trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4201 xbhaskarx, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    There are plenty of fast white guys in soccer...

In any case the problem with the Quakes is they seem to value guys (of various races) who are speedy but limited in their tactical understanding and technical skill, Salinas, Nyassi, etc. All these Innocent and Djalo types we count on that end up being totally inadequate... Even Wynne, as decent of a job as he's done for us, was the #1 overall pick based on his speed, and never really developed the rest of his game to the point where he could be in the national team picture.

Obviously if two players are at the same level otherwise, you'd want the faster guy. But speed is hardly the most important trait to look for, see the success of Tommy McNamara aka Tubby Messi:
    And what happens when your speed is what gets you into the national team but then you miss the last two years with multiple knee surgeries? We'll find out this season with Minnesota United who signed (ridiculously fast white guy) Josh Gatt...

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...ster-build-status-all-22-mls-teams-ahead-2017

FEBRUARY 24 UPDATE: It seems like Trapp stock may be worth holding onto, while Tchani stock has taken a hit. It also looks like newcomer Jukka Raitala has won the left back job ahead of incumbent Waylon Francis, while Crognale's strong play has him in the mix for a starting role. Steffen, meanwhile, probably has the inside track on that No. 1 shirt.​

With Shaun Francis still our starter at LB, the Quakes should try to trade for Waylon Francis... he's only 26 and was the best LB in the league 2-3 years ago. Also he no longer takes up an international slot.

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the plan really is to start shaun francis at LB this season. It seems like dom's strategy to minimize his negative impact is to order him to never cross the ball or pass it forward. Yesterday he had numerous opportunities to put in an open cross. Sacramento did the same thing other teams did last year and sluffed off him to double team other players. But he didn't bite for the most part and just passed backwards to godoy or jungwirth. I still think this is stupid because you are limiting yourself by playing with a guy who is obviously catastrophically deficient and unable to do basic things to participate in possession/attacking play.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah it was particularly noticeable yesterday, like even worse than normal. I wonder if they are telling him to stay at home and give Lima the freedom to move forward, so that they effectively morph to 3-5-2 at times. Going to make it tough on the left mid. Jahmir may not get a hykav a lot of opportunities to work in space.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland just waived Jack Mac..........If we ever wanted to ensure we have an heir apparent to a wondo type poacher....

why aren't we all over this as of yesterday???

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe because if they waived him, he isn't that good?

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes a poacher, Wondo isn't gonna be around forever. When we brought Wondo on he was a fringe MLS player at best. Have Wondo spin the kid up and back him up for a few years, hes useful to us.

Question is, is he better than our current bench options? why yes......yes he is. Easy decision.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #4208 JazzyJ, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Better than Hoesen or Urena or Dawkins? Probably not. That said the Quakes should have a younger forward or 2 in the pipeline, though Jack is not that young anymore. He has been pretty impressively productive though in MLS.

I would have liked them to also take another look at Cameron Iwasa, who the Quakes had in camp at one point, and who scored a boatload of goals for Sac last year. We should have learned from Wondo that we should not dismiss guys who score boatloads of goals at lower levels. Unfortunately SKC picked him up from our own backyard.

Another thing though - you don't have to play with a poacher. You could have a target and a speedy crafty guy for example. The problem with a poacher who is not necessarily fast or crafty is that if you pair him with with a big target guy you have no speed at forward and if you pair him with a smaller speed guy you have no height.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4209 falvo, Mar 2, 2017
    Why are there always comparisons to Wondo? Don't you know he is a once in a lifetime freak of nature found once every 2o -30 years? How many players have been found like him in MLS since 1996?

Although I'd be happy if they found one , I can assure you we won't see many Wondo's anytime soon. Also , our great current head coach is the idiot who let Wondo slip away for Cam Weaver and I doubt he has the eye to spot a sleeper who is in the fringe of being a great or even good player. He may have had that ability in 2005 but not now.

ColinMcCarthy and tenfourteen repped this.
  10. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be as simple as no cap space. Isn't he pretty expensive?

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah he has been productive. Those are not quite Wondo numbers but he is still only 24 so it is possible that he improves. Just checked his salary. It is a bit high - $270k or so in 2016.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since hes waived though, we could bring him back under a better price right?

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #4214 falvo, Mar 2, 2017
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd take Jack Mack in a NY minute. I'd sell Dawkins to get him...

Beerking, DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's expensive and he doesn't really fit in all that well with the Timbers system. These days most teams play with one forward. McInerney is like Wondo in that he pretty much needs a two forward system to be successful. Maybe a half dozen teams fit the profile at this point, Toronto (Altidore and Giovinco), Chicago (Nikolic and De Leeuw), New England (Kamara and Agudelo), Orlando (Larin and Rivas), and the Quakes.

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Jack MacInerney kind of like Quincy in the way he can irritate defenders?
    I'd like to bring him on board. Only 24 years old.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Jack Mac goal from 2014...

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My only concern with "Jack Mack" is that he doesn't stick anywhere. I don't know if that indicates he's not a good locker room guy or just that he requires a specific alignment or set of supporting players to prosper.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need Jack Mac b/c if for some reason Wondo falls apart this year we can easily slot dawkins into that withdrawn forward spot and he is much better than jack mac. We should save that cap space for the summer dp or a left back to replace shaun francis.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Our left back is in Reno.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From a poster on Facebook of which I will not post his name.....

[​IMG]

DotMPP repped this.
  23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can't think about replacing Wondolowski with another player like Wondolowski. For how good of a finisher he was, he was never someone a team should have been built around. To go all in on another player of the same type would be forfeiting what little progress the team has managed to make since Doyle was fired.

This team needs guys who can both create chances and finish them. Wondolowski can do one but not the other, and nobody else can do either. McInerny would be like every other forward who has had the misfortune of playing for San Jose, left on an island without a way to score goals.

24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have trouble believing we'd spend an international slot on a goalkeeper.

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, Hanley is one of the very best at developing domestic talent. Tarbell will be good enough by next year to be a number one.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.