Tournament of Nations 2018 (USA, BRZ, JPN, AUS)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Jul 10, 2018.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes (at least I think so), for ten seconds.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least she gets the cap on her resume.

#braggingrights

blissett repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well I would not say that Australia dominated at all but they won by two. If Japan's GK had just an average international level game the score would have been 0-0.

As I said in an earlier post this means that if the US does not win their game by two or more Australia wins this pseudo-tournament.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would of picked Alana Kennedy as mvp of the game even if she didn't score that goal. She's arguably the best CB in the world.

lot of positives for the Matildas , definitely a new star is born in Carpenter(since Ford is still ailing). On the con side, they got to get more variety in their attack, than constantly going to Kerr

5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Carpenter has a chance to make the new All-Movement team.
    Gotta keep that tradition alive, since the All-Madden team is a thing of the past.

The previous team (from early 2016):

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll start the argument: These CBs are all better than Kennedy: Wendie Renard, Steph Houghton, Beckie Sauerbrunn, Nilla Fischer, and right now Abby Erceg.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Tierna Davidson is the best CB in the world, in terms of raw materials/potential.

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree to disagree on Kennedy. I'd say in the top 10, maybe.
    Carpenter is going to be the real deal; she's got a lot of upside.

CoachJon repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Brazil's RB Rayanne is one to keep an eye for the future...perhaps another Fabiana in the making. :thumbsup:

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah, Davidson is a keeper. Lol

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davidson scores golazos! :)

:oops:

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Davidson proves she can defend AND put the ball in the net, at the SAME time.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    final score US 4, Brazil 1, or was it 5-0? can't find an Brazilian that scored.

Siberian Thunder@; now that Australia beat 2 higher FIFA ranked teams does this mean they get to move up???
    and what about Japan; 3 straight losses, two of them against lower ranked opponents, will the sun set on them?
    Renard; probably more skillful than Kennedy, but at times, just not involved/or not as hard as a worker

Houghton; she's a bit slow, I remember under the previous coach, Sampson, who played a very high line, When it got breached it was Bronze from RB trotting back way more swifter than Stephanie & saving Bardley's butt

the Brunski; currently Ellis's #3 choice at CB

Fischer; It's faded glory, I've been watching every Bundi game of the week for years which her WOB team played quite & yep, I've seen her get burned quite often in those times.

Erceg, she did look good last Sunday, she too's a Bundi veteran, with a loosing club named Jena before she came to the states.

with Kennedy you get an very agile player of which the coach showed so much confidence in her that he switched out early in the game the other CB for an more offensive minded one. and Alana is only 23!

14. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't- their goal was a US own goal

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I haven't run the calcs to see exactly, but yes Australia's two wins (and an officially-away draw) against closely-ranked opponents will earn them points, and considering the rankings are pretty tight in terms of ratings, I'd expect them to move up two or three spots. The fact that AUS were the lowest-ranked coming actually doesn't matter much because the ratings themselves were so close - the margins of victory are more important here. Likewise, Japan will lose points, but the only loss that will hurt them a lot will be the 0-2 to Australia (the loss to USA won't hurt too much because USA was very favored by rating, and the same for Brazil losing to the USA); that said, again it's pretty tight, so I'd expect Japan to drop two or three spots as well.

I'd expect it to be a close call between Canada and Australia for the #5 rank, then Brazil and Netherlands as close for #7, with Japan down to #9 - but I'd have to actually do the calcs to be sure.

Of course, we still have a few UEFA qualifiers to play before the next rankings come out, so Netherlands can still break out of the 7/8 band either way, and England need to not stumble.