trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    It's almost like Jesse is stacking the team with players that will be useful to the NEXT manager. . . .

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  2. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I got the same impression. None of the new players is from the Dom's choices of big target forwards and speed demons with emphasis on physicality over skills.

We will see if these players outlast Dom or the other way around.

3. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Or, we'll see if Dom adapts.

He's not stupid and can surely see the direction Jesse wants to go. He gets to decide that he can either learn to work differently or know that his time is up.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Jesse doesn't say much about tactics, but one thing I notice is that a few times he's talked about a player who can "link the midfield to the forwards". He talked about Urena that way, now he is saying the same thing about Valeri.

Given that, I wonder if Dom might even play Valeri as a withdrawn forward, essentially playing the Urena role. It might make sense because 1) Valeri seems to be a scorer, 2) has a good long range shot, 3) there are rumblings about his work rate not being the best - maybe it is better if he doesn't have "track back" defensive duties, 4) the Quakes already have a bunch of guys playing outside mid and are thin at forward, and 5) Jesse has said that their acquisition will be a "central player". I do not see Dom sacrificing one of his defensive / holding mids for a CAM who may not be much of a defender.

I suppose there is an outside chance they go 3-5-2 also, in which case Valeri could actually play a CAM role in sort of a 3-[4-1]-2 setup.

Also, I think it might be mistaken to think that these acquisitions are somehow "Jesse guys". As far as I can tell, Jesse is a collaborative sort, and I'm sure these acquisitions are made with considerable input from Dom and the other coaches. These guys are not operating in vacuums I would imagine.

5. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is operating in a vacuum, then there is just not being asked for your input.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think we have any basis for making that assumption. Everything Jesse has said so far about these kinds of decisions has been that it is a collaboration. Maybe it isn't, and he's lying, or it's changed, but I doubt it. But anyway, can there really be all that much debate about something like this?

Jesse: "Hey, we can acquire a DP for 1-1.5 mil, do you want an attacking midfielder, center forward, or center back".
    Dom: "Yes".
    Jesse: "OK, I'm glad we're in agreement".

7. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Continued....
    Dom: "I will play the guy as DM or winger anyway."

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never heard of him but I hope he turns out to be a good one.

upload_2017-6-21_20-45-44.png

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Valeri Qazaishvili fares better in American sports than his countryman Nikoloz Tskitishvili...

Christian Pulisic connection... he had his first Champions League assist in this blowout:

On 31 August 2016, Qazaishvili joined Polish side Legia Warsaw on a season-long loan.[7] On 14 September 2016, Qazaishvili made his Legia Warsaw debut in a 6–0 home defeat against Borussia Dortmund in the opening matchday of the 2016–17 UEFA Champions League.[8]

Nemanja Nikolić, now with the Chicago Fire and currently leading the MLS golden boot race by three goals, was Valeri's teammate in that game...

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And yet the team has not changed the way it plays at all, despite the shift in player talents and capabilities. Kinnear may not be dumb, but he sure isn't doing much to dissuade people from thinking he is.

don gagliardi repped this.
  11. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i had a dollar for every time someone here has said that.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not only could you pay your rennt but we would have at least 3 more MLS Cups!

13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I meant, wait No I meant...

Sigh.

Well, here's hopin'.

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I don't mind creative attackers starting wide. But I thought we were missing a dominant player on the ball right in the center of the park.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Jesse is looking at him as a second / withdrawn striker, which actually seems to make sense given that 1) Dom is unlikely to give up his dual d / holding mid pacifier, and 2) there were some questions about this guy's work rate / ethic - would he be the right guy to expect to "track back" and defend?, 3) we already have a lot of wide attacking players, or guys who are played there anyway, and 4) Urena has not exactly been lighting up the nets.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jackson Yueill fills the role of dominant player on the ball right in the center of the park. Once the new coach starts him, you'll see the situation is solved.

17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    That would be nice.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4368 xbhaskarx, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Earlier this year Seattle was on the verge of signing Keisuke Honda, but he couldn't get out of AC Milan in time for the MLS season. Now that the summer transfer window is almost here, and with the Sounders struggling so far this season, it looks like they're bringing in Paraguayan Derlis Gonzalez instead. That would give them three DPs (Dempsey, Lodeiro, Gonzalez), so Honda would be off the table... he might make a good signing for the Quakes, he's versatile and only 31.

I also couldn't help but notice that recent Quakes target Salomon Kalou was among the many celebrities at Steve Nash's annual charity event.... NYCFC's video.

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Doyle reasoning

don gagliardi repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, what player did Doyle sign or even pursue who is comparable to Keisuke Honda?

Look, I have been advocating that the Quakes sign young DPs, like the ones Atlanta United recently brought in, since before Atlanta United was awarded an expansion franchise. That is definitely the ideal. But "well known star player with a good track record, just over age 30" is certainly preferable to "MPG, Djalo, Innocent, Dawkins" types (gambling on random unknown / unproven players) which is what the Quakes have been doing, at least until <fingers crossed> Vako... see most of the top DPs in MLS history like Thierry Henry, Robbie Keane, David Villa, Bastian Schweinsteiger... they all came to MLS around age 30-32.

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I was only referring to the line I quoted. I don't think "versatile and 31" is the way the 'Quakes want to go. A good 30+ year old is expensive and 'Quakes don't spend. I agree Honda is a better player than what Doyle could drag in, but let's just say, he and Vako are going to be the same price? (he's probably not going to be cheaper). They are going to pay for the younger player now.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably little to no relevance but man city is apparently having a fire sale with Hart, Nasri, Stones, and Bony. Later two are a nice dream

23. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lived in Manchester for a year and follow City only a bit less than the Quakes. No way City sells Stones but I was day dreaming about the Quakes signing Bony the other day ... he would destroy this league and I feel like he wouldn't mind coming to MLS if the money was right, but his wages are astronomical.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, and part of any rhetorical silly deal would require Man City to eat as much of his wages as possible. They have to know that going in to their "fire sales" now.

25. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Very worthy of a repost!

Sactown Soccer and jeff_adams repped this.