Townhall Notes

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Ruud11, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Extracting the highest valuation for expansion fees? I actually think the league feels he's probably the best man for the job. He was in at $25m and they're at ~$150m+. Pretty damn fine work in 10 years. For owners who get a slice. Also, the best way to improve your club is with the other guy's money.

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't attend the town hall because I was on vacation. I'm not sure I'd really sure I was up for the spin anyway. I genuinely feel like I'm done as a STH. I cannot think of any reason why I should invest in another season of this given the gap between the Union and everyone else. Even if I try to look at the roster flexibility as a positive, it really requires me to 1) think that this time the FO will make better decisions about which players to bring in, 2) that these players will actually perform at a level week to week that gives them a chance to win a playoff game, 3) that Curtin can actually do something with the group, and 4) that another year of significant roster turnover isn't going to create problems with chemistry and lead to another slow start.

Its seven years of the same thing. The first couple of years we had the benefit of it being new and being on the ascendancy. Now, its a free fall. This team lost to Columbus, DC, Montreal, and NE teams that it should beat and didn't look good in any of them. The Dallas game was just weird looking at things in context. I have followed sports long enough to know that we cannot guarantee anything. This isn't competitive and there isn't anything that I see which makes the stated plan seem possible or even believable.I want to be a fan and I want to be a STH, but I don't feel like I can do this given the current direction. The whole league is moving forward without us.

I think the only way I could renew is if I could opt out and get a refund after the first few games. At least make this experience somewhat reciprocal.

Amscray, gettysburg11, aequitas and 7 others repped this.
  3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly the only reason I'm still renewing at this point is because it's an excuse to see and hang out with some friends I wouldn't see as often otherwise...

cwelch999 and billf repped this.
  4. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should have mentioned at the town hall that we have played 2 more games than Atlanta...if they win both they will be 12 points ahead. Is that not significant?

billf repped this.
  5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm baffled why they don't/haven't placed him on that season ending injury list, like Robbie Rodgers et al.

cwelch999 repped this.
  6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anybody holding season tickets who honestly expects to see a successful soccer team. You really have to be delusional to think otherwise. And watching the "Philadelfhia" Union screw everything up in new and innovative ways is amusing in its own way.

7. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Listening to season ticket holders over on the subreddit, it seems a lot of them aren't even there for the Union at all. They're there to see other teams' star players as essentially neutral fans.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie did mention this....

9. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hold season tickets and honestly expect to see a successful soccer team eventually.

cwelch999 repped this.
  10. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    are they confused between the Sixers and the Union?

EdBacon repped this.
  11. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Because we're the Whose Line Is It Anyway? of MLS clubs: where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

(Please someone make that catchphrase our new tagline)

12. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why are you still a STH? It won't happen until Sugarman sells. If you actually expect a Jay Sugarman owned MLS franchise to be successful, you are delusional.

13. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read he mentioned the small point gap but not the fact we've played 2 more games. My point is his statement is misleading. At the time, the point gap was 3, but could easily be 9 if it was assumed they win their two games in hand. 9 points is significant in my eyes.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad we don't have a Drew Carey type owner then ...

15. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then maybe I'm delusional. I expect a Jay Sugarman owned MLS franchise to be successful.

Maybe our definitions of successful are different. What is your definition of successful?

16. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Perhaps only missing the playoffs twice in eight years, instead of only making it that many times.

cwelch999, Ruud11, gettysburg11 and 2 others repped this.
  17. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making the playoffs 80% of the time and winning a couple playoff games would be success for me. This team fades down the stretch every single year. It lucked into the playoffs last year and never had a chance to win the game. My only voice in demanding better is to withhold my money. This owner will not be successful. We've all heard rumblings about money issues from day one.

There are ways in MLS to both be a successful business and put a compelling product on the field. At this point it appears to me that the organization is willing to take the free safe money, do the bare minimum, and skirt its way to a modest profit or break even. If that means fewer than 8k season tickets and and avg attendance of under 16k, then so be it seems to be the philosophy. Maybe that makes sense financially. Let's say we drop $8m on a 9 and 10 combined. You spend serious money on a proven coach too and you sell 5k season tix more and sell out all 17 home games. The additional revenue is not making up that spend. However, I think you get more merch sales, offer better value to sponsors, and drive some demand for seats. Waiting 5 more years for Fontana and some 13yo is just not something I get excited about. Its not my money, but if you look around the league and expect people like me to drop 3k on seats to watch an team that can't create regular scoring chances while new LA signs Vela, Atlanta signs Almiron, etc is insulting.

gettysburg11 and LimeTree repped this.
  18. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams in MLS have made the playoffs 75% of the time or more over the past 8 seasons?

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC LA SEA RSL RB

Also notable NE, Portland, Van, Colorado and Montreal have made the playoffs more in this time span

Amscray and thomas19064 repped this.
  20. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Could we at least win a playoff game? I would like to tell that story to my kid sometime... how the Union made it to the playoff and won a game!

buzzkiller23 and Starpork repped this.
  21. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I all of a sudden feel like Andy Dufresne in the warden's office.

22. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    CCL plz

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the marbles.

BuddhaWake and billf repped this.
  24. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "You see, kids, they were gold blooded.."

BuddhaWake, CITY&UNION and Starpork repped this.
  25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to come back to this, I do not think its unreasonable to expect the playoffs every year. I mean that. This is a big market and several teams do this annually when half the league makes the playoffs. Since the Union arrived, Red Bull, Seattle, and LA made the playoffs every year. RSL and KC made the playoffs in 6 of 7 years. Dallas, Colorado, and Columbus made it 4/7. That's 8 teams making it more than they miss. DC, Montreal, NE and Vancouver made the playoffs three times each. DC was terrible when the Union entered and they still made the playoffs more often with Ben Olsen as the freaking coach. Same for NE under Jay Heaps. Let that sink in. Montreal and Vancouver entered the league one and two years after the Union. Portland made the playoffs twice in one fewer seasons but managed to win the title once. Toronto also two out of seven playoff years, but they've been to a final and will make the playoffs and contend again. The only teams as bad as the Union is Houston, who beat us in a playoff appearance, and San Jose. Chicago is the only team to make the playoffs fewer times, once in seven years. This organization has clearly responded to the futility... Basically we suck balls.

Amscray, cwelch999, thomas19064 and 7 others repped this.