Trade Bill Hamid NOW

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Jul 23, 2016.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides, Bill Hamid probably will be playing at a top level for years to come. He is D.C. United's anchor and should be for at least a dozen to 15 years to come.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what I can tell, this year with Hamid (W-D-L) 2-5-2 (1.22 ppg) without Hamid 3-6*-7 (.94 ppg)

since starting May 27 after his early-season injury absence, he has failed to start 2 games, one of which was an Open Cup game. Last year he played in 31 games (Boswell played 36 in comparison) and was MLS Goalkeeper of the year.

*US Open Cup loss on PK's counted as a draw

Winoman repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt he'll play here that long.

4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched a piece where Landon Donovan interviewed Joe Cannon, Kasey Keller and Kevin Hartman. They were asked who they thought are the best keepers in MLS. Not one mention of Hamid. They cited Rimando, Blake, Ousted, Frei, Robles, even Brian Rowe was named by Cannon and Hartman.

What am I missing here?

tallguy repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    A lobotomy?

Oveki8 and DCUSA repped this.
  6. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    A vested interest? Some would want to tout old school, some would want to tout potential. Few are willing to tout the guy that would make everyone forget about the person doing the touting.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one can forget Kasey Keller, everyone has already forgotten Kevin Hartman and Joe Bazooka.

Okay, we would have forgotten Kevin Hartman if not for that loop playing through all our heads daily of Roy Lassiter and Ben Olsen making him their bitch in MLS Cup '99.

It does seem very odd none mentioned Hamid - an astute interviewer might have asked why the 2014 GKOY was not brought up ... then again Robles won it in 2015 that certainly doesn't make him an elite GK :)

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid has also been injured quite a bit over the past few years. Who knows how much they have seen him.
    But Brian Rowe? Mentioning him as one of the best in MLS makes me doubt the whole interview/their opinions...
    Of the three, I've only heard Keller be interviewed. I'm not sure he's a great judge of talent. Also, Hartman may have a vested interest in Rowe/LA...?

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    IMHO Rimando, Blake and Ousted are all outstanding although I would take Hamid over any of them in a heartbeat. I suppose Howard should be in the discussion too. Frei and Robles fall somewhere in the middle below Bingham, Bush and Johnson. Rowe is close to the bottom and would be a third-stringer on Houston, Colorado or Portland.

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Since when is Hartman is considered an expert on GK talent? Isn't he the Galaxy rube who got scored on when Mario Gori (?) took the ball off his feet in the goal mouth.

fatbastard repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gori Gori Hallelujah

Sorry, went back in time there for a sec ...

Oveki8 and Winoman repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frequent injuries. Hamid may never again play a full season for any team anywhere again.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I somehow saw this thread just now for the first time. Of all the players we've had under Bruce Arena, I would add very few to his rosters. Bill Hamid and Christian Gomez are tops on the list. Hamid hasn't lived up to his initial hype - which I think is a good thing. Otherwise, he'd be in Europe. It allows DCU to keep him for longer. Bill is a guy that gets us points. If you put an attacking team in front of him that plays a high line and plays the off-side trap a lot, he will bail you out. He's a key cog in an attacking team that we've wasted with our tactics. I hope we can hang on to him for his entire career and he will be worth max money.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you think? Over the last 5 years the best GK in MLS, certainly top 3. For the love of me, I can't understand why nobody has come for him from Europe, but his career has at least 10 more years.

Not sure, are we still supposed to trade Hamid?

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Dear lord my heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread bumped ...

But seriously nobody in this business is above being traded or sold. I wouldn't go out of my way to get rid of him, but if a big Euro club came in with a multi million dollar offer it's kind of a no brainer

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injuries, no doubt, have been a factor. Also, since Hamid didn't go to college and came straight out of the D.C. Academy -- so, he has less of a pedigree than most MLS keepers. Even so, he's not a kid anymore and, when healthy, he's a monster between the pipers.

It's a mystery. But, Klinsmann doesn't rate him highly and that's probably a good clue about why nobody's come knocking on the door so far for him.

17. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    He's as good a goalkeeper as any in the world when it comes to making unbelievable stops. But, he'll let in too many cheap goals for a goalie of high caliber and sometimes just lacks composure back there and panicks in nonpressure situations. Pretty much the reason he's still in MLS.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    yah had me there until you mentioned JK

Heist repped this.
  19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he actually?
    I know that was the book on him years ago. I'm not sure those are things he does more than any other good (but not world class) goalie.
    I'll grant that he's been good, but not his best since coming back from his latest injury because I've seen that argument a bit recently. But he's still been good enough to be right there with freaking Ethan Horvath, Yarbrough, and Bingham rather than strangely behind all three on the depth chart.

I'd put it on injuries pretty much. He hasn't been able to stay healthy long enough to get NT looks.

Boloni86 and dadman repped this.
  20. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Bingham has been better this year in my opinion, he has been quite a revelation lately in how good he is playing after being under the radar for a while. Hamid is still way up there, but he has given up too many soft goals, out of position goals, poor awareness goals to be considered top 5 in the league this year. Not to say other goalies have been perfect, but there are plenty with less mistakes for sure. Health too has been a concern obviously.

I wouldn't "trade" him, but if a team came in throwing around serious cash, say in the 5-8 million dollar range and he wanted to go, I don't see how you stand in the way. But no chance anyone in MLS is worth his being traded away. I wouldn't even take Giovinco or Villa for him. Not that that would ever happen, but just saying he's that valuable to us and those guys wouldn't likely change DC's fortunes enough to make up for his loss.

dadman repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think his distribution is that great, which would work against him in European leagues that play a more possession oriented game. Great shot stopper, for sure.

22. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I think it's a black mark on Bill's international rep that he isn't getting regular call-ups to the USMNT.

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    well, yes, I agree - Unfortunately, most club managers even in Europe probably don't do due diligent scouting of American talent on the club level, and only look at national team games and play-off games. And asking themselves, what the hell are these "Play-Off Games" anyways.

Oveki8 and tallguy repped this.
  24. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    As a non-expert fan I think that evaluating goalkeepers is pretty tough. At the professional level the difference between great, okay and mediocre keepers is pretty small, as evidenced by the frequency with which highly touted keepers change clubs and then don't live up to expectations. Here in DC I believe there's a strong consensus that the number of certain goals that Bill has saved far exceeds the number of goals he has given up that any other keeper on the planet would have saved. If that isn't enough to impress JK or Euro coaches, so much the better for DCU. Let's pay Bill the premium dollars he deserves for his worth to this club, and if an elite euro club is ever willing to handsomely compensate Bill and DCU then congrats to both.

Boloni86, tallguy and song219 repped this.
  25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I hope that Hamid is the keeper when we eventually win the CONCACAF Champions League and go on to play in the World Club Cup. Hey, it ought to happen within the next dozen to fifteen years or so, right?