trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Kinda with you there.* I think we need a big target with wheels more than another A-mid. Unless we were really going to get someone dominant and special and goal-threatening, like a Valeri or Almiron.

But if we want an attacker... I'd go after some of the Revs.

Seriously! It's not like Ben Arfa is going to draw at the gate, we just want to play better soccer and win. Lee Nguyen would come cheaper and would be more of a sure bet. You know Lee Nguyen is going to entertain and produce - for that type of player. (Which, granted, is not Dom's type of player anyway.)

He's international quality but we probably wouldn't lose him to Nats call-ups. Very savvy veteran who scores and creates goals. His mix of ball skill, passing, dribbling, vision and creativity are dazzling. He's a quietly fierce competitor, but not a selfish player. And he knows this league, its travel challenges, team strengths and opponents inside out. He would be much less of a gamble than bringing in a non-MLSer.

It'd be sort of a DC United type move, but that's our budget. I'd rather grab a Lee Nguyen than read about famous internationals we've stopped courting because they're too expensive. And New England might give him up, since they have younger guys in Rowe, Fagundez and Agudelo who can all play as an attacking facilitator. But I'd take the veteran. Nguyen is a youngish 30, with lots of game smarts and still something to prove. He'll look great at 32 or 33 with the right players around him.

If we have money still to spend? Center Back. I hope Fatai is evolving to meet his potential for that position, but even so.

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    *And FWIW, not for fear of kicking Tommy Thompson down the ladder.

I'm no longer worried about Tommy Thompson's place in the club - his talent is not going to take this club to the next level and this club is not going to take his talent to the next level.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #4328 JazzyJ, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    I wouldn't mind Lee Nguyen either. He's a proven commodity and maybe they could swing a deal for him (Dawkins for Nguyen straight up! :) ) and acquire a center back or center forward.

One problem with Nguyen though - where would Dom play him? He'd probably stuff him out wide like he does every attacking mid, and then I'm not sure if he'd be as effective.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Tommy doesn't need to "take the club to the next level". There are very few players that can do that alone. But he can be a good player in the league, and already is IMO. I would just like to see them develop young talent for once, and they have more or less stalled him out for 3 years.

It is not so much about individuals but having the right combination of players, playing the right way. You said that Lee Nguyen would look great "with the right players around him". That goes for any number of players, including Tommy, who are less raw scorer and more like playmakers.

Futbol_Head and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Agree. But some group of players needs to. And though this club seems to be evolving, it's been hard for smallish, attack-oriented players to prove their worth. I was happy to see MPG more valued in Orlando, for example. I like having Tommy here as the semblance of a talented homegrown player, and I wish for more of them. But it's obvious to me that a change of scene could be great for him, and I don't mean Sacramento or Reno.

A new, truly dominant A mid would mean Hyka gets whatever role and minutes TT currently gets, amirite?

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It means there is another body to throw on the pile of attacking mids that Dom tries to hide on the wings. Let's see: Hyka, TT, Dawkins, Nguyen, Salinas, Cato, even Hoesen (in a round peg in a square hole kind of way). And last year, you could add MPG and even Innocent. If Nguyen plays there, he would probably be the best of the bunch. But I'm not sure it would really move the needle that much.

7. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I've always been a fan of 3-5-2, and happy to see it come back. Would seem to suit our roster, would love to see Nguyen in there.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Won't happen with Dom as the coach I don't think, though a few times he has gotten a wild hair when the team was down late, and he had given up on trying to secure the "close loss".

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter rumors:

876849097218633731 is not a valid tweet id

10. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    His highlights are pretty nasty! He looks quick and strong with good vision and good finishing ability (almost a 1 goal per 4 games ratio in the Dutch League) and is legitimately two footed. It appears he didn't miss much, if any, time through injury. He's 24 and should only get better as he enters his prime.

The only red flag I see is that he was loaned out to the top team in the Polish league at the start of this season -- I wonder why? I also wonder if that is an upgrade? They did play Pulisic's Dortmund in the Champions League, but his numbers and appearances went down.

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/7512/valeri-qazaishvili/

5* weak foot! My favorite attribute in a Fifa player (and also pretty rare -- only like 25 top players in game have it)

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You're talking about Qazaishvili, right? Yeah, I think what stands out for me is his strength. He's a bit stockier than the other Quakes outside mids, and looks like he is hard to move off the ball, and will take on one or more defenders.

Initially I was concerned - yet another short attacking mid that Dom will play on the outside, and will it really move the needle. But this guy looks like he might be different enough in that he is more apt to attack under pressure, and is more of a scorer than an assist guy. Quakes need more scorers and more guys who will attack with the ball on the ground under pressure. Hyka, TT, Dawkins, Hoesen, they all need some space, and the space isn't always there. And heck if you can't move the ball effectively by passing it, then someone just take it and dribble it upfield.

12. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyka is more creative and does better in the middle of the pitch, yet Dom doesn't play him there. So a move for yet another attacking midfielder is pointless. Unless Jesse dictates from on high that here is this AM from Vitesse and you (Kinnear) can't play him on the wing, not too excited.

tenfourteen repped this.
  13. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think it is almost certain that Dom will play him on the wing. And I think he plays either - wing or central.

"During Georgia's World Cup qualifying campaign, Qazaishvili has played in a wide midfield role in the team's 4-2-3-1 formation, while occasionally operating as a central playmaker."

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How long will it take for Dom to convert him from an attacker to a DCM with bite?

16. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A dental office should sign on as sponsor. The Team With Bite brought to you by XXXXX Dental.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well with Jesse you cant say we arent scouring the globe for talent. Albania, Georgia, Australia. Certainly better than all things carribean just to justify a vacation

leocal11, SJTillIDie and tenfourteen repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, after Georgia, we might just want to look to Florida for the next signing! :)

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now thats where i draw the line

jesus christ did i just make a country pun? gag me with a spoon.....

20. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Georgia on my mind.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ray charles meets stalin.jpg

There's a meme for everything. :)

22. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    According to the ESPN link he's not very aggressive or physical and is poor defensively. Sounds like Dom has his work cut out for him to mold him into a 'proper footballer'. My guess is after two practice sessions he'll be so far down on Dom's bench he'll actually start Tommy over him!

bsman repped this.
  23. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he'll bump Ceren from the starting line up and play ahead of Godoy.

Still need a true target forward...maybe we have a shot at Aussie Tomi Juric...supposedly he wants to come to MLS.

24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one mj! Hopefully he becomes the best Valeri in the league.