillIDie, falvo and 1 other person repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For a brief time and during when he was getting into the heads of opponents as well as referees and opposing team coaches , I can’t think of many American born forward across the league who did what Lenny did. Sigi was the coach who drafted him and he was the first one to complain about his antics. I can’t name one true forward in MLS today who had Lenharts work ethic and it was a shame his career ended the way it did.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a big reason that Wondo scored 27 goals that year was because defenders were so preoccupied with dealing with Lenny (and Gordon), that Wondo had an easier time losing his markers.

9. Two Stars Blue

Apr 17, 2005
    And, many of the last minute heroics of Gordon in the Goonies' years can be attributed to the defenders having to deal with Lenhart for 80 minutes. I loved their partnership and agree it was a shame to see Lenny's career cut short. When the two of them were at the top of their game, it was not only formidable, but a beautiful thing to see.

alexiskool1991, bsman and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Gale Sayers also bike while wearing flip flops?

due time and hc897 repped this.
  11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Age, mostly. There is a five year age difference between the two. Gordon was already 31 in 2012. He also was probably not as fast as Lenhart even at Lenhart's age, so you do get something different if you go with him. Lenhart started over Gordon for legitimate reasons in 2012, no question. Gordon was still the better player.

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If Lenny started over Gordon "for legitimate reasons" in 2012 then he was almost by definition, the "better player" that year by the logic that you want to start "the better player".

Gordon was always slow, that's why he had the ironic nickname "flash", even early in his career. And though far from everything speed is part of the deal when you evaluate the effectiveness of a player. Gordon was probably the better scorer but Lenny did a lot of things better than Gordon also.

13. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute, Gordon’s nickname of “Flash” was a joke? The guy had Mercury-like fleet-of-foot wings tattooed on his — is it his back or his ankles— i can’t recall. I can’t believe someone would do that as a self-deprecating joke that lasts the rest of his life. Maybe he was fast at one point in his career?

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Gordo would do it as a self-deprecating joke. He has poked fun about is lack of speed many times.

This article references the "flash" thing as a running kind of joke.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-designated-player-alan-gordon-really-ties-the-room-together/

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hah I totally believe that. They were like brothers. In fact now that I think about it I wonder how much the trading of Gordon affected Lenny mentally.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a very simplistic way to view roster construction. I'm surprised to hear it from you given your tirades about points per minute of other players like Vako.

18. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In regard to Vako I was arguing that just because he's a DP, he doesn't "need" to be a full-time player. Maybe he doesn't start some games, maybe he doesn't normally play a full 90 when he starts, etc. It's fine. But an argument that of two players playing the same position, the one that starts is worse than the one who subs in at 80 minutes, that is much more of a reach.

I mean you can't just say that Gordon was the better player, it's just that he was older and slower. I was talking about how good the players were in 2012. You don't get a pass for being older and slower, that all goes into the evaluation for the players at that point in time.

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? I thought the joke is that Alan Gordon is both of those characters.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yamil Asad wanted to stay in Atlanta at end of loan

Yamil Asad is back in Argentina with Velez Sarsfield because Atlanta are pursuing Ezequiel Barco for tens of millions. He had 7 goals and 13 assists in 32 games last season in his first year. He's only 23 and wants to be in MLS. Asad's transfer fee would reportedly be a couple million so he would be a DP, but his production is in line with a DP designation.This is exactly the type of DP signing that a team like the Quakes should be pursuing.

Beerking and ant0n repped this.
  22. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4597 Beckham7, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

Translation: Yeferson Quintana played one year on loan in the MLS team: San José Earthquakes, #Peñarol granted it in Exchange for an amount of money and the option is 1.000.000 USD

Hmmm 6ft4 21 year old centerback.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My Spanish is a little rusty but if I'm reading correctly, that is quite a lot of money for an option on a player. At least as far as the Quakes are concerned....

Yeferson Quintana -

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not sure how we’re going to manage all these international players given our current roster situation...

25. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Quakes COO Jared Shawlee follows Quintana on twitter.